unethical psychiatrist question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serenablare

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I do not know if this is the right community to ask this question as you are residents and not lawyers, but this place is obviously highly trafficked so I will post this here.

When I was 23 years old I met a 50 year old psychiatrist on an internet dating website he claimed to be 48 so it did not sound as outrageous when I began seeing him. At the time I was clearly mentally imbalanced and since then have been diagnosed with a disorder. The psychiatrist who diagnosed me did so in one session and this diagnosis has been seconded by a psychologist.

I was a virgin when I met the psychiatrist from the dating website. He manipulated me and my mental illness and convinced me to have sex with him. I realize my wording is highly suspect, but if you take my claim of virgin at 23 for the truth and then consider what follows is losing one's virginity to a psychiatrist do you not think it is likely the psychiatrist manipulated the person into having sex with him when she had not had sex with anyone prior?

Do you not think the psychiatrist was aware of her mental illness and used that against her to manipulate her into doing something she would never have done otherwise? Do you not think a person without this specialized medical knowledge could have never convinced her into doing this?

This person exploited me in a fantastic way as he exploited my youth and mental illness which I am sure he was able to recognize and use against me He is a professor of psychiatry and highly esteemed child psychiatrist. Either he has been conning the medical profession for 20 years into believing his is a skilled physician or he used his expertise to exploit me.

I am now considering filing some ethics violation as he used his medical knowledge to pray on vulnerable women and is usually only successful if those women are mentally unbalanced.

In effort to anticipate your responses I was highly immature at the time and inexperienced and mentally unwell. If this happened to a mentally healthy 23 y.o woman who was not a virgin it would not be unethical it would just be bad luck and poor choices on her part. He as a child psychiatrist exploited me and my mental illness.

I am not attempting financial gain or notoriety. I am very sensitive about this experience it happened a year and a half ago and am just now coming to terms with it and trying to repair the harm that was wrought. Please do not insult me or my situation as I do not make a habit out of being used like this.

My question is if this would be worthy of filing an ethics violation against him or are psychiatrists free to do as they like with mentally unbalanced non patient women.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I do not know if this is the right community to ask this question as you are residents and not lawyers, but this place is obviously highly trafficked so I will post this here.

When I was 23 years old I met a 50 year old psychiatrist on an internet dating website he claimed to be 48 so it did not sound as outrageous when I began seeing him. At the time I was clearly mentally imbalanced and since then have been diagnosed with a disorder. The psychiatrist who diagnosed me did so in one session and this diagnosis has been seconded by a psychologist.

I was a virgin when I met the psychiatrist from the dating website. He manipulated me and my mental illness and convinced me to have sex with him. I realize my wording is highly suspect, but if you take my claim of virgin at 23 for the truth and then consider what follows is losing one's virginity to a psychiatrist do you not think it is likely the psychiatrist manipulated the person into having sex with him when she had not had sex with anyone prior?

Do you not think the psychiatrist was aware of her mental illness and used that against her to manipulate her into doing something she would never have done otherwise? Do you not think a person without this specialized medical knowledge could have never convinced her into doing this?

This person exploited me in a fantastic way as he exploited my youth and mental illness which I am sure he was able to recognize and use against me He is a professor of psychiatry and highly esteemed child psychiatrist. Either he has been conning the medical profession for 20 years into believing his is a skilled physician or he used his expertise to exploit me.

I am now considering filing some ethics violation as he used his medical knowledge to pray on vulnerable women and is usually only successful if those women are mentally unbalanced.

In effort to anticipate your responses I was highly immature at the time and inexperienced and mentally unwell. If this happened to a mentally healthy 23 y.o woman who was not a virgin it would not be unethical it would just be bad luck and poor choices on her part. He as a child psychiatrist exploited me and my mental illness.

I am not attempting financial gain or notoriety. I am very sensitive about this experience it happened a year and a half ago and am just now coming to terms with it and trying to repair the harm that was wrought. Please do not insult me or my situation as I do not make a habit out of being used like this.

My question is if this would be worthy of filing an ethics violation against him or are psychiatrists free to do as they like with mentally unbalanced non patient women.

Dear Serena

The short answer (and I am a med student, not a doctor): Doctors (including psychiatrists) can pretty much do in their spare time what they want. Unless they committed a crime, the ethics board doesn't get involved with their lives outside of practicing medicine. (Otherwise most divorced MDs would have ethics charges against them filed by their disgruntled ex-spouses...).
While it is sad that you continue to feel bad about this past relationship, my suggestion would be that you address these feelings with your psychologist so you will be able to trust and be not left feeling manipulated in your future relationships. You do sound hurt. At one point you talk about yourself in the third person ("she..."). You seem particularly concerned that you "lost" your virginity -- maybe this is something you might, in addition to professional psychological support, take up with the people who instilled these values in you (religious/faith leaders, parents, etc.). Sometimes this can help to put it into perspective.

Again, nobody here is giving medical or legal advice, or judging you. This is just what I would advise a good friend to do. I wish you all the best.

Last edited:
As a medical student or minimally educated person I think it would be obvious that an individual's first sexual experience effects all future sexual experiences.

I did address these feelings with a psychologist. I was seeing a counselor at my school, truly at one point she said "what did you THINK was going to happen?" She seemed more eager to know just who he was. She probably thought the entire scenario was a fabrication. The psychiatrist who diagnosed me was VERY concerned about the relationship I was having with this man. She did not suggest to me that his behavior was unethical, but I do not think she would recommend I pursue this course, as you said I should just "get over it"

I think if there is a predatory psychiatrist targeting mentally unstable women and exploiting them that person is unethical and should be reprimanded by the ethics board. He bragged to me about former girlfriends and their various and sundry mental disorders.

I did not ask you to analyze my post as though it were a piece of modernist fiction. There is no need for you to examine my word choice "lost" (A more appropriate term would be had stolen from me) or which person I spoke in. It is not religious indoctrination, culture, my parents, or the media which would make me feel I had been exploited by a 50 year old psychiatrist tricking me into having sex with him and using me for sex. I spoke in third person to remove myself from the situation to make an arguement that this is not unethical just because it happened to me and I am not lying about my "relationship" to make myself feel better over its demise and thereby not take responsibility for my own actions.

How long until you "doctors" in training start calling me a stupid ***** as I know is what you are thinking.

Part of the reason I think he can be penalized for this professionally is his behavior relatively recently, he has been acting very guilty and I think he is hoping I don't realize I have legal recourse...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long until you "doctors" in training start calling me a stupid ***** as I know is what you are thinking.
I doubt anyone is thinking that, serenablare. But SDN discourages members from giving either legal or medical advice, so you might find you're not going to get the sort of feedback you're looking for.

It sounds like you're already seeing someone to help you through this emotionally. If you're considering legal action, a lawyer would be the right person to contact.

Best of luck with the healing process...

As a medical student or minimally educated person I think it would be obvious that an individual's first sexual experience effects all future sexual experiences.

I did address these feelings with a psychologist. I was seeing a counselor at my school, truly at one point she said "what did you THINK was going to happen?" She seemed more eager to know just who he was. She probably thought the entire scenario was a fabrication. The psychiatrist who diagnosed me was VERY concerned about the relationship I was having with this man. She did not suggest to me that his behavior was unethical, but I do not think she would recommend I pursue this course, as you said I should just "get over it"

I think if there is a predatory psychiatrist targeting mentally unstable women and exploiting them that person is unethical and should be reprimanded by the ethics board. He bragged to me about former girlfriends and their various and sundry mental disorders.

I did not ask you to analyze my post as though it were a piece of modernist fiction. There is no need for you to examine my word choice "lost" (A more appropriate term would be had stolen from me) or which person I spoke in. It is not religious indoctrination, culture, my parents, or the media which would make me feel I had been exploited by a 50 year old psychiatrist tricking me into having sex with him and using me for sex. I spoke in third person to remove myself from the situation to make an arguement that this is not unethical just because it happened to me and I am not lying about my "relationship" to make myself feel better over its demise and thereby not take responsibility for my own actions.

Part of the reason I think he can be penalized for this professionally is his behavior relatively recently, he has been acting very guilty and I think he is hoping I don't realize I have legal recourse...

Sorry, Serenablare, I did NOT call you a "stupid *****" nor did I suggest you should "get over it". I do apologize if my comments hurt you in any way.

Last edited:
This thread has nothing to do with psychiatry. If someone thinks someone else committed a "crime" or broke a law then they should consult a lawyer, not a community of psychiatrists/residents/students (who do not know all the details and are infact not law trained). This is true regardless of the specialty.

I vote for :lock::sendoff:

Status
Not open for further replies.