University of Limerick Interviews 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info, I'm really excited to come! What is limerick like as a city to live in?

Limerick is the Hamilton of Ireland. University and industry town, central but not huge. It has everything you need and a couple of gems. The market on Saturdays is my favourite!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Would you guys recommend Cappa or Quigley to live in 1st year? Or another building? I'm really wanting to live in Rez but unsure where. I want somewhere quiet and it would be nice to meet students in other faculties too

You're going to get all the info you need soon from the Medsoc I think but this is the rundown:

- you want a post grad res (Quigley or Cappa, maybe Thomond) not one with undergrads. Unless you want to deal with ridiculous kiddie noise during times when you're studying and they're not (always)

- I live in Quigley. It's new and it's beautiful and spacious. And it's 95% med students. Max 4 per apartment. Cappa is good too, 4 or 6 to an apartment. More of a community feel. Mix of undergrads and postgrads.

- all residences have bathrooms in each bedroom. It's wonderful.

- Quigley has wifi in the kitchen area, the others need a router I believe if you want it

You can always live off campus too, which is cheaper but also not as convenient for walking (Quigley and Cappa are about 20 steps from the med building). I was really set on being off campus to save money but the convenience of being 2 min from the med building won out. I like being able to go home for an hour break for food or whatever but I also hate libraries so that works for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a heads up...
There is a proposed change to the scheduler that is more than likely going to be implemented. Ultimately, it results in less time for North American electives (which equates to less chances in matching back home), increased number of students in clinical rotations and less break time following third year = student burn out.

I just thought I would let you in on what's really going on before you hand over your hefty deposit.

Hey shadow74,

Thanks so much for posting this information. Do you have a copy of the old schedule as well? It would be nice to visually compare the old schedule to these proposed changes.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to get all the info you need soon from the Medsoc I think but this is the rundown:

- you want a post grad res (Quigley or Cappa, maybe Thomond) not one with undergrads. Unless you want to deal with ridiculous kiddie noise during times when you're studying and they're not (always)

- I live in Quigley. It's new and it's beautiful and spacious. And it's 95% med students. Max 4 per apartment. Cappa is good too, 4 or 6 to an apartment. More of a community feel. Mix of undergrads and postgrads.

- all residences have bathrooms in each bedroom. It's wonderful.

- Quigley has wifi in the kitchen area, the others need a router I believe if you want it

You can always live off campus too, which is cheaper but also not as convenient for walking (Quigley and Cappa are about 20 steps from the med building). I was really set on being off campus to save money but the convenience of being 2 min from the med building won out. I like being able to go home for an hour break for food or whatever but I also hate libraries so that works for me.

This is great information! I have a few questions;
1. For most people living off campus, how long is the commute to class (i.e. is it walkable)?
2. For people who went straight to living off campus in first year, how did they find their houses and roommates? Also what % of the class lives in res vs off campus?
3. Does Limerick have public transit? If so, what's it like?
4. Earlier in the thread some people mentioned the necessity of a car to reach the rural practices. Does this mean someone would be able to get away without a car in first year?

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

This is great information! I have a few questions;
1. For most people living off campus, how long is the commute to class (i.e. is it walkable)?
2. For people who went straight to living off campus in first year, how did they find their houses and roommates? Also what % of the class lives in res vs off campus?
3. Does Limerick have public transit? If so, what's it like?
4. Earlier in the thread some people mentioned the necessity of a car to reach the rural practices. Does this mean someone would be able to get away without a car in first year?

Thanks for taking the time to answer :)

1. Depending where you live off campus, but usually it's 20-40 minutes walk. People do get bikes and depending on your place, there would be a bus or shuttle (like Brookfield). Most walk or bike. The Irish tend to live off campus and some have cars so there are carpools that happen.

2. The biggest complaint I've heard is not roommates, but landlords and navigating the bills and stuff. There will / should be a welcome package from the Med Soc sent out that will help you navigate this if you live off campus (there was last year). For percentages, I would say 95% of the Canadian first years live on campus, and about 85% of the Irish first years live off campus. This shifts in 2nd year a bit, but there are still lots of Canadians on campus in residence in 2nd year.

3. Yes, it has public transit. There are buses that go straight into town from campus and from most places students live. It's a 25 minute bus ride from campus into town as the University is actually in another town (Castletroy) not Limerick proper. It's fine, it works, I use it when needed. It's 1.6-1.80 per ride without a pass one way, depending on the bus. Taxis from campus are 8-15 Euro into town. I'm used to having my car at home, but I've adjusted :)

4. You don't need a car in 1st year. Or 2nd year. Save the money (insurance) for later when you need it. Buses work, and often people who have cars in the class (Irish / UK) are great in giving you lifts to Dublin or into town or to the airport or whatever if needed. I just got back from a classmate's house up in the Northwest, and an Irish classmate drove myself, and 3 other people. You just chip in for gas. About a quarter of the on campus people get bikes by the end of the year, that's as fancy as you need if you want it.

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone! When will we have information on class schedule and all that good stuff?

I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone! When will we have information on class schedule and all that good stuff?

You won't find out your schedule until Orientation Week. That's how it worked last year. They have to wait until the Irish accept offers, and those don't go out until beginning of August.

Once you guys get your fees / LOCs and living sorted, you just relax and enjoy your summer.

Hey shadow74,

Thanks so much for posting this information. Do you have a copy of the old schedule as well? It would be nice to visually compare the old schedule to these proposed changes.

Thanks!

Here is this years schedule.

The ssm at the end of second year is the following the allied health care professional, the one at xmas in third year is an art project (legit art project, i did a painting...) and the fourth year ssm is a proper research project. Most people went back home for all of these.

Canadians have historically chosen groups e and f for fourth year beacuse carms applications have to be in in oct, so any electives done after that are useless.

If you do med/surg in limerck in third year, you have to go to a peripheral hospital for med/surg in fourth year and vice versa

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 147
So basically they're cutting our most important elective (research project) in half and putting half before carms applications and half after? A bit concerning. Who can we talk to about this?

Prof. Deirdre McGrath and Prof. Michael Larvin.

I would demand to speak to them considering you are future UL students and have just been accepted under false pretenses. They should have been upfront with all potential candidates at the interviews and they weren't.

Hey shadow74,

Thanks!

This was the 2014-2015 4-year calendar they sent out to us FEBRUARY 11, 2014.

In a recent e-mail to GEMS students, we were informed that the plan to change the schedule has been in the works for 2 years. Nice of them to drop this on us over our reading week 2 months after sending out a finalized 2014-2015 calendar.

Attachments

• 4yr_Calendar_2014_2015.pdf
    21.8 KB · Views: 99
First off, I just want to say congratulations to everyone else who has been accepted at UL this year! Also, thanks to all the existing students for the valuable insight into the program and the City of Limerick itself. It's a little disconcerting to hear about the proposed schedule changes after the faculty just gave us a 2 hour spiel on the existing program/schedule.

Basically, it looks like the schedule is changing from a 9 week summer vacation plus 6 weeks of a SSM, which could be 15 weeks straight of time for electives, studying, the OSCE etc., to 5 weeks of summer vacation plus a 3 week SSM. That's almost half the amount of time! I can understand the benefit of a reading break in January to align with CARMS interviews, but is 3 weeks necessary? It seems a little strange that they are increasing the enrollment of international students while simultaneously making the schedule more difficult for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
As much as I hate to say it, it's all about the money.
The course fees for graduate medicine for 2013/14 are €14,915 for EU students and €38,500 for non-EU students. Enough said.

It will either be thrown out and re-worked (hopefully with our input) or passed through. I think it was unanimous in that no student would want it, as the proposed schedule stands, to be passed. But we're not the ones voting, though there is a petition signed.

It was brought up that these changes be communicated to incoming students, regardless. It seems like some of you guys (or lurkers) have contacted the administration too voicing your concerns.

Hi everyone! MedSoc will be posting a document with lots of essential information (accommodation, getting to and from limerick, cell phone plans, etc.) to the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/546538502126796/) very shortly! In the mean time, just sit tight and enjoy your acceptances and your summer vacation!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a little upset that everyone has been so negative towards the school. I knew coming into the school it was going to be a bit of a struggle getting back to Canada, but I made an educated decision to come to UL. And I have no regrets. I love it over here; from the people to the Irish culture, there is so much to be gained from this experience abroad...especially as a Canadian. Europe is very different than Canada an I quite like that.

I know it is concerning to everyone, me included, that the program may change. I do not believe the school is out to sabotage the non-EU students. I think there was a miscommunication(timing being a major issue) and now there is a lot of backfire from the students. I know it is concerning, being a potential newcomer to UL and hearing about all these proposed changes...but do know that they have not been fully put through. There was a meeting today about it and tomorrow is the final vote. The staff are trying to alter the program to accomodate the feedback from previous Canadian/American UL graduates to help future non-EU student get residencies and elective back home. I know this may not be the ideal situation for all electives and it will limit you to some school for specific specialties, but keep in mind...UL in NOT a bad school. I am upset to hear people declining offers due to this issue. Either way, if you do plan your electives strategically and are willing to put in the effort, I do believe there will be no major issues. There may be a few more 'bumps in the road' but I do hope you understand that the views expressed on this forum are of a select few students. Not all of us believe the school is out to get us.

This school is great and I can't elaborate enough about how much I have come to love Ireland. Consider your options and weigh them to what you think suits you best, but again, make the decision for yourself and don't be persuaded to give up the lifelong goal of being a doctor because of this. It would be a shame to hear about students declining offers to what I think... is a spectacular medical program. The final decision is supposed to be decided tomorrow, so we will keep you posted.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm a little upset that everyone has been so negative towards the school. I knew coming into the school it was going to be a bit of a struggle getting back to Canada, but I made an educated decision to come to UL. And I have no regrets. I love it over here; from the people to the Irish culture, there is so much to be gained from this experience abroad...especially as a Canadian. Europe is very different than Canada an I quite like that.

I know it is concerning to everyone, me included, that the program may change. I do not believe the school is out to sabotage the non-EU students. I think there was a miscommunication(timing being a major issue) and now there is a lot of backfire from the students. I know it is concerning, being a potential newcomer to UL and hearing about all these proposed changes...but do know that they have not been fully put through. There was a meeting today about it and tomorrow is the final vote. The staff are trying to alter the program to accomodate the feedback from previous Canadian/American UL graduates to help future non-EU student get residencies and elective back home. I know this may not be the ideal situation for all electives and it will limit you to some school for specific specialties, but keep in mind...UL in NOT a bad school. I am upset to hear people declining offers due to this issue. Either way, if you do plan your electives strategically and are willing to put in the effort, I do believe there will be no major issues. There may be a few more 'bumps in the road' but I do hope you understand that the views expressed on this forum are of a select few students. Not all of us believe the school is out to get us.

This school is great and I can't elaborate enough about how much I have come to love Ireland. Consider your options and weigh them to what you think suits you best, but again, make the decision for yourself and don't be persuaded to give up the lifelong goal of being a doctor because of this. It would be a shame to hear about students declining offers to what I think... is a spectacular medical program. The final decision is supposed to be decided tomorrow, so we will keep you posted.

Hi shweddies! Do keep us updated! I was showing the schedule around to a friend in UK and a friend who went to Australia, and they both said the new schedule wasn't too bad. It may be trickier, but I guess we keep on trucking on.

So, Quigly residence? Hearing that there was a bathroom to ourselves was phenomenal news! hahaha I suspect the acceptance packages will give us more details, but any information on the food? Market in campus? groceries? Is there a residence meal plan or can we rotate with it while cooking? Just wanted to know on the more anecdotal notes. i.e. university food is often generally devastatingly bad.... and being a Torontonian - I've been spoilt with some major diversity of food at my fingertips!

I do have to reiterate what @shweddies has said and also add my own commentary.

UL is a really good school. You do learn. And Ireland is really really pretty ;)

I don't regret my decision to come here. I won't be leaving it (I think that's drastic, personally) because I still believe that a medical education is still a medical education. I haven't knocked the school as an education conduit, because though there are things that could be improved, all school and programs are like that. I still complain about profs back home, but my education was still sound.

However the way the news has been delivered (with the first communication being said "this will most likely be implemented", and having it just before exams is not a great way to handle things. I've been on education committees to rework many a curriculum and this is the biggest rush job and one that's not transparent to the students. To expect no backlash isn't realistic.

I don't think the school is out to get us / me / anyone, but student input would have been far more responsible of ANY school. If this had happened back home, there would have been more whiplash from the students. There are other factors at play than just becoming a doctor - finances being a major one. And nothing stresses anyone out more than money. Both Irish and North American have this as a concern - the Irish not being able to pay fees due to losing a summer and North Americans who need the best amount of opportunity possible to get a residency / job so they (myself included) can start paying down the large accumulated debt. For me, a calculated risk was to not go to Australia because financially, it would be a bigger burden and I didn't want to deal with the off-timing of the school year. I like knowing what I'm up against.

But again, UL is a good school. It gets flack but to be honest, read ANY of the forums on SDN for any school, and you will find med students complaining. All the time. The curriculum here is great, it's the way this situation has been handled that hasn't been stellar.

You do have to make your own decision, and I think the aim of students (myself included) of keeping you in the know has been to add that transparency that we weren't given. Not to fuel an alarmist fire :)

there is no real need to get a meal plan. The plan may seem like a good idea, but all the food places are across campus. One person in our year got it and it was a crazy struggle to use it. If you're wanting food there are a few cafes on this side of campus and the pavillion. That's a pub/restaurant right beside quigley and everyone goes there to eat and study...the staff know almost all the med students. The food is good, but there isn't to much variety.

Med soc will post a file that has everything you'll need with regard to food, meal plan, phones, accommodations, etc. I'd wait for that, it's super helpful. Just sign up for residence now. Chances are spots for quigley are nearly gone. Last year they filled up in 3 days (that's 3 days after acceptances went out). So get cracking, otherwise you'll probably have Cappavilla. That's not bad either, but it's just not as new as quigley.

So, Quigly residence? Hearing that there was a bathroom to ourselves was phenomenal news! hahaha I suspect the acceptance packages will give us more details, but any information on the food? Market in campus? groceries? Is there a residence meal plan or can we rotate with it while cooking? Just wanted to know on the more anecdotal notes. i.e. university food is often generally devastatingly bad.... and being a Torontonian - I've been spoilt with some major diversity of food at my fingertips!

I didn't even know there was a meal plan to be honest! But I wouldn't get it. It's far better to just cook or buy your own food. You can guess which one is cheaper ultimately ;)

There is a small market on Tuesdays, but the GOOD market is Saturday mornings in town. I go to it every Saturday I am here. @shweddies does as well. It is fresh and cheaper and it's REALLY good. Look up the Milk Market if you want. The bus goes right from Campus to the bus station in town which is right by the market.

You won't find anything like the St. Lawrence Market here haha (I miss it too, even though I just lived in the GTA once I finished school and am not a native Torontonian. I miss my access to the exotic meat counter!). Sushi isn't a thing here in Ireland, I know, I cried as well. But the quality of the fresh food (vegetables, cheese, fruits, fish) is unbelievable. The butter and milk are better too. The bread is so fresh you need to use it within days :)

Grocery stores are found in town, and also within 25 minute walks from campus - two are cheaper (think No Frills) and one is more expensive (think Superstore). Depends on what you need and how much. There is also a store - Tesco - that delivers to your door for ~ the same price as the round trip bus. So I know lots of people do that. I've done it in a pinch, but I like my market food and another grocery store better (Dunne's, I pick the groceries up the same time I'm in town on Saturday for the market). It's all what you want though. And certain things are found at each store, no different than the variety you get back home.

There's a learning curve for where things are in September, but that's half the fun ;)

Just a heads up - the schedule that has been the big debate has been thrown out and concerns have been heard.

I would say to future / incoming students to hold off on any contacting of administration.

All in all, positive progress. So rest easier!

It says that we need a ID number to sign up for housing and that applications are now closed?

And your ID number is your application number you would have received on one of your acceptance documents. Probably starts with 131 or 132. 8 digits long.

That is your student number.

Good news! The heads of the school are meeting with current students in the next few weeks to decide on a new schedule that is favourable for all (North American, EU and consultants) :) Would potentially allow for 12 weeks of electives and time for interviews!

Sassa, I think I found what I want to do this summer. Teach myself how to make sushi. That is all.

Sassa, I think I found what I want to do this summer. Teach myself how to make sushi. That is all.

You know. I did that myself ...

I found it easier to just wait until Christmas and summers. I ended up giving up after an hour and three failed attempts at maki and just started eating the salmon raw LOL

I wish you better luck than I had!!

You know. I did that myself ...

I found it easier to just wait until Christmas and summers. I ended up giving up after an hour and three failed attempts at maki and just started eating the salmon raw LOL

I wish you better luck than I had!!

I also like sashimi. :laugh: I will consider this my advance surgical training. Sushi is critical to my mental wellbeing. This is of the utmost myopic importance to me. I will share if I do succeed.

Anyone at Limerick, just a quick question that I forgot to ask. The tuition is fixed to the year we are arriving right? There seems to be no clarification of that part.

Anyone at Limerick, just a quick question that I forgot to ask. The tuition is fixed to the year we are arriving right? There seems to be no clarification of that part.

Yes. You will pay the same tuition for your fours year at Limerick even if it is increased in subsequent years. Just curious how much did they say your tuition was for this year?

Hi MacNeuro! It seems that tuition for the 2014/15 academic year is 39,428 Euros.

personal preference may be a big factor here, but can anyone suggest pros/cons to 2 vs. 4-person suites at quigley?

personal preference may be a big factor here, but can anyone suggest pros/cons to 2 vs. 4-person suites at quigley?

I too am curious. I imagine most people would be quiet/studious roomies, but I think personally I'll be applying for a 4 person room. More chance to make more friends?

Anyone know if there's a big difference in room-size between 2 and 4-person suites?

2 person usually goes to 2nd years, other program grad students, or people who are in families (Quigley isn't just for med students).

I would go for the 4 person. I've lived in one this year and it's good. The 2 person ends up being a bit more as well because they have their own laundry machines (where as everyone else uses the ones in the building). You have a utility allowance in your res price so as long as you're not excessive about leaving lights on and heat, you won't have to pay anything outside of the res price (and you might get money back if you, as a room, save energy!)

Room size is the same in Quigley no matter what apartment you're in.

I was also accepted for 2014--I was wondering, for US students, is there talk of UL's eligibility for Federal loans? I was kind of bummed that it was the only AB school not eligible.

Anyone applied for residence and heard anything?

Also, any thoughts from anyone on the most economical way to get to Limerick from Toronto? Flying direct to Shannon seems to be a little more expensive than flying into Dublin and just taking a bus.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Anyone applied for residence and heard anything?

Also, any thoughts from anyone on the most economical way to get to Limerick from Toronto? Flying direct to Shannon seems to be a little more expensive than flying into Dublin and just taking a bus.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Most people fly to Shannon. It makes your life a million times easier, especially with your stuff on the first go-around getting here.

If you want to fly to Dublin, then you'll be taking the bus with all your stuff. You'll want to take the 5 euro bus from the Airport to Red Cow Luas, and then you'll be waiting there for the next M7 bus to Limerick (10 Euro). There is no reserved seating, so you might not get on a bus right away (it comes every hour though, but it sucks waiting in the rain when it's late or it's full). Then you'll get to UL, and you'll be walking your all your luggage to the opposite side of campus.

That will take (once you've cleared customs) ~ 3-4 hrs.

There is the train as well, but that will cost more than the bus. Plus you'll have to take a 15 Euro cab ride to campus after.

It's far easier the first time just flying to Shannon, then take a cab to campus (35-40 Euro). There is always the possibility of you talking to other classmates who may be arriving the same day as you to split a cab.

Save the Dublin flights for when you have less stuff! :)

Completely agree. Especially since this is your first time to UL, I'd also advise going the Shannon route. You will save time and it will be way less stressful. I was looking into Dublin flights yesterday and they were cheaper, but Shannon makes it so much easier. I think paying the extra money is well worth it...besides, a few hundred extra for an easier flight is pennies compared to the tuition fees! :)

So i read somewhere that Macbooks aren't supported in residence, but are on campus? It was really weirdly worded and so now im not sure what kind of a computer I need to have...

So i read somewhere that Macbooks aren't supported in residence, but are on campus? It was really weirdly worded and so now im not sure what kind of a computer I need to have...

There is no Apple repair service on campus, but there are in town.

90% of the students have Mac laptops.

Go with whatever you want to use.

Residence only has the issue of limited wifi - only Quigley has wifi in the kitchens / common space. The other residences you have to ethernet cable into the wall in your room (cable provided, but for macs, you will need an ethernet adaptor of course) OR you can get your own router.

Anyone have pictures of Quigley they would be willing to provide? I just found out I got a room there:)

IMG_0473.JPG IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0485.JPG IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0474.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

Those are some pictures I have. It's a nice place to live.