Univ of Florida or Univ of Miami Pre Med Honors??

uforum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im contemplating over which pre med track is better and more likely to get u into a top notch med school while in the honors program without looking at the cost? also how is the PRISM program at UM? is that better than enrolling in honors at either school and would you recommend it? pros and cons of each school??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my avatar and my college choice next year would bias me, but I would go to UF over Miami.

UF medical school is ranked 48 by US News, while Miami's is ranked 51. UF is much larger in terms of faculty and research opportunities available. Be sure to take IDH3931 in your first semester to find out about research opportunities. You also have Shands Hospital, which will provide you many opportunities in undergrad.

Also factor in that UF is a public university and your tuition and costs are much cheaper than Miami, especially if you're in-state.

besides tuition i would have to say the schools are pretty much equal in terms of research and medical school. Talking to my friends up in Florida they seem to lack the kind of personal attention that you can get down in Miami. It's a little less hectic when you have questions or concerns about anything because there's a lot less people.

The PRISM program seems to be a good program, their classes are harder than the standard classes and they have a much more rigorous schedule, but since you would be only the 2nd class, you can't really say what it is in terms of prestige yet nationwide.

But once again, yes UF is larger, but I wouldnt give them such an edge in research like DLi did.

I would base you choice more on $$$

Members don't see this ad :)
I contemplated this same question 4 years ago when I was deciding for which college to go to.

I talked to many friends and upperclassmen who graduated the year ahead of me and got a lot of perspective...Here was my choice...UF

UF was closer to home by about 2 hours than Miami was and also I had a 75% scholarship plus 100% Bright Futures to UMiami but it would have still been $7K or more a year vs Free at UF.

The way I went about this after consulting my family as well is that money was not a huge factor for me. My parents told me not to worry about money but to go where I wanted to.

For me what I found was that Miami will be more personable and they have a research center just for you in case you want to do research. Whereas at UF you kind of have to look into things on your own but they have some great resources, faculty, and lots of great activities and organizations not to mention research to take part in. UF also is a big college town vs Miami which is in Coral Gables and just a different vibe.

Basically you can't go wrong with either school, both are well reputed and great schools but in the end you should go where you feel comfortable as cliche as it sounds. You will be there for 4 years and you will make an impact in and outside of the class room if that is your intent/prerogative.
So just weigh out whats important to you and base it on that. If you need any additional info personal message me or email me at [email protected]!

Best wishes with your decision and your future aspirations!

orangeANDgreen made a very good point about the differences and similarities.

So I guess you should base it on the costs and which campus you'd like better. I also liked UF better because it was a 2 hour drive instead of the excruciatingly long drive to Miami. Miami does have a nicer campus, however.

Not to mention massive budget cuts in the public universities. Later down the road, Miami might be better.

Miami has better looking cheerleaders.