University of Iowa med school waiting list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leinwalt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of Friday, May 7, I am number 18 on Iowa's resident med school waiting list. Does anyone know what my chances are with getting in for the fall? Any input would help to ease my restless mind.

Members don't see this ad.

whats up public health buddy??? :D :D :D :D

just stressing out and studying for cancer epi. fun fun

Members don't see this ad :)
18 is tough. However, they have gone down well past that in the recent past, I believe. However, the pool was crazy competitive this year- which means you must be a great candidate. I know it is stressful but you got plenty of time for others to decide to go elsewhere. Good luck,

leinwalt said:
As of Friday, May 7, I am number 18 on Iowa's resident med school waiting list. Does anyone know what my chances are with getting in for the fall? Any input would help to ease my restless mind.
What did you start at on the list?
did you go to UofI??

my friend's sister is giving up her spot at iowa. hope that brightens your day. :)

18 doesnt sound like a very big number. is there usually very little movement?

I started at 32 and am now at 18. The issue is that Iowa does the lists of residents and non-residents separately.
:confused:

Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. We are sitting next to each other on that waiting list. I assume we will get an updated letter this week?

I don't know if this helps, but I called the admissions office right away in March when the first numbers were sent out. I believe last year 23 got in from the resident list, 15 the year before (they said this was a VERY low year) and 32 the year before.

I am being very impatient about the whole thing, too. It is hard to wait. I do think we have a fighting chance, though.

I have a question...I've been told that getting on the waitlist at Iowa makes the chances of getting in next year better. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

I'm not too sure if there is much truth to the statement about being on the wl one year and then getting in the next.

Many years ago, one of my sisters applied to UI med and was waitlisted and from what I recall she was in the 20-30 range?? not certian. So she applied again while going to Iowa dental. Same thing the next year, w/l about the same place. Nothing really changed in her app and her senior year grade trend had a negative slope.

However, that's not to say reapplicants do not get in. I think you need to tweak your application, take classes if you gpa is low or retake MCAT. I think iowa is pretty numbers/stat heavy. I say this because I didnt get in anywhere else and this leads me to think that I was decent on paper, but not too spectacular in person......

I believe I heard from someone that the interview was only 10% of the whole admissions picture. That doesnt surprise me since Iowa med has only been interviewing for about 12 years. (and the dental school just does video interviews)

It sucks that additional information will not be considered otherwise I'd tell you to send a LOI. Has the waitlist been moving since March?
Good luck!!! I hope you get in!!!

Lochmoor said:
Has the waitlist been moving since March?
Good luck!!! I hope you get in!!!

In my case, the waitlist has moved by 10. I started at 26 and am now at 16 (as of late April). They send out letters every 2-3 weeks, so I expect to get something this week. I have my fingers crossed that there has been more movement due to the May 15 deadline.

I'm not sure if it is good or bad that the interview only counts as 10%. I thought my interview went really poorly, and hoped that it was what was keeping me out - I can improve on that. Part of it is the style they use there. Closed file and non-conversational, it feels like some kind of interrogation! I can't improve my grades, they are a done deal at this point!

I'm also waiting on DMU. I only interviewed two weeks ago, so we'll see. That interview went much better.

Yeah, that interview was a bit annoying. I wish it wasnt my first interview. At least we get to talk to someone. From what I've heard, the dental interviews are conducted by a secretary or some random person and videotaped--with no response to what you say.

I dont think it really accomplishes much.

Well, hopefully waitlist movement elsewhere leads to more movement at Iowa!!

Best,
Lochmoor

I am down to number 8! This is really a harrowing experience, no? :scared: It has been falling pretty steadily by 1 or 2 each week but how long will that last??? Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
As of today, I am number 1!!! This is so nerve wracking! I was number two yesterday (this would put you at at least 7 today,leinwalt) :luck: . It has been moving pretty steadily, but it has to stop somewhere. I guess we'll just have to be patient. I have hope since I know waitlist movement is pretty active at other schools for another month or so. Hopefully a few more will find a place somewhere else.

Good luck!

PS - if you call the 800 number, they are very nice about telling you where you are. It has been changing pretty fast.

Hey, can you give me the 800 number? I'm using the 319 from out of state.

Thanks!

(800)493-7415 option 1

You will get Catherine Solow, who is quite nice. She will give you as much information as she can and doesn't mind if you call often.

Good Luck!

Hey thanks! Congratulations for moving up to #1. I'm sitting at 10 on the nonresident list. Anyone know anything about its movement?

Hey ya'll. I don't know if this is useful at all, but on the Pre-M1 web board, there were 4 new user accounts. I assume that to mean 4 new people accepted a spot.

Best of luck to all of you!! Just one more Maisy!!! PM me when you hear back from them :)

Does anyone know how late in the game people are generaly accepted from the Iowa waitlist? From what I have gathered, most of the movement takes place April-May. What are the chances of acceptance after that?? I feel pretty good sitting at number 1, but I know that there has to be a cutoff somewhere!!

Lochmoor: Can you tell how many students are planning on attending by the Pre MI board? I think they told us at the interview that 92 residents would be accepted.

Maisy, unfortunately the Pre-M1 board doesnt really have that much activity or in/out of state information. Just a bunch of names, some general information, and a few files on students looking for roomates and housing.

Clearly there are more usernames than there will be matriculating. --A few users are the administrators for Univ of Iowa, but last count there were 230 people that have access.

Thanks for the info, lochmoor. I'll just keep waiting :)

I apologize if this shows up twice, I thought I already submitted a reply, but I don't see it, so I'll try again.

I got my acceptance packet today! I am so excited to be going to Iowa! To those of you still waiting, don't give up hope! I will be having a baby this summer and therefore will delay entry for one year, so my spot will in fact be open. I hope this means I will get to meet some of you next year.

Good Luck!

Hey Congratulations!

Good luck with everything!

Apparently the waitlist is moving pretty fast this year. I think the waitlist has moved more than last year already. I'm still pretty far down the list so chances are slim, but good luck to the rest of you. Oh Maisy, good luck with the baby this summer.

Maisy said:
I apologize if this shows up twice, I thought I already submitted a reply, but I don't see it, so I'll try again.

I got my acceptance packet today! I am so excited to be going to Iowa! To those of you still waiting, don't give up hope! I will be having a baby this summer and therefore will delay entry for one year, so my spot will in fact be open. I hope this means I will get to meet some of you next year.

Good Luck!

YAY!!! Congratulations!!! Unfortunately, no drinking to celebrate...but who really needs alcohol. I wish you the best with the baby and hope to see you around campus when you begin.

--Lochmoor

Maisy--

Would you mind if I PM'd you with some basic questions about Iowa? I'm deciding between it and DMU if I get accepted off the non-resident waitlist (I'm at #5 now). Since you've been accepted to both, I was just wondering if I could ask a few compare/contrast type things.

Thanks!

louren, if you dont mind, I'm going to interject with a few of my thoughts.

I think Univ of Iowa is a much better choice than DMU. The first is cost of med school. I'm not sure how the tuitons differ, but the cost of moving around is definately greater for DMU. From what I've heard about family friends who went to DMU, you have to go all around the country to do your 3rd and 4th year clincals.

Second, it's MD vs. DO. Personally, I feel, that for graduate medical education, the system is set up to be much easier for MD's to get a position than DO's. I'm not saying it cant be done with a DO degree, it's just more difficult. Clearly, you're an excellent applicant and will most likely do well at Iowa, otherwise you would not be #5 on the out-of-state list. And, honestly, I am a bit surprised that you are not accepted to an allopathic school.

What are your feelings on the two schools and between the two types of degrees? What area of medicine do you want to practice in?

Best,
Lochmoor

I don't know anything about DMU (heck, I don't even know what the acronym stands for), but I know that U Iowa med school is excellent. There are several exceptionally strong departments at Iowa (ENT, opthalmology and orthopaedics) and many of the other clinical departments are quite good, including the radiology, neurosurgery and medicine departments. If I were you, I'd go to Iowa in a New York minute.

Good luck!

Deciding between two schools is often a difficult decision. If you haven't interviewed at Des Moines University, don't be too quick to dismiss it. I was accepted at both schools and it wasn't a cut and dry choice for me, either. Des Moines has great people, teaching, and facilities. Iowa is highly recognized, but sometimes there is more to a decision than just the credentials behind the name of the school. Rarely will you have a patient ask you where your diploma is from.

For me, and for many, Iowa is the better choice. However, I would not put someone down for choosing DMU (or the DO route, for that matter) if that is what fits their needs and goals.

**Just for clarification: about half of DMU students remain in Des Moines for their clinical years. Others do move around, but some can still choose to do the second two years all in one place. For adventure seeking folk, the opportunity to see different parts of the country is not seen as a disadvantage. To each their own.

Hey everyone, thanks for your thoughts!

Lochmoor-
In retrospect, I probably should have chosen my schools more carefully. I'm from Iowa but have worked in Washington DC for the past three years. I applied to 4 schools out here on the East coast, DMU, and Iowa. I've had an acceptance from DM since early January and was planning on attending so that my husband and I could be closer to our families. I really disliked the interview day at Iowa, but as the waitlist keeps moving forward, I'm thinking more and more about attending. Both schools have some very strong positive points. Thanks for your thoughts and if I have any more questions about Iowa, I'll post them here. Unfortunately, I failed to learn some very basic things about the school when I interviewed in Jan.

Maisy-
Thanks for the PM. I completely agree with your assessment. I should have considered Iowa a viable option well before this point. I really, really did not have a good time at the interview!

Come on waitlist!!!! Keep moving!!!!!

I have heard from doctors at the university of Iowa that I have worked with that both residents from Iowa and DMU are equally well trained. My boss' current top resident in Internal Medicine is from DMU. So, I don't think it matters, but then again Iowa has the more well known name.

Hey HoodyHoo I hope you're keeping yourself busy today...you b@stard.

SurgeryRA said:
Hey HoodyHoo I hope you're keeping yourself busy today...you b@stard.

wtf ?? :confused:

Hey Maisy!

I am SO happy for you. The list has been moving rapidly, I called today and I am sitting at the 6 spot. Best of luck on the baby and your med school studies (next year!)

Lisa - congrats on moving up to #6. I will keep thinking positive thoughts for you...

Cheers,
KJ

The non-resident waitlist seems to have stalled. Oh well, thanks for your help everyone.

SurgeryRA said:
No need to worry...I know him and was just giving him some crap.

SurgeryRA, I hope you die :smuggrin: not really, but I do hope you fall and break your leg. JK I will see you saturday, get ready for a nice celebration.

Oh yeah, I have moved to number..........oh wait, i got a flat out rejection :( Good luck to those waiting, especially surgeryRA, i hope you get to #1 and then the list stops.

okay, enough making fun of you. peace out.

louren said:
The non-resident waitlist seems to have stalled. Oh well, thanks for your help everyone.

I just gave up my position at U Iowa Carver College of Medicine bcause I am going to attend another school. So a spot on the non-resident waitlist should be opening up right now.

greggth said:
I just gave up my position at U Iowa Carver College of Medicine bcause I am going to attend another school. So a spot on the non-resident waitlist should be opening up right now.

Got an email today with an acceptance offer!!!!! Thank you!!!! I really appreciate it!

I have been down to number 3 for the past ten days. It is quite a nail-biter!

leinwalt said:
I have been down to number 3 for the past ten days. It is quite a nail-biter!

Lisa -

Best of luck. :luck: :luck: :luck: Hang in there buddy! I'm thinking positive thoughts for you!

Cheers,
KJ

Thank you all for your support and well wishes. I was offered my admission this morning and I will be a member of the 2004 entering class at the Carver College of Medicine! See you in a year Karry!

leinwalt said:
Thank you all for your support and well wishes. I was offered my admission this morning and I will be a member of the 2004 entering class at the Carver College of Medicine! See you in a year Karry!

congrats!!!!!! :clap:

leinwalt said:

Lisa,

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I KNEW you would get in!!!!
I am so happy for you.
You will see me in a year, buddy. Keep thinking positive thoughts for me, alright?
Cheers,
Karry

Here's a bump for this old thread I found. It sort of gives an idea of how waitlist movement is throughout the summer (as well as prior to May 15)...more than anything though, it makes me wish I was a class of 2008 applicant.

Any news on this years waitlist from anybody? I am currently #1 on the resident list and have been for all of July. Maybe somebody will defer, keeping my fingers crossed. Penn State starts August 6th so I guess if I don't hear back soon I will be moving East.