University of Manitoba - Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megaman1x

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a long shot, but has anyone on this forum been accepted into the University of Manitoba as part of the class of 2010?

I got my acceptance as of May 15, but unfortunately nobody else I know that has applied has received an acceptance letter yet (hopefully on June 5th for them). It'd be nice to know someone on the first day of class....

Members don't see this ad.

megaman1x said:
This is a long shot, but has anyone on this forum been accepted into the University of Manitoba as part of the class of 2010?

I got my acceptance as of May 15, but unfortunately nobody else I know that has applied has received an acceptance letter yet (hopefully on June 5th for them). It'd be nice to know someone on the first day of class....
maybe try http://p090.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm73
you'll be able to find fellow acceptees over there!
congrats!

lol I've been there. I've found maybe 1 or 2 at the most. Hardly any IP people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darn, and they've handed out 60 IP acceptances already? I personally know 2 people that got in the first round, but I haven't heard yet; I'm waiting until June 5th.

It seems like those 30 spots left will be far spread among lots of people. The chances aren't looking good. :(

megaman, do you mind posting your stats?

Mine - 4.34 AGPA, 10.5 MCAT, alright interview (nothing special)

4.22 AGPA
10.5 MCAT
I thought my interview went really well (hard to judge though obviously)

megaman1x said:
4.22 AGPA
10.5 MCAT
I thought my interview went really well (hard to judge though obviously)

No, I don't think it's that hard to judge. Sometimes, you just have that gut feeling. My feeling about my interview is only so-so (and the more I think about it, the worse I feel about it - boo).

However, there are times when you really don't know. My MCAT is a good example for me. I had no idea how I did (and was pleasantly surprised when I found out).

I meant in the sense that you never know what the interview panel is thinking. They may be the nicest panel out of the bunch and might make you think you did have a good interview when in actuality....they are just nice people being nice!

Whereas, you may have a really stern, unfriendly panel who may give off bad vibes. This might make you think you did terrible on your interview, however, in actuality...you might have impressed the panel!

I've heard horror stories about U of M panel interviews.

What do you mean? Like, the panel was indifferent/borderline rude/tough?

They are VERY subjective compared to other Canadian medical school interview panelists. They ask weird/off the wall questions sometimes.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I actually like it. But it can be crappy for others who like to have objective interviews that are "by the book", so to speak.

Yeah, I definitely had some "wtf?" questions. I hope my eyes/mouth didn't communicate that I was thinking that.

Just stories about really mean panels, or serious ethical dilemmas professionals don't have opinions on. I think more people just choking when it comes to questions that provoke such deep thought in a very confrontational way.

On the flip side, I thought UBC's was *too* standardized. It was completely predictable and there was nothing to provoke me at all - no probing into my thought patterns, LOL. So, very little real chance to shine. If you didn't have an answer to a question, you could just make one up (which I think is totally bunk). A few ethical questions that put some pressure on and challenge your ability to articulate what you think and how you work out a problem would be welcome, I think. Perhaps it wouldn't *feel* welcome at the time of the interview, LOL, but I think they'd really help in the "weeding" process. On the other hand, anything confrontational is just wrong - as if we're not stressed enough already! Just MHO.

tiger_lily said:
On the flip side, I thought UBC's was *too* standardized. It was completely predictable and there was nothing to provoke me at all - no probing into my thought patterns, LOL. So, very little real chance to shine. If you didn't have an answer to a question, you could just make one up (which I think is totally bunk). A few ethical questions that put some pressure on and challenge your ability to articulate what you think and how you work out a problem would be welcome, I think. Perhaps it wouldn't *feel* welcome at the time of the interview, LOL, but I think they'd really help in the "weeding" process. On the other hand, anything confrontational is just wrong - as if we're not stressed enough already! Just MHO.

You're right. That's why I sort of preferred the U of M interview scheme. They asked me pretty personalized specific questions to me which I liked because it gave me my time to shine and to incorporate my own experiences/thoughts. On the other hand...lol...with this method, it's not hard to get someone angry at you (even though they are supposed to unbiased...but it's human nature)

For those who interviewed aside from Manitoba, what was the interview process like? Similiar, or just as different as the schools?