MPH University of Illinois - Chicago 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well congrats on your acceptance! Do you think you'll be matriculating?
That is my plan. I still have to hear from USF, and it will depend on getting money from UIC or USF. Also, they mentioned me possibly being able to combine the MCH and Global Health concentrations.

GW is completely free for me, so, I want UIC to offer something. Otherwise I'd have to deal with loans. UIC has become my top choice, but, stupid money.

Members don't see this ad.

That is my plan. I still have to hear from USF, and it will depend on getting money from UIC or USF. Also, they mentioned me possibly being able to combine the MCH and Global Health concentrations.

GW is completely free for me, so, I want UIC to offer something. Otherwise I'd have to deal with loans. UIC has become my top choice, but, stupid money.
You can do an interdepartmental concentration in Global Health. It's what I'm planning to do (meeting with the coordinator for it next week to get more info). Are you instate for UIC? That out-of-state tuition is going to kill me. I'm just hoping to be able to get an assistantship.

I'm out of state, which sucks because I'm from Illinois originally. But, I've been gone quite awhile. It's crazy that I can go to GW for free, but I need to apply for funding at UIC. I was hoping they would mention money in the letter.

I'll be moving back at the beginning of May.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm out of state, which sucks because I'm from Illinois originally. But, I've been gone quite awhile. It's crazy that I can go to GW for free, but I need to apply for funding at UIC. I was hoping they would mention money in the letter.

I'll be moving back at the beginning of May.
It would definitely be difficult to turn down a free education. Although I feel like it's worth spending a little more if you feel like you'll get more out of the program/be happier. Yeah, you have to fill out the financial aid application. I still haven't submitted mine and I'm kind of worried that it won't get seen when I do. You're supposed to e-mail it to the academic coordinator, but I've e-mailed her multiple times about other things and have never received a response. I might see if they have somebody I can fax it to.

You can be sneaky, and *mistakingly* email it to my coordinator.. He's great. Haha.

GW was a number 1 choice, until I looked deeper into UIC. I feel like the practicals at GW are amazing, and the overall program at UIC is amazing.

You can be sneaky, and *mistakingly* email it to my coordinator.. He's great. Haha.

GW was a number 1 choice, until I looked deeper into UIC. I feel like the practicals at GW are amazing, and the overall program at UIC is amazing.
I really love the overall program at UIC - at least on paper. It looks like it's going to be excellent. I didn't look too much into it when I originally applied, but once I was accepted and actually researched the program, it moved to the top of my list. I went back and forth between whether or not I was crazy turning down Emory, but I feel that I'll really just have much better experiences and opportunities at UIC.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll say this. The UIC folks have been great with communication.
I got a call from the VA folks, so my funding should be pretty well covered. This is looking like my number one choice. Just have to work through some personal things for the final decision.

I'll say this. The UIC folks have been great with communication.
I got a call from the VA folks, so my funding should be pretty well covered. This is looking like my number one choice. Just have to work through some personal things for the final decision.
That's great! I'm sure it's a relief not having to worry about the money so much.
Yeah, the people at UIC have been excellent with their communication so far. Almost everybody I have contacted has responded within 24 hours.

Yup, I have even gotten calls and emails at times that I would consider after hours.

That's great! I'm sure it's a relief not having to worry about the money so much.
Yeah, the people at UIC have been excellent with their communication so far. Almost everybody I have contacted has responded within 24 hours.

Any suggestions on what to email UIC? I don't want to rush the process but it would be nice to know where I stand

Any suggestions on what to email UIC? I don't want to rush the process but it would be nice to know where I stand
I'd probably just call them and ask if they have any updates on your application or if they need any additional materials from you. Everybody over there is really friendly and helpful, so I'm sure they may be able to give you some additional information. I would probably direct this to your department though, as they'll be able to give you a more accurate timeline than the admissions office would.

I'd probably just call them and ask if they have any updates on your application or if they need any additional materials from you. Everybody over there is really friendly and helpful, so I'm sure they may be able to give you some additional information. I would probably direct this to your department though, as they'll be able to give you a more accurate timeline than the admissions office would.

Eeek! Wish me luck! I just left them a message... I usually just like to sit and wait lol but I'm getting antsy tbh. It's so difficult feeling like I'm starting at square one again :-/

I would say drop an email. I was so very happy with how responsive they were.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say drop an email. I was so very happy with how responsive they were.

Also, anyone have ideas about campus housing? I live in Joliet, so I can commute, or I can live in the area (I can afford it). But, my ex-gf wanted me to check out campus housing. I come from a commuter school, and the housing wasn't great, plus I didn't want to move on and off during summers and breaks. At UIC, I can always go back home for breaks. Thoughts?

Just did and they responded with no update the committee is throughly reviewing and no materials needed sigh I hope good news I really want too stay in Chicago !

Just did and they responded with no update the committee is throughly reviewing and no materials needed sigh I hope good news I really want too stay in Chicago !
Best of luck to you. Who is your student coordinator?

I've decided. It's UIC for me! I'm quite excited. And, very pleased with my choice. See you all soon!

Probably a bit early yet, but has anyone started to think about housing? I looked at the grad housing option, but it seems a bit expensive ($9,000 for the academic year). Thoughts?

Probably a bit early yet, but has anyone started to think about housing? I looked at the grad housing option, but it seems a bit expensive ($9,000 for the academic year). Thoughts?

That's pretty cheap, Chicago is extremely expensive. I pay $1100/mo for a studio in the burbs no utilities included

Inside the city you're looking @ easy $1400/mo for a studio/1 bedroom

I used TRULIA to find my place. I would stay as close to campus as possible and avoid north Chicago

That's pretty cheap, Chicago is extremely expensive. I pay $1100/mo for a studio in the burbs no utilities included

I used TRULIA to find my place. I would stay as close to campus as possible and avoid north Chicago
$1400 would net you a pretty nice apartment in Chicago. You can find a decent place around the campus for under $1000. I live in one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Chicago, pay way more than I ever have, and still spend under $1200. $9,000 for the 9 month school year is probably a lot for what you get, but you do get convenience.

$1400 would net you a pretty nice apartment in Chicago. You can find a decent place around the campus for under $1000. I live in one of the more expensive neighborhoods in Chicago, pay way more than I ever have, and still spend under $1200. $9,000 for the 9 month school year is probably a lot for what you get, but you do get convenience.

Really where? All I've been finding is $1400 (+/- $100) in the city for a 1 bedroom ~10/15 mins from campus.

We both know Chicago traffic isn't something anyone wants to deal with. 30 mins easily becomes 1.5 hrs

But don't forget though the prices/mo. increase the shorter your lease is. Some places will accommodate and match the price for students; but most places I've visited wouldn't budge

EDIT: campus housing will also include utilities which still comes out to be cheaper than living off campus as well... Utilities always add up especially during the cold winter seasons and it gets uber cold in Chicago. So I really don't think student housing is a bad deal @ all

Last edited:
One problem that I saw with campus housing in undergrad was having to move between semesters, but that didn't bother me because my family is close. However, their grad housing is rather high. I've found things from 800-1200 from about 5 miles away and out. I did two things though, I looked at easily accessible lines to the school and the SPH and easy biking distance. I wouldn't drive in that area, so I'll probably leave my car in the burbs, and train/bus in.

I've been using Craigslist and Redfin.

Another question, is there an admitted students FB page?

**Although, I very well may just choose a housing option nearest the closes Portillos. I have priorities afterall... ;-)

One problem that I saw with campus housing in undergrad was having to move between semesters, but that didn't bother me because my family is close. However, their grad housing is rather high. I've found things from 800-1200 from about 5 miles away and out. I did two things though, I looked at easily accessible lines to the school and the SPH and easy biking distance. I wouldn't drive in that area, so I'll probably leave my car in the burbs, and train/bus in.

I've been using Craigslist and Redfin.

Another question, is there an admitted students FB page?

**Although, I very well may just choose a housing option nearest the closes Portillos. I have priorities afterall... ;-)

I haven't seen anything about an admitted students page yet.

Now that I look it at more closely, the grad housing seems like a decent option if you're ok with having a roommate. It comes out to about $950/month, plus that includes internet and utilities. I imagine those could add up pretty quickly when looking at regular, off-campus housing.

I like Padmapper for housing searches. It seems to do a pretty good job of aggregating listings from other sites.

If you're thinking about campus housing, I'd check to make sure you can stay in the same places over break (especially between spring - summer and summer - fall).

If you're thinking about campus housing, I'd check to make sure you can stay in the same places over break (especially between spring - summer and summer - fall).

Fortunately, grad housing does cover school year breaks. I believe the contract ends when spring semester ends, although I'd probably be ready to look at off-campus housing by that point.

I'm actually going up this week to apartment hunt! But me and my fiancé are moving up there at the end of May, so we had to get started early.

Why do you say avoid north Chicago? I hear that the south side tends to be a bit more dangerous?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortunately, grad housing does cover school year breaks. I believe the contract ends when spring semester ends, although I'd probably be ready to look at off-campus housing by that point.

Good, I hadn't looked past the prices because I assumed they'd make you leave. I may need to re-investigate that.

I'm actually going up this week to apartment hunt! But me and my fiancé are moving up there at the end of May, so we had to get started early.

Why do you say avoid north Chicago? I hear that the south side tends to be a bit more dangerous?

Chicago altogether is not safe lol

but I meant it because of the distance from UIC's SPH. Traffic isn't fun here :/ be it on the CTA or driving is even worse. Its pretty far up there.

I thought the north side (or at least northeast side) was supposed to be nice, as well? I've also heard some of the western suburbs (Maywood, Forest Park, Oak Park) are a good alternative to the city and still reasonably close to CTA lines.

I thought he was anti-North Side because they have a crappy baseball team.

If you're going up to Evanston yes! lol but North Chicago isn't really that nice... thats my personal opinion

UIC to North Chicago you're looking @ an 1hr drive without traffic +/- a few depending on where exactly in North Chicago.... Also Oak Park is about 15 minutes away from campus driving and 35 minutes using the CTA **and this is a on a good day :) traffic really does suck here and Forest Park is just a few minutes ~2 miles west (away) from campus

So, after looking at the housing in SSR, I'm debating a studio in the city or housing. I kinda think just the idea of privacy, and being away from school is worth the extra cash.
I saw some as close as Forest Park, for under 1k. I'll probably spend a day up there looking around next month.
I'm trying to stay bear the blue/pink/green lines.
The student housing is tempting though.

So, after looking at the housing in SSR, I'm debating a studio in the city or housing. I kinda think just the idea of privacy, and being away from school is worth the extra cash.
I saw some as close as Forest Park, for under 1k. I'll probably spend a day up there looking around next month.
I'm trying to stay bear the blue/pink/green lines.
The student housing is tempting though.

I'm weighing the same ideas, as well. There's some decent options in Lincoln and Wicker Park. As long as you stay close to Ashland or Damen, you'd be looking at a ~20-30 minute bus ride down to campus.

Plus, biking distance for the months that one can bike. I'm leaning more towards the apartment, just not ready to pull the trigger. Plus, I have to decide if I'm working and where.

I'm weighing the same ideas, as well. There's some decent options in Lincoln and Wicker Park. As long as you stay close to Ashland or Damen, you'd be looking at a ~20-30 minute bus ride down to campus.

Just an FYI, this is travel time without traffic. I did my MPH there in 2011-2013 and lived in a Lakeview (Wellington & Ashland). Granted, it's a bit further north. Traffic on Ashland gets NASTY during the afternoon. Your "estimated" ride time can easily double, especially on Fridays. When those flakes start to fall...forget it, get ready for the long haul on that dreaded number 9 bus.

Tl;dr - Live somewhere close to the El. When I moved closer to the brown line for my 2nd year of school, my commute times got shorter and were way more predictable.

Yah!!! Glad to hear that you finally got in! Your gamble paid off! Time to buy a lotto ticket.

Thank You! Yes, I am too! It really was a gamble letting all the other schools go! I'm a bit shocked I was accepted without an interview (I was told I would have to do one!)

Now to do some more apartment shopping

Reactions: 1 users
You are moving closer to campus?

Yes the burbs are just too far if I get stuck in traffic my usual 35 min drive easily turns into 1 hr 30 minutes :/

So I'm looking at South Loop apartments, and lake shore apartments on Randolph street both of my friends have pretty nice places in that area

So I haven't been very active on here lately. Congrats to everyone who has been hearing from UIC! I'm finishing up my trip to Chicago this weekend. I LOVE the city. And we found an apartment! Played around in quite a few of the neighborhoods and ended up loving North Center. Got lucky and found an apartment in our budget there right on the brown line, so it's only roughly a 30-40 minute commute to the school. I definitely suggest playing around with the public transportation if you don't plan on driving a lot. We found that location really is the most important thing here. If you like a neighborhood during the day, drive back through it at night. Some of them can change pretty drastically. Good luck to everybody and I can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Grrrr lol I feel so behind!!!

@kc1223 if you can tell me what building/neighborhood were you're paying that much, would be much appreciated! Everything I'm look at is so expensive... and so far I am not thinking of having a roommate

@kc1223 if you can tell me what building/neighborhood were you're paying that much, would be much appreciated! Everything I'm look at is so expensive... and so far I am not thinking of having a roommate
What's your budget? There are affordable options out there, it just takes some digging. When we went up last week, we looked at so many crappy apartments before we found a great one in our budget. It's helpful if you're willing to look a bit further from downtown as well. A lot of the neighborhoods right around the loop just weren't worth the money to me. The apartments were so tiny. Moving a bit further out towards somewhere like Logan Square or Lakeview gives you much better bang for your buck and still keeps your commute to roughly 30 minutes or so if you stick close to the El. I'm sure you already know most of this since you're from Chicago, but I thought I'd give my insight since I just went through the apartment search myself.

I don't live in a big apartment building, I live in a walkup, which I found on Craigslist.
I would suggest using PadMapper or just craigslist. You could also go the route of using an apartment finder, I used one to find my first two apartments here. You just tell them what/where/budget and they'll find places and then drive you around and check them out.
One thing I'll note is that most places won't rent more than a month out or so. So if you're not looking to move until August or so, you wouldn't really find anywhere until June at the earliest, which is actually more of the rental season anyway.

Anyone know if UIC makes a incoming student Facebook page or email list? I know some schools make an official page, while others may be more informal.

What's your budget? There are affordable options out there, it just takes some digging. When we went up last week, we looked at so many crappy apartments before we found a great one in our budget. It's helpful if you're willing to look a bit further from downtown as well. A lot of the neighborhoods right around the loop just weren't worth the money to me. The apartments were so tiny. Moving a bit further out towards somewhere like Logan Square or Lakeview gives you much better bang for your buck and still keeps your commute to roughly 30 minutes or so if you stick close to the El. I'm sure you already know most of this since you're from Chicago, but I thought I'd give my insight since I just went through the apartment search myself.

**Considering I will be living alone, atm, I am looking for Safety (24 hr security), close distance and comfort. I would really like to not go above $1300 with utilities and all ---even that is really out of my budget but I want to be close/safe, and I really don't need more than 500 sqft. I've decided not to take a car with me, unless I can get free parking (I don't want to pay for parking at my building as well as school its just not worth it) so that I can work with my budget.

**I found some places in South Loop, Streetreville, Lincoln Park, Near North Side --looking to stay close to some of my friends in addition to the above! But like you said if it works with my budget the places are just too tiny like 300 soft... Haha and I appreciate all the insight I can get, I've never lived downtown so I am still learning how it all works

I don't live in a big apartment building, I live in a walkup, which I found on Craigslist.
I would suggest using PadMapper or just craigslist. You could also go the route of using an apartment finder, I used one to find my first two apartments here. You just tell them what/where/budget and they'll find places and then drive you around and check them out.
One thing I'll note is that most places won't rent more than a month out or so. So if you're not looking to move until August or so, you wouldn't really find anywhere until June at the earliest, which is actually more of the rental season anyway.

I've used PadMapper and Craigslist; ya I'm not looking to move until August but I wanted to do my homework from now since living in the city is much different than the burbs. I did some HW here too but I had 5 options and picked the first place I saw since it had everything I was looking for.

I will definitely check out the apartment finder would make my life so much easier, instead of driving all over downtown.

Last edited:
**Considering I will be living alone, atm, I am looking for Safety (24 hr security), close distance and comfort. I would really like to not go above $1300 with utilities and all ---even that is really out of my budget but I want to be close/safe, and I really don't need more than 500 sqft. I've decided not to take a car with me, unless I can get free parking (I don't want to pay for parking at my building as well as school its just not worth it) so that I can work with my budget.

**I found some places in South Loop, Streetreville, Lincoln Park, Near North Side --looking to stay close to some of my friends in addition to the above! But like you said if it works with my budget the places are just too tiny like 300 soft... Haha and I appreciate all the insight I can get, I've never lived downtown so I am still learning how it all works

I've used PadMapper and Craigslist; ya I'm not looking to move until August but I wanted to do my homework from now since living in the city is much different than the burbs. I did some HW here too but I had 5 options and picked the first place I saw since it had everything I was looking for.

I will definitely check out the apartment finder would make my life so much easier, instead of driving all over downtown.
Yeah, safety is definitely important. That was a big thing for us as well. From what I saw, if you're looking at places right around the loop, they're probably going to be pretty small! We were looking at 2 bed places with a budget of $1200 (rent only), so I couldn't really tell you much about 1 bed rents. It seemed like most areas of Lincoln Park were pretty good, but a little pricey. Wicker Park or Bucktown might be decent areas for you to look at if you're trying to stay close to downtown. If you don't mind a bit of a commute (like 1 hr to the school), Edgewater and Andersonville are both great, safe neighborhoods. We mostly looked at places on the northern end because I really don't mind the commute and we wanted somewhere safe with a bit of green space to walk our dogs. Like I mentioned above, we ended up choosing a place in North Center. It's very safe, but a bigger commute than the loop neighborhoods (40ish minutes on the El to UIC). Logan Square is nice as it's a very short commute on the blue line to UIC, but it's a pretty hipster neighborhood (which is fine if you fit in with that crowd) and parts of it touch some rough areas near Humboldt.

Apartment People and Apartment Finders were both useful for seeing the neighborhoods, but I didn't love most of the apartments they showed us. I found Craiglist and resources such as the Chicago Reader or RadPad to be more useful. It also works pretty well to drive around the neighborhoods you like and just call numbers on For Rent signs that you see.

Last edited:
Yeah, safety is definitely important. That was a big thing for us as well. From what I saw, if you're looking at places right around the loop, they're probably going to be pretty small! We were looking at 2 bed places with a budget of $1200 (rent only), so I couldn't really tell you much about 1 bed rents. It seemed like most areas of Lincoln Park were pretty good, but a little pricey. Wicker Park or Bucktown might be decent areas for you to look at if you're trying to stay close to downtown. If you don't mind a bit of a commute (like 1 hr to the school), Edgewater and Andersonville are both great, safe neighborhoods. We mostly looked at places on the northern end because I really don't mind the commute and we wanted somewhere safe with a bit of green space to walk our dogs. Like I mentioned above, we ended up choosing a place in North Center. It's very safe, but a bigger commute than the loop neighborhoods (40ish minutes on the El to UIC). Logan Square is nice as it's a very short commute on the blue line to UIC, but it's the hipster neighborhood (which is fine if you fit in with that crowd) and parts of it touch some rough areas near Humboldt.

Apartment People and Apartment Finders were both useful for seeing the neighborhoods, but I didn't love most of the apartments they showed us. I found Craiglist and resources such as the Chicago Reader or RadPad to be more useful. It also works pretty well to drive around the neighborhoods you like and just call numbers on For Rent signs that you see.

I'm looking for a 30 minute commute or less; I actually found a really nice place in South Loop but I would need a roommate and it would be well under my budget and very spacious with a free in garage parking spot! I am having such an issue with Craigslist, lol I am not sure why! I know how to use to it to sublet my apartments but never to find! I'm going to ask a friend who's a PRO @ it to help a girl out!

It seems its going to be a bit tough, I almost want too stay in the suburbs at this point... but I know my 35 minute drive will turn into 1.5 hrs and we have 23-25 credits the first semester I don't want too risk missing a second of class or getting exhausted with the drive back and forth.

But thanks for the advice! I'm going to keep looking, I won't give up until July is here haha

I'm looking for a 30 minute commute or less; I actually found a really nice place in South Loop but I would need a roommate and it would be well under my budget and very spacious with a free in garage parking spot! I am having such an issue with Craigslist, lol I am not sure why! I know how to use to it to sublet my apartments but never to find! I'm going to ask a friend who's a PRO @ it to help a girl out!

It seems its going to be a bit tough, I almost want too stay in the suburbs at this point... but I know my 35 minute drive will turn into 1.5 hrs and we have 23-25 credits the first semester I don't want too risk missing a second of class or getting exhausted with the drive back and forth.

But thanks for the advice! I'm going to keep looking, I won't give up until July is here haha
Oh yeah, we didn't really look at South Loop because it just doesn't have much space to walk the dogs. Too concrete jungle for us at this point! Sounds like that would be a pretty good set-up though. There are definitely some hidden gems on Craigslist, it just takes being able to filter your way through most of the junk that pops up.

Yeah, I thought about the suburbs, but I didn't want to have to deal with the commute in. Plus, I'm getting rid of my car, so it'd be more difficult to get around.

Good luck finding a place!

@Orhcidmph that's a lot of credits. I've been looking at mostly studios, but I would be open to renting a room. Unfortunately, most people are looking for female roommates, alas, I don't fit that mold; although I live with 3 females now..
Security is a lot less of a concern for me as long as I'm not in a heavy gang/drug area. I'm lucky that I can give up a gated community or doorman, for a little more space.

I get to town around May 10th, I'll probably come up the following week to look around the areas. Just sucks, because I can only price things, but won't be moving until August.