Unfit for med school???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShySpliceosome

Microbe lover
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is next week. I can't seem to break a 27 on my FLs, and I am at my wit's end...I have studied so long and hard for this, and I'm just really depressed and discouraged right now. I often think, "How will I EVER make it through med school, much less residency, if I can't even score a measly 30 on the MCAT? Med school is way harder than this..." I know it's unhealthy to think that way, but it's hard not to sometimes. I have a decent GPA (3.7), but this MCAT is killing me, and I feel like I just can't study any more than I already have...I am hoping and praying for at least a 31. If I can't get in this year, I'll study more and try again next year. I have followed my passion of becoming a doctor for over a decade now, but if I can't get in next year, I may just have to suck it up and follow a different career path. Sorry for rambling! :p

Anyway, back to my original question: Does a low MCAT score generally mean you are unfit for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but does a low MCAT score generally mean that you are unfit for medical school?

My MCAT is next week. I can't seem to break a 27 on my FLs, and I am at my wit's end...I have studied so long and hard for this, and I'm just really depressed and discouraged right now. I often think, "How will I EVER make it through med school, much less residency, if I can't even score a measly 30 on the MCAT? Med school is way harder than this..." I know it's unhealthy to think that way, but it's hard not to sometimes. I have a decent GPA (3.7), but this MCAT is killing me, and I feel like I just can't study any more than I already have...I am hoping and praying for at least a 31. If I can't get in this year, I'll study more and try again next year. I have followed my passion of becoming a doctor for over a decade now, but if I can't get in next year, I may just have to suck it up and follow a different career path. Sorry for rambling. :p

Don't sweat it. I'm pretty close to the Dean of Student Affairs at my state college's med school (average med school in the US), and he says there's no significant correlation between the MCAT scores and student performance. He also said that most of the people in the top 10% of the class actually had MCAT scores below the school average of 31.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My MCAT is next week. I can't seem to break a 27 on my FLs, and I am at my wit's end...I have studied so long and hard for this, and I'm just really depressed and discouraged right now. I often think, "How will I EVER make it through med school, much less residency, if I can't even score a measly 30 on the MCAT? Med school is way harder than this..." I know it's unhealthy to think that way, but it's hard not to sometimes. I have a decent GPA (3.7), but this MCAT is killing me, and I feel like I just can't study any more than I already have...I am hoping and praying for at least a 31. If I can't get in this year, I'll study more and try again next year. I have followed my passion of becoming a doctor for over a decade now, but if I can't get in next year, I may just have to suck it up and follow a different career path. Sorry for rambling! :p

Anyway, back to my original question: Does a low MCAT score generally mean you are unfit for medical school?

Absolutely not. Case in point, think about in hs how everyone thought that the SAT/ACT were indicators of how well you will do in college. I say **** that logic because I got a 21 ACT score, the dead average at the time, and I currently have a 3.86 GPA at one of the top state schools in the country as a double science major. The same can be said for the MCAT. You will most likely not encounter physics in med school or even gen chem. One section is entirely dedicated to those subjects. There are tons and I mean tons of doctors who hated/couldn't do physics and barely got by on the MCAT who become great doctors. Just don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
r-value is .60 for correlation to Step 1 performance. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17198300

If you can't break a 27, I might be concerned about passing Step 1, but "fitness" for medical school undoubtedly encompasses more than performance on standardized exams.

Sorry for an unrelated question, but I noticed that you have links to Medical School Data, do you have a post or a thread that has more information on it?

I clicked on it and I am interested to know about it.

Don't give up on your dreams. The only person who would be preventing you from getting into medical school is YOURSELF. You can always improve on the MCAT (or anythinng academic), so keep trying even if it takes a little longer. Your GPA great, don't let the MCAT hold you back. Practice and consistent knowledge building is key for MCAT success.

Almost every successful people, including actors and athletes have encountered incredible obstacles and doubts. Look at Michael Jordan, the greatest of all time. Hell, look at Einstein. He sucked in school but is now indisputably the greatest physicist (even scientist) of all time. All students today are educated about him and his discoveries, imagine what would happen if he was defeated in his dreams thanks to some grades or scores...the world would be so behind in science.

You will be surprised what not giving up will take you. You definitely have a chance of getting into med school and becoming a doctor, but that would be IMPOSSIBLE if you gave up.

Good luck!

I agree with Forkit, if this is your dream, don't give up! If I was in your shoes, I think the best plan of action would be to postpone the MCAT, take a short break from studying, maybe a week or so, and during that time just think about your studying strategy, what is inefficient, what are your weak points, what are you good at, and how to improve. Then get the materials needed, come back in and kick some ass!! You have a great GPA, and the length of time of your commitment shows how bad you want this, so I really think you have it in you. A 27 is right there, people often plateau around the just before the 30's and the only change needed is a solid test taking strategy and routine, which helps a lot more than you think! Best of luck, and don't give up, you can do it!

NO... WAY... IN... HELL...

There are some people better at this test than others. Why don't you look at the beasts who had a low MCAT score and high USMLE score. Just reevaluate your study techniques and try to improve.

I actually share this concern too. I'm a 3rd time retaker (27, 30 but Vr was 7 both times) and I'm afraid I'll fail Step 1 or get a low score (below avg). My mentor (a HMS big shot) has basically written me off as "unlikely to do well in/barely pass" medicine since I took the MCAT more than once (and bombed it more than once) and my family has hinted at the same thing. :(

Absolutely not. Case in point, think about in hs how everyone thought that the SAT/ACT were indicators of how well you will do in college. I say **** that logic because I got a 21 ACT score, the dead average at the time, and I currently have a 3.86 GPA at one of the top state schools in the country as a double science major. The same can be said for the MCAT. You will most likely not encounter physics in med school or even gen chem. One section is entirely dedicated to those subjects. There are tons and I mean tons of doctors who hated/couldn't do physics and barely got by on the MCAT who become great doctors. Just don't sweat it.

I......wouldn't be so quick to say this. Cardio and pulmonary is all fluid dynamics, actually. You'd be surprised how much physics will be in your physio classes.

Source: my husband is an M2 and I've stayed up many-a-night helping him study.

I want to bring up a new point to this thread, the lack of doctors in America. While I agree that medicine is a prestigious career and should be made difficult so that only the responsible and hard working get in, I must admit that the admission system for medical schools is, in my opinion, a bit broken. This is particularly true for M.D. applications. How is it possible that the US has a shortage of almost all types of physicians, from primary care to neurosurgeons, and simultaneously there are thousands of applicants that would be great physicians (at least in my opinion) that never get to realize their dream? Ill tell you why, we have placed doctors to an incredibly high standard that only a few are able to achieve. Again I want to stress that I believe that there should be a high standard, but in my opinion, that standard is way too high now. The only way to create more doctors in the US is to lower the standard, create more schools (something that D.O. schools seem to be doing more efficiently than M.D. schools).

So bear2roo don't worry, just because the doctor you are mentoring (who is probably an exceptionally good physician, better than most) does not think that you meet the crazy standard that has been created (which he met), does not mean that you could not be a great doctor. We need good primary care physicians, which we all know there is a huge lack of, which I'm sure with your 30 in the MCAT and demonstration of dedication you could become. Have you thought of becoming a D.O.? In my opinion you seem responsible, smart (I mean you did get a 30), I am sure people would be grateful to have you as a doctor.

LOL sorry for the huge post guys lol.

The MCAT is a test of minimal knowledge, and your performance on it will have no bearing on how you interact and take care of your patients.

It's honestly not hard to break 30 on the mcat. You have to know the topics listed by the AAMC fundamentally well and you have a 30. It's that easy. There are youtube videos on every single mcat topic. If you dont remember something, look it up and somebody will teach you the topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's honestly not hard to break 30 on the mcat. You have to know the topics listed by the AAMC fundamentally well and you have a 30. It's that easy. There are youtube videos on every single mcat topic. If you dont remember something, look it up and somebody will teach you the topic.

unless your verbal skills are shoddy.

with sciences I will agree (more or less) that if you suck at any one field be it Bio, Orgo, Fizzicz, or GChem, if you put more time into it and try every resource out there, you should be able to make 10-11+.

with sciences I will agree (more or less) that if you suck at any one field be it Bio, Orgo, Fizzicz, or GChem, if you put more time into it and try every resource out there, you should be able to make 10-11+.

So if you suck at verbal then you're going to continue at sucking at verbal ?

unless your verbal skills are shoddy.

Read the news and the Economist for a year prior to the mcat. It's similar in the author having an opinion on topics that you frankly don't care about. Try to read them fast and make an argument about the author's opinion in your head.

The number 1 best tip for mcat verbal: imagine you're taking verbal in front of a hostile crowd; you should argue for the strongest answer and move on. I averaged 12 on the aamcs doing this, so do what you will with this information.

I want to bring up a new point to this thread, the lack of doctors in America. While I agree that medicine is a prestigious career and should be made difficult so that only the responsible and hard working get in, I must admit that the admission system for medical schools is, in my opinion, a bit broken. This is particularly true for M.D. applications. How is it possible that the US has a shortage of almost all types of physicians, from primary care to neurosurgeons, and simultaneously there are thousands of applicants that would be great physicians (at least in my opinion) that never get to realize their dream? Ill tell you why, we have placed doctors to an incredibly high standard that only a few are able to achieve. Again I want to stress that I believe that there should be a high standard, but in my opinion, that standard is way too high now. The only way to create more doctors in the US is to lower the standard, create more schools (something that D.O. schools seem to be doing more efficiently than M.D. schools).

So bear2roo don't worry, just because the doctor you are mentoring (who is probably an exceptionally good physician, better than most) does not think that you meet the crazy standard that has been created (which he met), does not mean that you could not be a great doctor. We need good primary care physicians, which we all know there is a huge lack of, which I'm sure with your 30 in the MCAT and demonstration of dedication you could become. Have you thought of becoming a D.O.? In my opinion you seem responsible, smart (I mean you did get a 30), I am sure people would be grateful to have you as a doctor.

LOL sorry for the huge post guys lol.

Actually it has nothing to do with that at all, the limiting factor is the number of residency positions.

...we have placed doctors to an incredibly high standard that only a few are able to achieve...

Yeah, so? What is the point of specialization if the bar has to be lowered, or, what is the point of lowering the standards of an art that requires precision?
Good luck having CT surgeons and physicians without meeting rigorous standards :thumbup:

gettheleadout, I know that recent residency shortages are a big concern for medical schools, in fact aamc published an article not to long ago about that. But this is a result of the need to increase medical school admissions. The aamc and other bodies have pushed for 1. the creation of new schools and 2. the increase in enrollment in the existing medical schools. The concern of existing medical schools is that there will not be enough residencies out there. But nonetheless everyone agrees that medical school admission needs to increase dramatically, not only for the current shortage but also for the huge shortage that will come once the baby boomers retire.

Link to that article:
https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/newsreleases/335244/050213.html

And Mr. Avante, like I said, of course there has to be rigorous standards, I am all for that, what I am not for is a shortage of doctors to raise standards or to keep existing ones in place. In fact the demand for doctors is so high that the supply of doctors is increasingly coming from other sources other than the traditional AAMC schools. Look at the HUGE spike in D.O. schools and D.O. matriculation, do you think that is mere coincidence? The reason for that is because M.D. schools are not able to meet the demand. So if the AAMC and its schools do not drop the standards and raise the matriculation spots guess what? They be lowered by someone else, in this case D.O. programs. Mind you no one complains that D.O. physicians are not good enough, so they might as well have been M.D. because they are practicing medicine anyway.

Link to interesting graph demonstrating matriculant growth between M.D. and D.O. notice the almost no growth for 30 years for M.D. Sorry its from wiki, I am too lazy to find the actual source, but there is one in the page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MD_DO_first_year.PNG

Just my 2 cents.

Don't give up on your dreams. The only person who would be preventing you from getting into medical school is YOURSELF. You can always improve on the MCAT (or anythinng academic), so keep trying even if it takes a little longer. Your GPA great, don't let the MCAT hold you back. Practice and consistent knowledge building is key for MCAT success.

Almost every successful people, including actors and athletes have encountered incredible obstacles and doubts. Look at Michael Jordan, the greatest of all time. Hell, look at Einstein. He sucked in school but is now indisputably the greatest physicist (even scientist) of all time. All students today are educated about him and his discoveries, imagine what would happen if he was defeated in his dreams thanks to some grades or scores...the world would be so behind in science.

You will be surprised what not giving up will take you. You definitely have a chance of getting into med school and becoming a doctor, but that would be IMPOSSIBLE if you gave up.

Good luck!
Sorry to nitpick and I know it's really tangential, but it always bugs me to see this sort of misinformation propagated. I mean, yeah, it's a nice story and it makes everyone feel better about themselves, but it's not, well, you know...true.

I know I'm technically not supposed to bump an old thread but I just wanted to thank the kind people who 10.5 years ago told me not to give up on my dream of becoming a doctor when I was discouraged about my MCAT score. I'm beyond pleased to say that I am now a chief general surgery resident and will be starting transplant fellowship this year. To anyone else with dreams of becoming a physician who is struggling to get into medical school, residency, etc., work hard and never give up!!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 29 users
I know I'm technically not supposed to bump an old thread but I just wanted to thank the kind people who 10.5 years ago told me not to give up on my dream of becoming a doctor when I was discouraged about my MCAT score. I'm beyond pleased to say that I am now a chief general surgery resident and will be starting transplant fellowship this year. To anyone else with dreams of becoming a physician who is struggling to get into medical school, residency, etc., work hard and never give up!!
You go Boy!!!

Reactions: 2 users
This forum is so old now that there should be a thread or wall of posts on this site of posts like this of people who doubted themselves and years later became successful physicians and achieved their goals.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Ok so I saw the 27 on the MCAT and my dinosaur self thought you either had pirated practice tests from a thousand years ago and were totally clueless or that someone necrobumped an ancient thread...

I'm pleasantly surprised it was the latter due to the reasoning for the necrobump. Incredibly well done!

• Care
This forum is so old now that there should be a thread or wall of posts on this site of posts like this of people who doubted themselves and years later became successful physicians and achieved their goals.
Would be a nice idea, especially to get forgotten posters to come back... how should we do this?

Would be a nice idea, especially to get forgotten posters to come back... how should we do this?
Just my advice but most people who get into medical school and then become physicians are too busy to come back to online forums...and I don't blame them.

These success stories are nice to hear but to implement an "SDN Alumni" type of feature would require some type of robust verification process where maybe we can match a story to a face and I don't know how many people are open to that.