Unique Ways to be Involved in Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

.hematoma.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

MS3 at a school in the west with a mid-tier Ophtho program. I've been trying to get involved in research, but not many folks at my institution are doing any clinical research. I've started two projects on my own after talking with docs at the department (IRB in progress for one, other one starting the study next week), but does anyone have any suggestions about how to get involved in research in ophtho through other routes? I feel like I've done my best with my institution but there's really not much around.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is going on at neighbouring institutions?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sometimes basic science faculty at the undergrad or grad level may be doing some interesting research that you could get involved with. Have you reached out to both the chairman and program director about your interest in clinical research? They will probably know more about ongoing research than other faculty

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes basic science faculty at the undergrad or grad level may be doing some interesting research that you could get involved with. Have you reached out to both the chairman and program director about your interest in clinical research? They will probably know more about ongoing research than other faculty

As someone who did basic science research full time during a gap year, I would caution you about adopting a basic science project in a lab with a non clinical mentor. Getting enough work done that would result in a paper or poster while in 3rd year medical school is very challenging. It is much easier to accomplish this as a 1st or 2nd year during summers.

If there are no faculty doing independent clinical or translational research in your ophthalmology program then you are probably not somewhere very academic. I urge you to look to a neighbouring institution or plan for a 3rd year elective to adopt a clinical project.

Just my 2 cents.

What is going on at neighbouring institutions?

This is a good idea, but how would I go about getting in touch? Cold emailing? Working with someone face to face is impossible given that I'm on rotations every day, plus the closest medical school with an ophtho program is like an hour at least.

As someone who did basic science research full time during a gap year, I would caution you about adopting a basic science project in a lab with a non clinical mentor. Getting enough work done that would result in a paper or poster while in 3rd year medical school is very challenging. It is much easier to accomplish this as a 1st or 2nd year during summers.

If there are no faculty doing independent clinical or translational research in your ophthalmology program then you are probably not somewhere very academic. I urge you to look to a neighbouring institution or plan for a 3rd year elective to adopt a clinical project.

Just my 2 cents.

I would agree with not doing a basic science project, I don't think I have the time any way given the rotations schedule.

Look around in other departments, as well. I found a couple of good projects that are cross-disciplinary between ophtho + another random specialty this way. Also, if your school is like mine, you've probably got at least one PI in some random department who publishes a ridiculous amount of papers per year. Find them and see if they've got anything for you.

Reactions: 1 user