Union University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mclauja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about Union University in Jackson, TN I have a couple of friends going there this fall. It looks like a pretty good program.

www.uu.edu

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know anything about Union University in Jackson, TN I have a couple of friends going there this fall. It looks like a pretty good program.

www.uu.edu

I received an invitation to complete the application but I don't know anything about the school. I won't have Biochem II by fall anyway...:) They require Biochem I&II and immunology!!

www.uu.edu

We had a tornado that hit western TN and UU was hit hard. Didn't even know that they were going to open for Fall '08 with the campus being nearly destroyed :confused:. Wonder where their rotation sites will be since I'm sure Univ. of TN gets first dibbs in Jackson (or anywhere else in TN for that matter)?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure the rotation sites will be in Jackson as well. Almost all of the faculty has UT Memphis connections so I am pretty sure it will be there.

Anybody else apply there? I think they are only taking 45 in the first class

What is the required GPA and PCAT score for this school?

You might want to check the website but I think its pretty similar as other schools min 2.5 gpa and min 45 composite on the PCAT...But that dosent mean that this will get you in..because most people applying have alot better stats than that. Check out there website though

What is the required GPA and PCAT score for this school?

From Union University website:

"A grade-point average of 2.75 or greater on a 4.0 scale is required for pre-pharmacy coursework with a grade "C" or higher for each required pre-pharmacy course. The overall academic average for all courses completed must not be less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.

All candidates are required to take the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT). Although a composite score of 40th percentile with no individual subject area score below 25th percentile is required for admission, the average scores of Union University prepharmacy students have been approximately 80th percentile. Three references must also be submitted. An on-site interview is required as a part of the admission process; a writing sample will be required as a part of the interview process. Interviews are conducted by invitation only. While there is a priority deadline of February 1 of the year in which admission is desired, applicants are encouraged to apply early, as space is limited, and applications will reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year until the class is filled. The School of Pharmacy admits only one class per year in the fall semester.
Admission to the School of Pharmacy requires the completion of a minimum of 90 hours of pre-professional coursework, distributed as follows:
CourseSemester Hours
Biology or Zoology I & II
General Chemistry I & II
Organic Chemistry I & II
Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II
Physics I
Biochemistry I & II
Microbiology
Immunology
Calculus
Statistics
Written Composition I & II
Communications/Speech
Humanities Electives
Social Sciences Electives
General Electives​

Notes:
  • Not all introductory courses in the sciences, calculus, or statistics will be accepted in fulfillment of pre-pharmacy requirements. All science, calculus, or statistics courses the prospective pharmacy student takes should be courses which are suitable for science majors intending graduate study and must include laboratories. The calculus course(s) must include both differential and integral calculus. Two semesters of calculus-based physics is strongly recommended. Elective courses must conform to the following distribution and requirements: Humanities Electives include courses from arts, history language, literature, or philosophy. Social Sciences Electives include courses from anthropology, economics, political science, psychology, or sociology. General Electives may be taken in any area(s) the student desires (Christian studies, sciences, mathematics, humanities or social sciences). It is also strongly recommended that candidates for a Doctor of Pharmacy program gain work experience in a pharmaceutical setting prior to application.
  • Union University is in process with the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE - http://www.acpe-accredit.org), the national organization that accredits Doctor of Pharmacy programs offered by Colleges and Schools of Pharmacy in the United States and selected non-US sites. Likewise, the School of Pharmacy leadership team is in process with internal constituents for program approval. The Union University Board of Trustees and Greater Faculty have granted program approval; curricular approval by the Greater Faculty is in process. View more information on the accreditation process.

Did anyone apply here last time? is anybody going to apply this time? I won't because i am NOT going back to school to take Biochem and Immunology. :cool:

I got an interview invite from Union COP yesterday via email for Nov 21st 2008

Does anyone know how many students Union University COP is accepting this year?

I've already taken cell biology, molecular biology, and an entire year of Biochemistry so I don't mind taking another semester or quarter of Immunology to get into this school or any other pharmacy school.

:)

My interview is on Nov. 21st.

I talked to the admissions people and they said that if you've had atleast 4 hours of Biochem you should be okay (my school does not offer Biochem 2).

Last year they accepted 50 students, so I'm guessing this year will be around the same if not a bit higher.

Yeah, I spoke to Josh on Friday and he told me Union's first pharm D class consists of 45 students and should be the same for this upcoming second class.

YellowLemons143, are you applying in-state or out of state?

You interested in sharing a taxi or rental car?

Yeah, I spoke to Josh on Friday and he told me Union's first pharm D class consists of 45 students and should be the same for this upcoming second class.

YellowLemons143, are you applying in-state or out of state?

You interested in sharing a taxi or rental car?

Oh, I'm in-State.... I go to Lipscomb University Undergrad... so Jackson, TN is only 1.5 hours away. I'll just be driving my car.

Not to sound too picky or anything, isn't Jackson a two hour drive from Nashville (where Lipscomb University is), and a 1.5 hour drive from Memphis?

For that reason, I plan to fly into Memphis instead of Nashville.

Anyways, good luck, drive safe, and see you at the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Union University has its first class of 45 students, very innovative curriculum which is the reason for the pre-reqs. Courses such as
OTC with lab, Gross Anatomy with Cadavers, makes their program very
unique. Program has Pre-candidate status 30/30. Very selective
cost effective. Union is a liberal arts school. Also has great science e.g. chemistry biology. Numerous nursing tracks
Survived a tornado in 2005 and has since rebuilt its dorms

Yes Union's OTC lab, Gross Anatomy, moral/ethics courses, and dedication to a small class of 45 students shows they pay close attention to their students' personal growth and spiritual well being.

I like Union's 2 and 1/2 year of classroom work and 1 and 1/2 year of clinical practices. It truly is a innovative and interesting curriculum.

Union survived another Tornado this year (02/05/2008).

Last edited:
Not to sound too picky or anything, isn't Jackson a two hour drive from Nashville (where Lipscomb University is), and a 1.5 hour drive from Memphis?

For that reason, I plan to fly into Memphis instead of Nashville.

Anyways, good luck, drive safe, and see you at the interview

From Nashville you can make it to Jackson in 1.5-1.75 hours.... and to Memphis in 2.5 hours... It's just the difference from MapQuest time and real time. But Jackson is closer to Memphis, so I would fly in to there instead of Nashville.

See you Friday!

From Nashville you can make it to Jackson in 1.5-1.75 hours.... and to Memphis in 2.5 hours... It's just the difference from MapQuest time and real time. But Jackson is closer to Memphis, so I would fly in to there instead of Nashville.

See you Friday!

Thank you the reality check. I didn't realize Jackson is a 1.5 to 1.75 hours drive from Nashville. Perhaps, it also depends on traffic and how fast one drives.

Originally, I wanted to fly to Memphis, but I changed my mind. Since I couldn't find any cheap flights later than 3PM out of Memphis for my return trip, I'm gonna fly into Nashville instead....

See you on Friday..:)

I was really impressed by Union.. Nice community feel, amazing staff!!!

I was really impressed by Union.. Nice community feel, amazing staff!!!

I was impressed by Union too. It was a warm, friendly, and family-like environment.

All the students, faculty, and staff were amazing.

Hey Clay Williams here. I resently recieved acceptance into Union's School of Pharmacy. I'm just looking for some other people that will be attending Union's School of Pharmacy next year. Pharmacy Kickoff is April 24th! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hey Clay Williams here. I resently recieved acceptance into Union's School of Pharmacy. I'm just looking for some other people that will be attending Union's School of Pharmacy next year. Pharmacy Kickoff is April 24th! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

hey Clayburn,
I have an interview at the end of Oct. Do you mind if you can share what questions were being asked during the interview ?
thanks alot

Hey Pandy, I am a pharmacy student at Union. Congrats on your interview invitation. As far as questions, they usually have a 40 mins interview with 2 faculty or one faculty and one pharmacy student. They usually asked general questions. They do ask about your transcript. So if you had a C or D in any classes in Undergrad. be prepare to explain why. Hope that help, if you have any other question feel free to ask me... GOOD LUCK

Hey Pandy, I am a pharmacy student at Union. Congrats on your interview invitation. As far as questions, they usually have a 40 mins interview with 2 faculty or one faculty and one pharmacy student. They usually asked general questions. They do ask about your transcript. So if you had a C or D in any classes in Undergrad. be prepare to explain why. Hope that help, if you have any other question feel free to ask me... GOOD LUCK

hey KobeIsTheBest :), I am really thankful about ur reply.
It is definitely really helpful. As the email from the Mrs. Chambers indicated, there will be a writing sample during the interview. So do you remember what kind of questions were asking ? anything related to religion ?
Thanks

hii.. i just received an email for interview in abt 3 weeks.. is anyone else going? and how is the interview?

thank You

hii.. i just received an email for interview in abt 3 weeks.. is anyone else going? and how is the interview?

thank You
hello mansi,
congrats on your interview invitation. when is your interview date ? mine is on oct. 29

hi...

mine is also oct 29 :) great! What state r u going from?

Pandy, nothing about Religion. When I was at the Interview, the essay question was "Define Professionalism and how do Pharmacists relate to that?" Just one essay question and I think you have 30 mins to do it. It wasn't hard or anything. Good Luck to You and Mansi. Maybe, I'll see you guys here during your interview!!!

Pandy, nothing about Religion. When I was at the Interview, the essay question was "Define Professionalism and how do Pharmacists relate to that?" Just one essay question and I think you have 30 mins to do it. It wasn't hard or anything. Good Luck to You and Mansi. Maybe, I'll see you guys here during your interview!!!
hi i just got an invitation to interview on 11/19, can you pls share any comments, or anything to know about the interview, thanks

HI I'll be interviewin there too on 11/19, can you please share anything I need to prepare or expect, thanks

anyone interviewing this friday? or any interview advice pls

anyone interwing on friday or is it just me in this forum?

Just returned from my interview, this school really nice and well equiped, I had a wonderful time here.

Just got a call from Union, I'm so in Yay!!!!

Congrats to all who got accepted, will see you next year keep in touch!

Congrats to the Class of 2015. I am so sorry Bongos. I was busy with finals so I didn't get a chance to get on here. I am glad you didn't need my help. Congrats and hope to see you guys here next year...

Congrats to the Class of 2015. I am so sorry Bongos. I was busy with finals so I didn't get a chance to get on here. I am glad you didn't need my help. Congrats and hope to see you guys here next year...

Thanks ok, Im glad I got in. The school is really nice!

Thanks ok, Im glad I got in. The school is really nice!

Hey Buddy, Dont be so happy. everyone gets an interview from this school and then get accepted "NO MATTER WHAT"

i wonts say congrats. if you get in UCSF or UT or UNC or UCSD then i would congradulate you.

Hey Buddy, Dont be so happy. everyone gets an interview from this school and then get accepted "NO MATTER WHAT"

i wonts say congrats. if you get in UCSF or UT or UNC or UCSD then i would congradulate you.

Campell is being an ASS. I bet he's not in any school. Congrats to all the class of 2015 Union Univ.

Are you currently working in any pharmacy? just needed advice on where to work like maybe one day a week, thanks

Anyone else have an interview here on 2/4/11?

Does anyone else have any advice on ways to prepare for the interview?

Thanks!