University of Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steven439

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who all on here is applying to UAMS?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on it! Not sure how hard it is to get in though..plus I'd be applying from out of state.

Ill be applying also! I'm out of state, so yeah I don't know how difficult it would be

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on it! Not sure how hard it is to get in though..plus I'd be applying from out of state.

I just got an interview invite, but still debating about the out of state tuition. Anyone know how easy it is to gain residency status?

Is it worth it to pay out of state tuition for UAMS?

No I'm from Texas. I know that I don't have a good chance since I'm out of state, but it was just an honor to know that I'm being considered.

Oh, cool. I am from out of state too. Probably not going though. :(

may I ask why? oh here is the resident policies information http://pharmcollege.uams.edu/upload/docs/cop/residency_policy.pdf

Yeah, I saw that too. But wouldn't it be very hard to gain residency status? I am from Texas too. Are you really willing to pay $30k tuition for a public institution?

The reason I ask is because I already got accepted into Union University in Tennessee and their tuition is right in the same ball park. They really have a fantastic program as well.

Yeah, I saw that too. But wouldn't it be very hard to gain residency status? I am from Texas too. Are you really willing to pay $30k tuition for a public institution?

The reason I ask is because I already got accepted into Union University in Tennessee and their tuition is right in the same ball park. They really have a fantastic program as well.

If I were you, I would go to Union University, as it seems to be a very decent school!
In order to gain in state tuition, you need to find a job right away, so that you could be considered when you start the second year. Most states will not automatically grant in state tuition just because you Live there for a year. Good luck!

This is my third cycle (& my last time) that I'm applying but my first time applying out of state. So I'll go to wherever I get accepted regardless of price. 30K for out of state tuition sounds about right. I also went to a private school in Texas for my undergrad work so yeah adding another 100k to my debt isn't putting me in the best situation but if out of state is the only place that I get accepted to then I don't have a choice. Out of state the $$ is going to be about the same so deciding factors would have be on location and how you feel about the program. Congrats on getting into Union though

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my third cycle (& my last time) that I'm applying but my first time applying out of state. So I'll go to wherever I get accepted regardless of price. 30K for out of state tuition sounds about right. I also went to a private school in Texas for my undergrad work so yeah adding another 100k to my debt isn't putting me in the best situation but if out of state is the only place that I get accepted to then I don't have a choice. Out of state the $$ is going to be about the same so deciding factors would have be on location and how you feel about the program. Congrats on getting into Union though

if i may ask, if you dont get in this time what will you do. This is my second application cycle and I refuse to take the PCAT again. Im thinking PA school just wondering what others might do instead of pharmacy school.

if i may ask, if you dont get in this time what will you do. This is my second application cycle and I refuse to take the PCAT again. Im thinking PA school just wondering what others might do instead of pharmacy school.

I'll probably look for a 'real' job or at least a job where I use my degrees (my BA & my MS). I have a cousin that works for life technologies & he said that he could try to get me a job there. I've also looked at Ph.D. schools but I think that I would want to work for a while before I did that. I know getting my MS in biochem was very stressful much less getting a PhD. in it. I have been looking a PhD programs mainly at medical schools b/c they concentrate on disease application or prevention. That stuff sounds so much more interesting than doing functional biology kinda stuff.

I'll probably look for a 'real' job or at least a job where I use my degrees (my BA & my MS). I have a cousin that works for life technologies & he said that he could try to get me a job there. I've also looked at Ph.D. schools but I think that I would want to work for a while before I did that. I know getting my MS in biochem was very stressful much less getting a PhD. in it. I have been looking a PhD programs mainly at medical schools b/c they concentrate on disease application or prevention. That stuff sounds so much more interesting than doing functional biology kinda stuff.

good luck y'all! never loses hope, I am sure if you put your mind to it, you will succeed.

Does the school send the supplemental app, after they get our PharmCAS application?

Does the school send the supplemental app, after they get our PharmCAS application?

yes they will send you a confiramtion email with instructions on supplemental apllications and others things needed.

yes they will send you a confiramtion email with instructions on supplemental apllications and others things needed.

Are there any essay questions that i need to prepare myself to write?

I am scheduled for an interview pending my submission. Of my supplemental and a check for 100$. I didn't have to write an essay for Arkansas. Their supplemental is super easy, it was just filling out personal information.

Got my letter of acceptance today. Looks like I'll be attending UAMS.

So I have a question for anyone familiar with the Little Rock area, where are the sections of town to avoid if we're looking at apartments?

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! :D

Sent from my Galaxy S 3 using SDN Mobile

So I have a question for anyone familiar with the Little Rock area, where are the sections of town to avoid if we're looking at apartments?

What areas are u looking at? I did a little sight seeing today (well as much as u can in the dark) & it looks like the area around the central high school is the area that u should avoid. Downtown, the river market, & the area around the hospital look nice but this is the opinion of an outsider. I hope this helps

For starters, look around Hillcrest and the Heights.

Avoid Pine Street and Cedar street around UAMS since those houses get robbed every now and then. Few of them get broken into, but you don't want to take that chance. Trust me.

Anything east of I-430 and south of Markham will be more dangerous, but make sure you know the neighborhoods very very well before you get a place there. On the parts north of Markham, stay west of Kavanaugh and Riverfront.

In West Little Rock once you go out West of I-430, north of Chenal or Markham will be fine, but more expensive. But not Green Mountain or Napa Valley.

If you live in West Little Rock, it's much more expensive, but definitely worth it. Riverfront is also a popular choice, and not as expensive as living around Chenal.

If money is not much of an issue, get a place in Maumelle. It will be the most expensive, but it's the safest, IMO. Your morning commute will be a challenge, but it's not that hard to get used to it. It's nothing compared to driving in New Orleans or Dallas.

If you have any questions, you can PM me. I lived in Little Rock for more than 10 years after moving there.

Oh and if anyone else wants to PM me, you can.

For starters, look around Hillcrest and the Heights.

Avoid Pine Street and Cedar street around UAMS since those houses get robbed every now and then. Few of them get broken into, but you don't want to take that chance. Trust me.

Anything east of I-430 and south of Markham will be more dangerous, but make sure you know the neighborhoods very very well before you get a place there. On the parts north of Markham, stay west of Kavanaugh and Riverfront.

In West Little Rock once you go out West of I-430, north of Chenal or Markham will be fine, but more expensive. But not Green Mountain or Napa Valley.

If you live in West Little Rock, it's much more expensive, but definitely worth it. Riverfront is also a popular choice, and not as expensive as living around Chenal.

If money is not much of an issue, get a place in Maumelle. It will be the most expensive, but it's the safest, IMO. Your morning commute will be a challenge, but it's not that hard to get used to it. It's nothing compared to driving in New Orleans or Dallas.

If you have any questions, you can PM me. I lived in Little Rock for more than 10 years after moving there.

Oh and if anyone else wants to PM me, you can.

Awesome, that definitely helps. Thanks!

I was considering moving down to Little Rock a few months before classes start. Would that be a good idea, in terms of finding a place to rent, or is finding housing not too difficult down there?

I don't live in the area yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt... But I sort of got the impression that good places do fill up fast during summer. I was checking out apartments during spring break, and lots of places didn't have any openings right now. Most of them said, "yeah we'll have like one or two places for rent come June, check back then." Haha, so I don't know, maybe it's more crowded than I thought.

Just updating this thread for a friend. He received an acceptance letter from UAMS today. So you guys should be hearing from the school soon.

- Ar2

Just updating this thread for a friend. He received an acceptance letter from UAMS today. So you guys should be hearing from the school soon.

- Ar2

Thanks for the update!

I would really appreciate if some one could provide more details about the interview process at UAMS. It would also be very helpful if you could provide tips on how to prepare and do well in their interview.
Thanks in advance for your replies.