*****Univ of Mich Clinical Research During neurosurgical residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

genius19971995

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently developed a rather profound interest in neurosurgery, but I also have a desire to obtain a graduate degree, or more specifically a P.hD. Anyway, I wanted to do my surgical residency at Univ of Mich , but I am not sure if they offer advanced degrees. Does anyone know the answer to this? Also, (see link) would the eighteen months worth of clinical research grant you a degree or is it just a requirement? If not, any idea how long the fellowship for a advanced degree would be? http://www.med.umich.edu/neurosurgery/edu/res.htm

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

That's a question I'd guess would be best answered by the U Mich program director or someone similar.

Where are you currently in your training process right now? Whether you need a full PhD is going to depend largely on what you plan to do with it career wise. Most academic programs have research years that will give you a good foundation. I think you've gotten some good feedback on the other thread in the general forum regarding this topic.

Every neurosurgery program in the country has, at minimum, a year of research built into the residency program. Some programs offer up to 12 months more. This typically is not enough to obtain a Ph.D. Very few programs are able to offer residents the option of pursuing a Ph.D as it involves taking certain graduate school classes in addition to the research. I'm not sure if UMich is one of them. Also, why are you so adamant on matching at Mich? What point in your medical career are you in right now? If you're pre-med consider an MD/Ph.D program. If you're already in med school, try expanding your scope to see which places offer the Ph.D option.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do a PhD during your residency at Michigan if you want. One of the graduating chiefs this year went to Toronto and earned a PhD during his research time as a resident.

(I used to be a neurosurgery resident at Michigan so I know the program well. PM me if you have any questions).

I am interested in U Mich program. May you check your PM, please ?

You can do a PhD during your residency at Michigan if you want. One of the graduating chiefs this year went to Toronto and earned a PhD during his research time as a resident.

(I used to be a neurosurgery resident at Michigan so I know the program well. PM me if you have any questions).

Status
Not open for further replies.