Uniform shopping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnt0711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to buy all of my uniforms before my upcoming graduation and BOLC. As usual the recruiters are being less than helpful. The gave me a very rough list and told me where the nearest base was. The staff at the local post exchange helped me get most of it, but I was unsure about a few items. My list says I need "set of MSC branch insignia". I'm a little confused by this--do I get the general MSC insignia, or should I get the Dental branch insignia with the letter D on it? The later would make more sense, so I'm assuming this is just an error on the shopping list the recruiter made.
Also, I'm supposed to get MEDCOM unit patches. I looked online and no unit patch by this name seems to exist. The closest I can find is the Army Health Service Command. Is this the right one?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to buy all of my uniforms before my upcoming graduation and BOLC. As usual the recruiters are being less than helpful. The gave me a very rough list and told me where the nearest base was. The staff at the local post exchange helped me get most of it, but I was unsure about a few items. My list says I need "set of MSC branch insignia". I'm a little confused by this--do I get the general MSC insignia, or should I get the Dental branch insignia with the letter D on it? The later would make more sense, so I'm assuming this is just an error on the shopping list the recruiter made.
Also, I'm supposed to get MEDCOM unit patches. I looked online and no unit patch by this name seems to exist. The closest I can find is the Army Health Service Command. Is this the right one?

Here is a blog from a recent dental BOLC graduate - Tooth Soldier. http://toothsoldier.blogspot.com/2015_08_01_archive.html?view=classic

I think you need the patch from the ASDOH Official Officer picture in that blog. The link below does describe it as Health Service Command. Make sure you get the right one though based on the uniform you purchased...digital ACU or OCP. Hopefully they did not convince you to buy the uniform that will be obsolete FY19 - the digital ACU. https://www.shopmyexchange.com/army-unit-patch-health-service-command-ocp-/7047654

Not absolutely sure on this for dental...but it is true for Medical Students. Will you have graduated and recommissioned to Dental - then wear Dental. Or are you currently, and attending BOLC as a student and commissioned as MSC- then wear Med Service.

EDIT - Added another BOLC blog though i did not check if Medical, Dental, Vet, Nurse, .... http://www.activetrekker.com/blog/2016/01/21/bolc-packing-list/

EDIT 2 - activetrekker blog for things to do (places to eat) in SA while at BOLC
http://www.activetrekker.com/blog/2016/02/17/san-antonio/

Last edited:
Thanks, those links were very helpful. I did buy all the OCP stuff, they weren't even selling ACU anymore.

I think I'll be able to just wear the Dental stuff. The first time I'll be wearing my ASU's is for my commissioning/promotion ceremony the day before I graduate dental school. I still haven't gone to BOLC, but by the time I go this summer I will be a dentist and will be on my way to my first duty station as a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually the owner of that blog- thanks @Helpful Troll Troll for sharing. Things have changed in terms of uniform and such even since I was there a few months ago. Feel free to reach out to me if you have specific questions or post them on my blog (I'm much better at checking that than I am this) @dnt0711 army dentistry is a small place- I might know someone I could connect you to at your next duty station as well.

The blog has moved:
toothsoldier.com

Last edited:
Do we actually need 2 pairs of boots? I have heard varied answers from people.

Per DA Pam 670-1 chapter 20-3 "Soldiers are required to possess two pairs of issue Army combat boots (HW) and one pair of issue Army combat boots (temperate weather) (specification) boots."

However, it is not likely anyone will check unless you attend a school or are assigned to a unit that has a reason to check. Think EFMB, air assault, airborne, deployment, NTC cycle......check with a recent BOLC attendee like user allusmels above to see if they check at that school. If there is any chance you will go to the field and get your feet wet you will want a second pair of boots.

Edit: Above is assuming you are Army.

Reactions: 1 user