Unecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ErinG

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, folks, I am asking another question about UNECOM (my top choice):
For the students who have already been accepted to UNECOM, what, in your opinion, is the most important factor in applying to UNECOM? That is, if you had to pick one particular thing about your sucessful applications to UNECOM, what would it be?

Thank you!
(I know that this line of conversation is somewhat futile because I will be trying to shine in all aspects of my application, but I guess I'm asking this to get a feel of the school more than pinpoint my application)...
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Erin...I really feel that each applicant is considered on an idividual basis. Emphasize your passions and don't hold back. Be honest. Be yourself. I personally took this approach, especially in the personal statement and interview. I made it be known unequivocally why osteopathic medicine and UNECOM complimented my philosophy of health care and style of living. Although this may all sound a bit vague, who you are will ultimately shine through, this is important!

Good luck!

I would have to agree with sacroiliac. Be honest and be yourself. Great numbers go very far but if you don't know yourself and why you want to become an Oteopathic physician it will show, especially in your interview.
Personally I had average numbers, however I had a life experience that was more unique than any other DO student out there and my personal statement and letters of recommendation reflected this. More than likely, I was accepted because my interviewers liked who I was as a person (we just clicked). Individuals with great personalities who pursues their goals with vigor will get into medical school.
They have to know you want it and know why you want it. It is up to you to deliver this in every portion of your application. Hope this helps. Best Wishes.

JJ

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that besides numbers what will help you the most for UNE is getting as much osteopathic experience as you can and be able to draw from those experiences when you write or are asked why you want to be an osteopathic physician. I had osteopathic experiences in Maine which I think also looks very good. Good luck

Where do UNECOM students spend their 3rd and 4th years? From what I've read, I understand that students have to move to NJ, NY, MA, PA, and some other states for rotations. Is this correct?

I'm from Maine and UNE was my first choice - I worked hard on my entire application, but I put a lot of emphasis on my essay/personal statement. During my interview I was asked questions about my experiences mentioned in my essay and it was a good jumping off point for the rest of the interview.

(Though they started with that awful "Tell me about yourself" question - even though I KNEW it was coming and I'd thought about it and practiced what I was going to say it was nerve-wracking to do it in front of them and rattled me for a few seconds....)

My osteopath offered to write me a reccomendation, but the timing didn't work out and when I was interviewed there wasn't a letter from her in my file. They asked about this and one of the interviewers said that it "could only help my file" to have a letter. I had other letters of rec, but they were specifically looking for one from her because I had mentioned my experiences with an osteopath. I say that to show that they might go looking for a letter if you've mentioned working with or being a patient of an osteopath. :)

I took the mcat twice, and they wondered what I'd done to improve my score - I hadn't done anything (like take extra classes or do more studying), which led to an interesting discussion. They had reviewed my grades and knew the classes I had taken - they knew my entire application!

All in all I'd make sure your application reflects who you are! Have several people read your application and "sit" on it for a week or so and re-read it to make sure it still says what you want it to say. UNE's application has a few "extra" spots for info about you - use them to your advantage. :)

Good luck - I'm part of the class of 2007 and hope to see you in another year or so!

Public Health - Read through the UNECOM Class of 2007 thread - I put info about clincial years and where people matched and such in one post on the second page. :)

UNECOM Rotation sites: In caps is the "clinical training center", which is the area that you will be assigned to. In each area, you may rotate at more than one of the hospitals listed. If you rotate are assigned to Lehigh Valley, Berkshires, Lancaster, or Maine, you may do your peds or psych rotation in another clinical training center. Housing is provided and included in tuition, except for the southern Maine sites, at which it is assumed that you kept the housing that you had durign undergrad.

Rotations are chosen by lottery. The lottery is done in person, is organized by your class, and administered by the 1st year class. You go to the table of the clinical training center that you want. If there are more people than there is slots, it goes to lottery and names are drawn. If there are enough slots for the people, everyone there gets the site. This year, after trades, I'd say only 3-4 people out of 110 are unhappy with what they got. My class had a disproportionate amount of people wanting to go to Rhode Island, Maine, and the Berkshires, and there weren't enough spots for all of us. I initially didn't get my first choice, but ended up with it during trade week :) Below are the current rotation sites:

Watertown Clinical Training Center
Samaritan Hospital, Watertown NY

KEYSTONE Clinical Training Center

Community Hospital of Lancaster, PA
St. Joseph Hospital, Reading, PA

LEATHERSTOCKING REGION Clinical Training Center

Bassett Healthcare, Cooperstown NY
St. Elizabeth Hospital, Utica NY

LEHIGH VALLEY Clinical Training Center

St. Luke?s Hospital, Allentown PA
Warren Hospital, Phillipsburg NJ

MAINE Clinical Training Center

Central Maine Medical Center, Lewiston ME
Eastern Maine Medical Center, Bangor ME
Maine-Dartmouth Family Practice, Augusta ME
Maine Medical Center, Portland ME
Mercy Hospital, Portland ME
St. Mary?s Regional Medical Center, Lewiston ME
Southern Maine Medical Center, Biddeford ME
University Health Care, Biddeford & Portland ME
Veterans Administration Hospital, Togus ME

MASSACHUSETTS Clinical Training Center

Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield MA

NEWARK Clinical Training Center

Columbus Hospital, Newark NJ
St. Joseph?s Hospital & Medical Center, Paterson NJ
St. Michael?s Medical Center, Newark NJ

RHODE ISLAND Clinical Training Center

Kent Hospital, Warwick RI
Roger Williams Medical Center, Providence RI

Students also may be assigned to the following facilities:

UHS/Wilson Memorial Regional Med Center, Johnson City NY University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey/School of Osteopathic Medicine affiliate hospitals NJ