University of Kansas c/o 2017 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tm79602

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread for everyone that is applying to KU for Fall 2013 entrance. Kind of early considering that KU does not go through PharmCAS and their application cycle opens in October, but we can always share experiences and the application cycle once it comes around

Members don't see this ad.

If I don't get into Washington State then this one one school I am applying to.

I am applying to other schools as well (Texas Tech, Creighton Distance, UIC, Midwestern Chicago Campus, Chicago State, and Howard). I live in Kansas and I am a resident of Kansas, so KU is my first choice school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I also own a house near the Texas Tech campus in Abilene and the dean used to be my squadron commander in the military, so I also have personal ties to Texas Tech as well.

I'll also be applying to KU for Fall2013, but as an out-of-state applicant. I was wondering if anyone has any stats for the acceptance rate for being out of state, or how difficult it is to get in?

Not sure about the stats, but I know that KU looks at everything in an applicant's file in order to determine admission. I was told that the top applicants are interviewed first, then they wean down from there. If you get an interview date when they first start conducting interviews (late February or early March), you are in the category of the top applicants. I talked with the Dean this summer in order to see where I stand with getting an acceptance based on my application. I will graduate with my bachelors degree in Molecular Biosciences from KU in May or July 2013. I am not worried about my experience because I served in the Air Force for over 8 years as a military pharmacy technician. I have about a 3.1 GPA and I am waiting to take my PCAT again in September. As long as I get a good score on my PCAT and keep an upward trend in my GPA, I should be able to get in. The bachelors degree is an added bonus along with my military pharmacy background.

I was just wondering, because in my state there's only one pharmacy school and I wanted to increase my chances by applying out of state also. I know I'm gonna need to be very competitive because the fact that I will be a resident of another state. I was just wondering though, I've heard stories that some pharmacy schools frown upon certain states mainly states from the south, is that true???

I was not able to pull up some type of statistical information in where we could look at the trends of the people that applied, got accepted, the average GPA, and PCAT score for the past classes. I know that KU's past average GPA is 3.5 and average PCAT score is 65th percentile for incoming classes. I think KU has more in state students than out of state. KU is the only pharmacy school located in Kansas, so this is not much relief to you in that aspect. They say that they do not favor in state residents over out of state, but you have to consider that it is the only pharmacy school in Kansas.

KU opens up the applications on 01 October. I am so ready. I will also make a drive up to Lawrence in order to fill out a Change of School form since I attend the KU Edwards campus.

The applications are open for the Fall 2013 admissions cycle. I looked on the website and the applications are from Fall 2012 cycle.

I got accepted to Midwestern in Glendale already, but I would love to get an interview with KU. I would choose them over any other school, I think. Rock Chalk! :). I am a bit nervous that they don't interview until March or sometimes even April, since Midwestern starts in late May!

I submitted my application about 2 weeks ago and I know they've already started processing it because they've contacted me a couple times in regards to things I forgot to send. Has anyone else heard anything yet?

I turned in my application the first week that it was online. I went to the pharmacy school in order to fill out a change of school form (since I graduate from KU in May) and spoke with the Dean. That is the last time (in October) that I have heard anything. The Dean explained that they are trying to do things a little earlier, so I think we might hear something around February.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I sent in my application in November and received an email regarding missing information. I know that KU is one of the last schools to let you know if you have been accepted or not. KU is the only place I have applied, and hopefully get an interview!

I spoke with Dean Hotchkiss this week and he said the first interviews will be on Feb. 17 but they have not notified anyone yet as to whether they will have an interview.

I am so glad to hear that!! I have spoke with Dean Hotchkiss a couple of times and he has been very helpful. I wonder if they are going to wait until after 01 Feb before sending the interview invites. I am just praying that I can get accepted to KU School of Pharmacy before my graduation from KU in May.

I just wanted to say Hi to the crew and wish everyone good for the whole process because I know it is sometime very long and at time stressful.

I hope they start with with the interviews a bit early this year.

I hope they do start early this year. I was told that they will, which is really good. We will make sure to keep each other informed if we hear anything from the school.

Deadline was yesterday and I really hope that they start interview invites really soon. Good luck to everyone.

KU always does their interviews from highest rated to lowest rated candidate, I've heard some people are already getting interviews

I just got an email inviting me to interview on feb 13. They also said that interview timing is not based on your rank as an applicant but "determined solely by the timing of when the review of an applicant's file is completed with a recommendation for an interview". Has anyone else heard from them, or heard if this is true?

I just got an email inviting me to interview on feb 13. They also said that interview timing is not based on your rank as an applicant but "determined solely by the timing of when the review of an applicant's file is completed with a recommendation for an interview". Has anyone else heard from them, or heard if this is true?

I have heard from a pharmacist that graduated from KU that it is based on ranking

Has anyone heard anything else from KU? I just got accepted to another school and I really want to hear from KU.

I have yet to hear from KU either. My friends and I sent our applications in November, so hopefully something comes up soon!

Why would anyone want to go here? They just lost to lowly TCU!

I have heard from a pharmacist that graduated from KU that it is based on ranking

This is simply untrue. My friend and brother both graduated from KU School of Pharmacy and I already asked them. You have as good of a chance getting in interviewing in April as you do February. I also asked Hotchkiss this and he confirmed it. Ever since they moved into the new pharmacy building they've been trying to do things more efficiently and they don't take the time to "order" all applicants by rank to determine interview dates.

The only thing that may give you an earlier interview is if you got you application in early. Usually you'll get your interview around March if you got it in before the two week rush in the last couple weeks of January where people are trying to beat the deadline.

Good luck to everyone. Now the bad thing is you won't know if you're passed over for interviews because they don't send out rejection letters until the very end.

This is simply untrue. My friend and brother both graduated from KU School of Pharmacy and I already asked them. You have as good of a chance getting in interviewing in April as you do February. I also asked Hotchkiss this and he confirmed it. Ever since they moved into the new pharmacy building they've been trying to do things more efficiently and they don't take the time to "order" all applicants by rank to determine interview dates.

The only thing that may give you an earlier interview is if you got you application in early. Usually you'll get your interview around March if you got it in before the two week rush in the last couple weeks of January where people are trying to beat the deadline.

Good luck to everyone. Now the bad thing is you won't know if you're passed over for interviews because they don't send out rejection letters until the very end.

Not sure if the dean is going to say how the process works, but I was explained in explicit detail how they chose the people to interview. The pharmacist that I talked to knows the dean VERY well and wrote my LOR for KU. If what you are saying is the case, I should be getting an early interview since I was one of the first people to send in my application (I met with the dean in October).

Not sure if the dean is going to say how the process works, but I was explained in explicit detail how they chose the people to interview. The pharmacist that I talked to knows the dean VERY well and wrote my LOR for KU. If what you are saying is the case, I should be getting an early interview since I was one of the first people to send in my application (I met with the dean in October).

Hotchkiss isn't the dean. Dean Audus is the dean. You may have been right about the ranking thing but that isn't the case anymore. Back when Dean Fincham was in charge and there were only 100 applicants accepted they may have put it in a rank. However, the school can accept 170 applicants now and they simply don't have the time to "order" them like that.

Especially in an email sent out specifically stating that its not based on rank. You may be placed in a "desirable" group, however the interview date has nothing to do with rank otherwise they would put off a lot of candidates that way. It's just not good practice to do so.

On a positive note.....I hope we all hear something very soon!! :)

On a positive note.....I hope we all hear something very soon!! :)

Yes, one of the reasons I'm trying to make people realize that interview is not based on rank is to not have people have their morale lowered if they don't hear about interviews until late March or so. If KU or any pharmacy school did interviews based on rank, the procedure of that would obviously get out and would be circulated among applicants which would ruin the entire process for certain people. Why try hard in an interview if you're interviewed in April you're obviously a low rank.

Can't have people thinking that.

Yes, one of the reasons I'm trying to make people realize that interview is not based on rank is to not have people have their morale lowered if they don't hear about interviews until late March or so. If KU or any pharmacy school did interviews based on rank, the procedure of that would obviously get out and would be circulated among applicants which would ruin the entire process for certain people. Why try hard in an interview if you're interviewed in April you're obviously a low rank.

Can't have people thinking that.

Understand. Thanks for clarifying for us.

Understand. Thanks for clarifying for us.

The Jan 2013 PCAT scores became available last night. They may be waiting for that to schedule the rest of students? We will see what happens next week.

The Jan 2013 PCAT scores became available last night. They may be waiting for that to schedule the rest of students? We will see what happens next week.

Anyone heard anything yet???

What's covered during 15 mins applicant activity that the invite letter mentioned. If someone who had interview this week could help.

I'll also be applying to KU for Fall2013, but as an out-of-state applicant. I was wondering if anyone has any stats for the acceptance rate for being out of state, or how difficult it is to get in?

If you have zero association to Kansas/Missouri, I would say your chances are very low

80% of all the students have some form of association with the state of Kansas, 15% from Missouri, and the rest are "other" if I had to make a guess. I'm a student.

What exactly are you asking?

My invitation letter says this: "You will also be required to participate in an additional applicant activity for approximately 15-20 minutes following the completion of your interview." my question was what's covered during the additional applicant activity.

My invitation letter says this: "You will also be required to participate in an additional applicant activity for approximately 15-20 minutes following the completion of your interview." my question was what's covered during the additional applicant activity.

Its a new thing. It may be some sort of survey or something. Not completely sure.

Had my interview today. Hopefully it went well. The interviewers do a good job of making you feel comfortable. They told me it was a rolling admissions process so hopefully I'll hear something about admission within a couple of weeks.