University of Alberta - Class of 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Pharmhope! Good luck to you too! :)

Can everyone else post their stats? I know many people that are applying this year... in fact, they are all very competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Can everyone else post their stats? I know many people that are applying this year... in fact, they are all very competitive.

I should be applying with a 3.7 which will be my prereq and cumulative but with 5 pre-reqs left I prefer to count my chickens after they hatch! That being said 600 students apply each year and the majority are competitive so just have to do your best!

Last edited:

Pre-requisite GPA of ~3.9, and cumulative GPA of ~3.85-3.9 as well. I have only done 8 pre-reqs so far. I'm currently doing two right now along with other Science courses.

June will be one nerve-wracking month for all of us, that's for sure. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
CrosbyFan-- are you IP? Those are awesome stats! Pretty sure you will get in actually.

Good luck on your pre-reqs Pharmhope :) you're in your second year at uofa?
I probably know some of you, It seems like everyone I know is applying this year to pharmacy haha.

CrosbyFan-- are you IP? Those are awesome stats! Pretty sure you will get in actually.

I probably know some of you, It seems like everyone I know is applying this year to pharmacy haha.

Thank you, and yeah, I hope so.

Uhh, you sound like someone I know. :eek:

EDIT: Yes, I am IP.

Last edited:
Haha you prob do know me! I'm in my fourth year. Brown hair. Always up :D
Anddd I think I have a good suspicion of who you are... does "read the quote of the day and be inspired" ring a bell? haha

Last edited:
Is it just me or does uofa look heavily only on Pre-req GPA? It seems like everyone who has gotten in has a pre-req > 3.7 but the 2 yr GPA varies (i've seen as low as 3.4...)

Sucks balls for me:( I took most of my pre-reqs 3 years ago when I was a stupid dummy who decided university was all about having fun....:bang:

Haha you prob do know me! I'm in my fourth year. Brown hair. Always up :D
Anddd I think I have a good suspicion of who you are... does "read the quote of the day and be inspired" ring a bell? haha

Yes, it totally does. Hahaha. :D

No I am a first year! So I have next year to upgrade a course or 2 for prereqs and reapply but Id love to get in this year, it's the only thing I've ever wanted to do, hence the enormous course load :love:

Last edited:
Hi you said people with a prereq of 3.4 got in?

Oh noo..I know people with an OVERALL gpa who got in with a 3.4 Pre-req from what i've seen is much higher, Like 3.7+

Oh ok lol :D I was like theres hope for me.. haha

Theres still hope Ive heard of lower GPA's getting in of higher gpa's dont worry :) personally Ive heard everything from 3.5-3.7 and Ive heard 3.9s and 4.0s who have been rejected, I'm sure there are some with 3.4! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
thx! :) I'm just wondering how the 3.9 and 4.0's get rejected right off the bat like that.. How bad can their letters be. :/

I dont know where I am sitting. Can anyone tell me how my application look?
Pre-req: 3.5
2 years: 3.45
one year of 30 credits: 3.7

I am third year, and I have done 30 credits in each year. My marks are not as high as they should be, but I am hoping the LOI will help. I have a lot of volunteering experience, including high positions such as Vice president positions. Also, I work at a pharmacy and have shadowed a hospital pharmacist. On top of that I have 3 great reference letters (1 from a prof, 1 from the president of the group I volunteer with, and 1 from a pharmacist). And finally, I have 2 pharmacy consultation forms.

thx! :) I'm just wondering how the 3.9 and 4.0's get rejected right off the bat like that.. How bad can their letters be. :/

Hahah Id assume not good at all but from how I understand it the LOI's are graded and then your gpas are and they take a weighted average sort of like how school marks would work! Thats why I don't think anyone should count themselves out :)

I am third year, and I have done 30 credits in each year. My marks are not as high as they should be, but I am hoping the LOI will help. I have a lot of volunteering experience, including high positions such as Vice president positions. Also, I work at a pharmacy and have shadowed a hospital pharmacist. On top of that I have 3 great reference letters (1 from a prof, 1 from the president of the group I volunteer with, and 1 from a pharmacist). And finally, I have 2 pharmacy consultation forms.

None of us know where we are sitting dont worry! They only look at your 2 year cumulative and pre-req, but they both look fine with a decent letter of intent and the volunteer work you have you have a good shot :) people like you are what they want not the ones concerned about money or lack of high paying jobs, they want people who are passionate about the profession :) Best of luck :D

I'm pretty sure I know who you are haha.
I totally think you are fine. Your extra-curriculars are REALLY good, and have done 3 full years which is a definite plus. I know of a few people who got in with a similar GPA. Plus your brother left such a good impression in the faculty that I'm sure your last name is going to help somewhat :)

9391, I'm right there with you.

I've got very similar pre-req/cummulative/2yr. GPAs along with really good experience, letters, consultation form(s) etc...

Yes, I really really really wish I had a higher GPA, but the fact of life is that not everything is going to go perfect, every single time. Those type of people only come around about 1 in a billion. The rest of us sometimes just have to let the chips fall and see if it works out.

Last year I was waitlisted and didn't make the cut. Never really got any feedback on where I was on the waitlist, how my letter was, absolutely nothing. Just a generic rejection letter at the end of Sept. The problem is for UofA that we really don't know EXACTLY how applicants are accepted as most of that information seems to be kept in the dark for some reason. This in comparison to almost every other school such as UBC, Toronto, etc. where everything is scored, added up, and a final score is determined from PCAT score, pre-req gpa, cumulative gpa, references, MMI interivew, etc.
Then the acceptance, wait, and rejection lists are determined and everyone is notified asap. Every pharmacy school in Canada lists all of this information in detail on their website, and some even have their own "calculate your own unofficial score" option, that is of course except for UofA.

Unfortunately I have a really hard time believing that without an interview system in addition to the application process, that all the extracurricular stuff, references, etc. make as much of a difference at UofA vs. what it would at other schools. This tells me that they definately rely heavily on GPA unfortunately, but in a business setting (which is what a university is :( ) this makes sense: to find the applicants that will be guaranteed 100% to finish and complete the program, score highest on the National Board exam, which not only means a top notch reputation, but also the increased grant money, etc. for achieving such high standards.

With this in mind, I'm not stating at all that UofA has a bad program. In fact it has been proven time and time again that it is the BEST in Canda. I think the belief could be that they go for the smartest people intellectually, and then they assume that they can more or less shape those people into anything.

Now onto the LOI. I don't think this letter is actually officially scored. I believe that it is most likely on a pass/fail basis. If it was scored, why are we given absolutely no information about what its score was? Every other school does. However, what I think they take from the LOI, is stuff that makes you stand out. Something that perhaps no other applicant has. Something that just absolutely "jumps" off the page. I think that they look for certain things like that. But again, almost* no one REALLY knows what specifics they want. * To you few lucky people who have inside connections....;)

Regardless of all the information above, I think you just need to do the very best you can; in fact, do everything you can. Once your application is in and finished, it is completely out of you hands and there is nothing more that can be done. It'll work out the way it is supposed to, either yes or no. (Sound familiar anyone? ;);) #5 LOI)

Barndog- that's still awesome you were waitlisted though! It gives hope that they didn't completely reject you off the bat. What year are you in now?

I think that UofA pharmacy's application process is ridiculously unfair actually. It's as if they don't even try to get to know the applicant... and no, in my opinion, the letter of intent doesn't really cut it. From what I have seen, there are many strange people in pharm school that should not have been accepted at all because they can't deal with the public normally. Kind of scares me that these people are going to be dealing with people's health...

I really think an interview process is needed. Because lets face it, the majority of those kids who are in pharm are med rejects. That is very unfair to people like us who didn't apply to medicine, and actually WISH to become pharmacists. In my opinion, that's why there are many depressed, unambitious pharmacists in the field now. It kills me every time I hear someone say that pharmacy is their "back-up" as it is less superior than med. Really disgusts me lol.

Anyways, good luck to you guys :) You all seem like you are passionate about the profession and really want it. People like you deserve to get in.

I agree with the LOI and interview. I mean, someone else can write the LOI for you. I know most people write it themselves, but the thought process is unaccounted for, as you can just ask for help from pharmacists/friends/etc.. I think that's where an interview would help immensely. It's scary that they haven't even seen the person before sending them an acceptance letter. What if they are a little awkward, or they can't talk properly?

Also, I hate to say it, but all the people listing their ECs... yeah, that is not going to help you with U of A. There is no place for you to mention them on the LOI, which is kind of sad. As I mentioned in another forum, I think the LOI is Pass/Fail. If you pass the letter, it's upto your GPA to get you in. If you fail, you're likely rejected regardless of the GPA. How you pass/fail... we will never know.

Oh well. I, personally, don't mind the GPA-based system, but I can definitely understand where people are coming from. In the end, an interview process is time and money consuming for the faculty, and that is likely the reason they have kept this system for long. If there were substantial negative impacts of this system, I'm sure they would have changed them.

Anyhow, I hope that we all get in, and no longer have to worry about this. :)

I'm going to study for the Biochemistry midterm now. Haha.

Barndog- that's still awesome you were waitlisted though! It gives hope that they didn't completely reject you off the bat. What year are you in now?

I think that UofA pharmacy's application process is ridiculously unfair actually. It's as if they don't even try to get to know the applicant... and no, in my opinion, the letter of intent doesn't really cut it. From what I have seen, there are many strange people in pharm school that should not have been accepted at all because they can't deal with the public normally. Kind of scares me that these people are going to be dealing with people's health...

I really think an interview process is needed. Because lets face it, the majority of those kids who are in pharm are med rejects. That is very unfair to people like us who didn't apply to medicine, and actually WISH to become pharmacists. In my opinion, that's why there are many depressed, unambitious pharmacists in the field now. It kills me every time I hear someone say that pharmacy is their "back-up" as it is less superior than med. Really disgusts me lol.

Anyways, good luck to you guys :) You all seem like you are passionate about the profession and really want it. People like you deserve to get in.

I am a fourth year already! Can't believe how fast the time flies. I actually will be taking one more year to officially finish my degree due to some Co-op work terms that I did in my earlier years. So not graduating this year unfortunately.

You've hit the nail dead center on the head. Yes, it seems they make no effort at all to get to know the applicant. I don't know about the beliefs of the UofA but the last time I checked, Pharmacy involves dealing with PEOPLE. This includes both people that are easy to get along with, and some people who are and/or can be down right nasty and crazy! On all my job shadows, it has sure been interesting to see the unique and diverse crowd that regularly comes into the pharmacy ;) The science part of pharmacy is really only half of what it takes to be a successful pharmacist. Being able to deal with patients in an effective and professional manner is the second half. This is really the part that I think many many people overlook. Myself, I have plenty of experience dealing with people that yes sometimes are easy to get along with, but other times are much more difficult, as I have refereed minor hockey now for the past seven years. Any of you who are hockey fans I'm sure know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

As far as costs go to implement an interview process, you know the old saying: "You get what you pay for."

Yes, the whole "If I don't get into med school this year, I have pharmacy as my backup" really ticks me off. I think you should only be allowed to apply for one faculty per application year and that's it!

In North America the dominant attitude seems to be like this: "Why do you want to get into the medical field?" - "Well I want to make lots of money, and I have lots of money to pay for school" - "Well ok then, your in."
In other countries around the world, (ex. Sweden) the dominant attitude is: "Why do you want to get into the medical field?" - "Well I want to help people" - "Well ok, your in, and we'll help you to pay for school."

Last edited:
I agree with the LOI and interview. I mean, someone else can write the LOI for you. I know most people write it themselves, but the thought process is unaccounted for, as you can just ask for help from pharmacists/friends/etc.. I think that's where an interview would help immensely. It's scary that they haven't even seen the person before sending them an acceptance letter. What if they are a little awkward, or they can't talk properly?

Also, I hate to say it, but all the people listing their ECs... yeah, that is not going to help you with U of A. There is no place for you to mention them on the LOI, which is kind of sad. As I mentioned in another forum, I think the LOI is Pass/Fail. If you pass the letter, it's upto your GPA to get you in. If you fail, you're likely rejected regardless of the GPA. How you pass/fail... we will never know.

Oh well. I, personally, don't mind the GPA-based system, but I can definitely understand where people are coming from. In the end, an interview process is time and money consuming for the faculty, and that is likely the reason they have kept this system for long. If there were substantial negative impacts of this system, I'm sure they would have changed them.

Anyhow, I hope that we all get in, and no longer have to worry about this. :)

I'm going to study for the Biochemistry midterm now. Haha.

Oh ok well Im not 100% sure of the process the way some older kids were explaining it to me each section is graded in some way (maybe each section is ranked pass and fail) however I do wish you all the best if there is one thing we have in common Id say is a true want to do this :) That being said I have both biochem and ochem on the same day as well as an english essay and a stats lab due that same day so I am off to go and try to not screw everything up in one day! :)

Theres still hope Ive heard of lower GPA's getting in of higher gpa's dont worry :) personally Ive heard everything from 3.5-3.7 and Ive heard 3.9s and 4.0s who have been rejected, I'm sure there are some with 3.4! :oops:

Thanks for the boost :D <3

My pre-req is like 3.4 but I'm hoping I can boost it to 3.47 even though thats still not 3.5. But my overall two years will be 3.8 if I get a 3.9 this year. So I'm really nervous. Haha second time applying.

What is the future of pharmacy going to be like? Pharmacists in Alberta are on a protest to stop the cuts of all generic drugs. As an undergraduate considering pharmacy school... This makes me alittle worried. Does anyone want to confirm this?

What is the future of pharmacy going to be like? Pharmacists in Alberta are on a protest to stop the cuts of all generic drugs. As an undergraduate considering pharmacy school... This makes me alittle worried. Does anyone want to confirm this?

I am a strong believer that if you love what you do and see purpose in it you will find a way to make it work, those people who want in for the money may see the fact that is harder to get a job and feel it is no longer worth it but the pharmacy profession is changing not leaving. Personally I would take a reduced pay cut to ensure patients are receiving the health care they need, but maybe that is just me. What it comes down to is are you in it to make money or to help people, because Pharmacy is evolving to better allow Pharmacists to work with and help patients which to me is awesome :)

I am a strong believer that if you love what you do and see purpose in it you will find a way to make it work, those people who want in for the money may see the fact that is harder to get a job and feel it is no longer worth it but the pharmacy profession is changing not leaving. Personally I would take a reduced pay cut to ensure patients are receiving the health care they need, but maybe that is just me. What it comes down to is are you in it to make money or to help people, because Pharmacy is evolving to better allow Pharmacists to work with and help patients which to me is awesome :)

x2 ! Well said pharmhope!

This situation is just like everything else when it comes to government:
Examples: Teachers, Doctors, Nurses, etc...

The problem is that the public is not educated and/or informed enough to really understand what is going on, and because the government is broke, they try to put the blame on it's employees and its systems (healthcare, education, etc..) instead of identifying and correcting the real problem: Ex. Progressive vs. Flat tax system :rolleyes: Duh!

Pharmhope is right though, the profession is definitely changing, with a more definitive focus on patient care, as is all healthcare for that matter, to more of an: "Integrative Inter-professional System" *** For those of you who wrote the USask entrance exam this year....;);)

Now, to look at it realistically, we may and probably will see lesser jobs, but the real problem could lie in the case of a drug shortage. Think about it, these multi-million/billion dollar drug companies are in the business for one reason: To make LOTS of money! Why would they sell their drugs at a lower price in AB, when they could sell them elsewhere for double, or more. Also, with this in mind, with a reduction in generic drugs available, there will be a resort to the brand name drugs, which are way more expensive. But guess who pays...you! Lets say for example Bob goes to the pharmacy to get his prescription worth $25 as a generic drug. With this option out however, as there is a shortage, Bob is forced to accept the brand name drug which does the exact same thing, but it is $100. The health insurance would pay the regular $25 and Bob would pay the remaining $75. How does that sound like a good situation? It's not, especially for seniors, for example, who are no longer working and desperately need their medications, and are now forced to pay for more expensive drugs.

This decision made by the AB government is too severe, too soon, short-term minded, and will have costly long term effects. Hopefully they pull their heads out of the sand before it is too late!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=8197253

http://www.newswire.ca/fr/story/112...sts-association-responds-to-government-budget

Unfortunately the first link doesn't see to be working on my browser anymore. Gee, I wonder why? ;)

But, here is another good one I just found...pretty interesting comments section at the bottom also..

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/heal...slature+demonstration+over/8129061/story.html

Here's another good one...if you can bear to read through the propaganda that *someone* has put on it...but the 1st half is still ok.

http://www.timescolonist.com/life/h...rice-cuts-despite-big-pharma-squeeze-1.108751

Remember people: "Patients come first!"

And of course, here is one just so we all can read everyone's point of view

http://www.canadiangenerics.ca/en/news/mar_11_13.asp

Overall though, I'd say the pharmacy profession is here to stay, as are all health professions, because when it comes right down to it, people still want to live longer, and they can't if there is not a healthcare system. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!
Just saw the forum!
Here are my stats...let me know what you think. Ahh I cant wait to find out!
Completed all of the pre reqs my first year.
Strong Letter of Intent
GPA 3.71
Handed in the Pharmacist Consultation Form

Best of luck to everyone!

I would go to the other forum pantry raider they have a link to the facebook page and everything! Congrats can I ask what time? Im still waiting :(