UnitedHealthcare reimbursement cuts have pathology groups on edge "

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZpath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw a headline in Modern Healthcare " UnitedHealthcare reimbursement cuts have pathology groups on edge "
I have not seen anything new from United. Anything happening in your practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems to be a trend. They recent cancelled a bunch of anesthesia and EM contracts. They start with certain states and then quickly jump to more.

They are testing the waters. They are literally daring them to go OON so that they can get slammed by valence billing legislation and be forced to take lower rates.

Pathology just seems to be their most recent foray.

UNH & atrius health (In my region at least) tends to control outpatient lab costs by going with capitated service agreements with large labs. Paying a fixed amount / life covered for all outpatient studies including AP. In NE they could care less what the 88305 charge is for outpatients it is baked into the lab contract. On the CP side they keep a close eye on blood tests to contain costs & within atrius the PCPs are employed so they are easy to control. I don’t think AP is as closely monitored b/c the real spend is on the CP side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw a headline in Modern Healthcare " UnitedHealthcare reimbursement cuts have pathology groups on edge "
I have not seen anything new from United. Anything happening in your practice?
Sounds like BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD ANTHEM cuts 40% lower than MEDICARE last year

Thanks for the info. I just get the headlines in the new feed.