Uniform Allowance for Enlisted to ODS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

kitty cat yin yang
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance if anyone can answer this. I did a search, but there is only one thread and it's 8 years old with no replies.

Anyway, I am an E-6 (Navy) who commissions in a month. Then I'm headed to ODS and USUHS after. In the DoD instruction, it says that E-6 and below who are selected for commissioning programs are eligible for a special initial clothing allowance (right now it's $1862.21 for men--much higher than the $400 standard initial clothing allowance for officers). It lists OCS, enlisted commissioning programs, and STA-21. Does anyone know if commissioning to go to USUHS qualifies for that special allowance? It would be nice to get some of the almost $2k I'm dropping on uniforms reimbursed (had to buy the type IIIs).

Here's the instruction.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds right, getting the money might be more complicated. Just buy what they make you at Newport. If you need money, they come to class with a pitch from Navy Mutual for a 20k loan, many took them up on it.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds right, getting the money might be more complicated. Just buy what they make you at Newport. If you need money, they come to class with a pitch from Navy Mutual for a 20k loan, many took them up on it.
I’m stationed at USUHS right now so I just went to the NEX there and picked everything up. Good to know I probably qualify for that special allowance. I’ll have to talk to finance about it.

I’m stationed at USUHS right now so I just went to the NEX there and picked everything up. Good to know I probably qualify for that special allowance. I’ll have to talk to finance about it.
Hello! I am in the same position. Did you have any luck in applying for and getting the special initial clothing allowance? Thank you!