University of Colorado and OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Scalpel

Villain
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the University of Colorado School of Dental Medicine does not have an OMFS residency program affiliated with it. It does, however, have an oral surgery clinic.

What is it like for the people wanting to go into OMFS over there and how do you go about getting involved in the field to make yourself more competitive? How many of you usually choose to go into OMFS?

There are obvious benefits to having an actual residency available to you (i.e Possible research, letters of recommendation, exposure to OR procedures, externship, etc...) I know about the small OMFS residency program in Denver Health just like 6 miles away.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't speak too much to this because I never considered OMFS so I never looked into anything, but what I do know is that they are currently trying to start an OMFS residency. They currently have an OMFS fellow at the school and Dr. Dobbs, the OS department head, is working on all the administrative/back-end stuff right now. As far as students wanting to do OMFS, I've only known of about 1/class who ever voiced wanting to go that route and each of them made it. The guy in my class just got accepted to a 6 year OMFS/MD program. I have no idea what he did to gain experience other than I talked to our Dean the other day and he mentioned that he did a number of externships. The school is pretty supportive of that kind of stuff as long as you aren't falling behind.

Reactions: 1 users