University of Maryland English

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Football823

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering how strict the english pre-requisites are for Maryland's english courses. They require 2 english courses that are both writing intensive. I have 2 english courses, however, neither are writing intensive. I do have other classes including a composition class and 3 labs that were writing intensive. Does anyone know if it is possible to get accepted without completing the necessary requirements because I am a going to be senior, and I do not have the room to fit two english courses in my schedule.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Best thing to do is to contact UMD admissions. Give them a call and send them an e-mail. They were pretty prompt with me because I had similar questions about courses. Some schools will ask you to provide a course description of your possible classes. Best of luck!

Ask them but my advice is if you have the money to always apply because there are no clear set rules to what is considered intensive. If you get in, then just take online english writing courses before you matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked them and they just repeated the requirements back to me, but my application for Maryland is already completed. I was really hoping to get an interview from Maryland, but I just do not know if I will be able to fulfill those two courses.

Can I ask what English courses you took. And also from my experience living in Maryland, the state's requirements would just follow the Freshman/Sophomore Fundamentals of English courses. But if you took a third English course one that is heavily composition or literature based the School would commonly see it more favorable. Their definition of writing intense means that you write at least 3 papers, which are worth most of your grade during the course. So pretty much something that isn't some random creative writing or easy A class for English.

I asked them and they just repeated the requirements back to me, but my application for Maryland is already completed. I was really hoping to get an interview from Maryland, but I just do not know if I will be able to fulfill those two courses.
I think everyone's is complete when they submit it.

Can I ask what English courses you took. And also from my experience living in Maryland, the state's requirements would just follow the Freshman/Sophomore Fundamentals of English courses. But if you took a third English course one that is heavily composition or literature based the School would commonly see it more favorable. Their definition of writing intense means that you write at least 3 papers, which are worth most of your grade during the course. So pretty much something that isn't some random creative writing or easy A class for English.
yeah they are both 100 level english courses called intro to fiction and intro to poetry. The courses aren't labeled writing intensive, however, I was required to write 3 papers for both.

I took an online EN101 English composition class and will take an online 300 level Advanced English composition in the Spring to fulfill MD's English requirements. An EN102 survey of American literature wasn't going to cut it. I think you end up doing a fair bit of writing in any English course, but some are focused more on improving your technique and execution (i.e. composition) than on the topic. Can you take an online composition course prior to matriculation? I'm finishing my last 3 prereqs this year while the interview/admissions drama plays out.

yeah they are both 100 level english courses called intro to fiction and intro to poetry. The courses aren't labeled writing intensive, however, I was required to write 3 papers for both.
Not sure if those would count based on their names intro to fiction and intro to poetry. Since the basic English courses are commonly called Fundamentals of English 1 and 2 in the State of Maryland. Also if your not truly sure go on here Search Credit Policies look for your undergraduate college and see what the AP English courses it translates to and that should be the 2 course that would most likely be accepted. Also Fund of Eng 1 would have you write an analysis, argumentative, and 2 others while Fund of Eng 2 had you read and write essay with Poetry, Drama and short stories with each being worth 10-25% of your grade.

When you listed your classes in your application, how did you classify them?

Your composition class will likely count. Generally there is a professional writing, junior english, type course that most people take. I would not stress out about it