Unique Community Dynamic and Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSW11235813

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question about different fields of medicine. I live in a small and religious community and people have been telling me that a community such as ours can be awkward for a doctor, due to needing to examine/treat patients of the opposite sex in various states of undress. Meaning to say, that although doctors obviously must and do treat all types of patients, regardless of sex, there is still an awkwardness for them/others that they are seeing/being seen in such a state.

Knowing my community, this is not so surprising. It is, as I said, a small and religious community to the degree that such a dynamic makes sense, despite a doctor's focus on doing their work. Also, it is reasonably likely that I would continue to live in such a community.

So my question is, are there specialties/fields that would not involve this issue? Or at least not so much?

So far I've thought of ophthalmology and psychiatry. I'm sure there are more, though.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I have a question about different fields of medicine. I live in a small and religious community and people have been telling me that a community such as ours can be awkward for a doctor, due to needing to examine/treat patients of the opposite sex in various states of undress. Meaning to say, that although doctors obviously must and do treat all types of patients, regardless of sex, there is still an awkwardness for them/others that they are seeing/being seen in such a state.

Knowing my community, this is not so surprising. It is, as I said, a small and religious community to the degree that such a dynamic makes sense, despite a doctor's focus on doing their work. Also, it is reasonably likely that I would continue to live in such a community.

So my question is, are there specialties/fields that would not involve this issue? Or at least not so much?

So far I've thought of ophthalmology and psychiatry. I'm sure there are more, though.

Thanks for the help!
It is medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend getting over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Jk, removed. Beating a dead horse. Go into path or radiology and you won't really see many patients in general unless you do autopsies in path.

All of medicine requires some level of intimacy. I find it funny that a person will consider being a psychiatrist because they won't get to see religious people naked, yet psychiatrists "see" more of people's deepest darkest personal things than any surgeon or medical doctor...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Ehhh sorry for people being insensitive. We may disagree with whatever belief you have, but it's not our place to make snide comments.

I'd agree with the above: radiology, ENT, and pathology, plus ophthalmology and psychiatry (though these patient interactions may touch on sensitive issues as well), neonatology (maybe, unless there's a problem with nude babies), and immunology/allergy.

I'm sure there are options for you, though you will be limited.

Reactions: 2 users
Ehhh sorry for people being insensitive. We may disagree with whatever belief you have, but it's not our place to make snide comments.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I know it is easy to get distracted with objecting to why the situation is such, so I understand why people did focus there. But as such, I especially appreciate those who didn't!

I'd agree with the above: radiology, ENT, and pathology, plus ophthalmology and psychiatry (though these patient interactions may touch on sensitive issues as well), neonatology (maybe, unless there's a problem with nude babies), and immunology/allergy.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of these--and I don't think this is an issue with babies :) .

You will be exposed to people of all ages and genders during your training - that much is unavoidable. There are, as have been noted, some areas of practice where you will not encounter much nakedness.

But before you limit yourself to those fields, do consider the value you could provide to members of your community by practicing primary care specialties within your community. Imagine how a woman in your community might feel so much more comfortable coming to another woman who shares her belief systems and lifestyle if that were an option.

Reactions: 1 users