University of Hawaii IM Categorical- Any good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theneh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a 4th year, just got an interview at this program and want to know what it is like. It is far from home, so the more info the better before I decide to schedule it or not.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I'm a 4th year, just got an interview at this program and want to know what it is like. It is far from home, so the more info the better before I decide to schedule it or not.
Thanks.

Nop. Go, if you want a vacation otherwise travelling half the world for an interview, sounds right. eh?

Last edited:
I appreciate your brevity, irregardless of what I suspect is a condescending tone. I got some more insider info on the program and heard bad things ranging from poor teaching, sparse fellowship matches, a malignant social (attg to resident) environment and even hospital accreditation worries. hawaii residency sounds awesome though. there's always uMiami :xf:eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I've heard the same gossip and it isn't good. You should always check these things out for yourself, of course, if you are really interested.

Hey, I was actually just there. I met with the chief resident and some of the attendings, and I really loved everything I saw and heard. If you are truly interested in doing a residency in Hawaii I think its worth checking out. It's a very different lifestyle, and approach to education there though, so as long as you go in with an open mind you might end up liking it. If you do go, I'd love to hear what you think.