Unhappy with where I matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unhappyderm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Went pretty low on my list after thinking I did well on all my interviews/aways.

Firstly, I am grateful. I really also liked the program I matched at, it is just in a very very less than ideal location. As a single male, I put a lot of emphasis on city in terms of my rank list (probably moreso than I should have). Most residents I have encountered seem to be in long term relationships, and the place where I matched is one where the culture is predominately one where people get married young, like after high school/college.

Anyways, was hoping for some sort of reassurance. Would it be pretty easy to find a job in most cities after? Knowing it is just a few years of my life would make it a bit more bearable. Not a huge city, but a nice southeastern city would be ideal.

How busy is residency really? I guess it would also be helpful for me to realize that even if I was in a much nicer city, being in training would make it hard for me to take advantage of the things the city has to offer anyways.

Also, is there any hope/benefit to reaching out to some of the program directors of my top choices, finding out if there was anything I should have done differently? Obviously competition is huge but if there is anything I can do to improve myself in the future, I want to do it.

Is there any way to just keep an eye out for open positions/is there a good and reasonable way to do this without coming off as rude and unappreciative of the program I did match at (liked everyone I met).

Again, I know the most important thing for me is to just be grateful I matched. Thank you for your thoughts/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

6/10

boo hoo, I matched derm...how did I go wrong?

Reactions: 4 users
6/10

boo hoo, I matched derm...how did I go wrong?
actually 8/9 :p

i hear you though, i know I'm at a nice program in a great field that I am lucky to have in the first place. doesn't mean i can't be disappointed at the outcome and look for ways to make myself feel better about it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Went pretty low on my list after thinking I did well on all my interviews/aways.

Firstly, I am grateful. I really also liked the program I matched at, it is just in a very very less than ideal location. As a single male, I put a lot of emphasis on city in terms of my rank list (probably moreso than I should have). Most residents I have encountered seem to be in long term relationships, and the place where I matched is one where the culture is predominately one where people get married young, like after high school/college.

Anyways, was hoping for some sort of reassurance. Would it be pretty easy to find a job in most cities after? Knowing it is just a few years of my life would make it a bit more bearable. Not a huge city, but a nice southeastern city would be ideal.

How busy is residency really? I guess it would also be helpful for me to realize that even if I was in a much nicer city, being in training would make it hard for me to take advantage of the things the city has to offer anyways.

Also, is there any hope/benefit to reaching out to some of the program directors of my top choices, finding out if there was anything I should have done differently? Obviously competition is huge but if there is anything I can do to improve myself in the future, I want to do it.

Is there any way to just keep an eye out for open positions/is there a good and reasonable way to do this without coming off as rude and unappreciative of the program I did match at (liked everyone I met).

Again, I know the most important thing for me is to just be grateful I matched. Thank you for your thoughts/advice.

You'll be fine. I know it's not what you want to hear but matching in an undesirable location is still better than being unmatched.

The job market is still fairly robust for gen derm and you should be able to find a job in most cities so long as you are flexible.

Residency should be a busy time and I would focus on becoming the best dermatologist you can be. I would NOT reach out to other program directors, would NOT keep an eye out for open positions, and would NOT give off any hint of dissatisfaction particularly once you start at your home program. It's a short 3 years and it's dermatology to boot, you can move wherever you please once you are finished.

Reactions: 1 users
People transfer, more frequently than you think. If you're truly unhappy, think about transferring. It surprised me how many programs this year had a PGY-2 advanced position open for 2015.

People transfer, more frequently than you think. If you're truly unhappy, think about transferring. It surprised me how many programs this year had a PGY-2 advanced position open for 2015.

I know a derm resident who was able to transfer after her PGY-2 year to be close to her fiance. It doesn't sound like it's unheard of to transfer.

matched derm? ... a complaint? This can't be...

Reactions: 1 user
Were these new spots or ones where a resident wanted a trade?