Underrated Tips Prior to OMS-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tgfu34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was recently accepted and I have ~5 months until orientation week. I was wondering if could receive some recommendations as to what I could be doing to further prepare myself for medical school to make the transition smoother. It could be life hacks, suggestions for books to read, skills to learn, etc. I just want to make sure that I'm using my time wisely and hopefully this can turn into a sticky thread for future matriculants to use. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If I had a dollar for every time one of these threads was started..

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Hey everyone!

I was recently accepted and I have ~5 months until orientation week. I was wondering if could receive some recommendations as to what I could be doing to further prepare myself for medical school to make the transition smoother. It could be life hacks, suggestions for books to read, skills to learn, etc. I just want to make sure that I'm using my time wisely and hopefully this can turn into a sticky thread for future matriculants to use. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#1 thing you can do to actually help you succeed is learn how to be organized and balance your irl responsibilities. I firmly believe those who are most successful in medical school are neither the smartest nor the hardest working. They're the ones who are most efficient and organization plays a huge role. Relax, enjoy life, but start developing good life habits (regular sleep schedule, learning how to prep easy and healthy meals, keeping your living space clean, understanding how to live on a budget, etc) before you get to med school. Knowing how to live like an adult and being able to actually do it will help you far more than any academic prep ever will in terms of succeeding in med school. This becomes even more true once you start clinical years and is magnified during residency. You've got 5 months, which is plenty of time to accomplish this and will set you up for long-term success if you don't already have your s*** together.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to a legal state and get as high as possible while taking a two week long camping/hiking trip along the continental divide...

Reactions: 8 users
Learn you are average and it’s not worth killing yourself over. You were always at the head of your class in undergrad and so was everyone else. You are now in a class of top dogs. There is no shame in being average. And it’s not worth your mental health. Take breaks at school. Learn the material and move on.

Reactions: 9 users
Learn how to meal prep. Set up a meal plan and learn how to make it quickly.

Set up a work out schedule you can stick to w/o thinking about it.

Get your teeth cleaned. Get on your car fixed. If something has been ailing you for a long time. GET IT FIXED.

Be ready to go on day one. Have your apartment set up in the way you want it. Most people that fail out of school fail out first term. Mostly because they weren't ready to go on the first week and fell behind.

Reactions: 10 users
The above is seriously good advice. If there is somewhere or something you have been itching to go to or do, go do it right now. Spend the money and go on that trip you have been putting off until it's a good time. It will never be a better time than right now

Learn you are average and it’s not worth killing yourself over. You were always at the head of your class in undergrad and so was everyone else. You are now in a class of top dogs. There is no shame in being average. And it’s not worth your mental health. Take breaks at school. Learn the material and move on.
This is probably the best advice someone could receive/prepare for

Reactions: 2 users
Prepare yourself for the garbage and colossal waste of time that is the majority of OMM...

Reactions: 20 users
Hey everyone!

Get high... Do a ton of drugs... Get laid... Get ripped... Rinse and repeat until orientation

Reactions: 3 users
Yea we’ve seen these threads, but the responses have been equally garbage.

If I were you, I’d start watching sketchy videos now. No matter what anyone says, it’s a great way to study and get a head start for the micro and pharm that will be coming your way. Even if you forgot it (which you will), having seen some of it once then rewatching it will make it much easier than learning it and getting used to how sketchy works.

Edit: if you can do anything fun, do that first.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!

-Get your mental health on really solid ground
-For the love of god pursue or develop a hobby that you can continue in med school. Preferrably something that gets you outside & moving. Your class will be full of students who bizarrely don't have these
-Do something you've always wanted to before starting school

Yea we’ve seen these threads, but the responses have been equally garbage.

If I were you, I’d start watching sketchy videos now. No matter what anyone says, it’s a great way to study and get a head start for the micro and pharm that will be coming your way. Even if you forgot it (which you will), having seen some of it once then rewatching it will make it much easier than learning it and getting used to how sketchy works.

Edit: if you can do anything fun, do that first.
Have to wholeheartedly disagree. It’s a waste of time without having a base level of understanding before watching.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Literally the most useful advice in here. The faster you are able to process that being middle of the pack is okay, the faster you will have a better medical school experience.

Reactions: 1 user
If I could go back in time I would focus less on arms/pecs/abs (the bro-plan) at the gym in the time leading up to med school & devote more time to my chicken legs. Not a lot, just enough to make them less tender-esk. When I go to the gym now I only want to do my favorite things, because I can't go as often, and I hate legs, so I don't do legs, which is exacerbating the chicken-ness of my breast-like legs. Sometimes I worry if someone might mistake my lower extremities as a wish bone whils't testing the internal/external rotation of my hip joint in OS lab, & alas, on that day, I will never be able to work legs again. For my wishbone-esk, poultry-looking' legs will be functional no more. I imagine I'd still go to the gym after this, but I'd be in a wheel chair while I recover, & what would I do at the gym? Correct. Not legs. This would even further exacerbate the problem.

Fastforward 15 years from now, I'm the head neurosurgeon at Harvard university. & this isn't surprising, because after the merger the DO's took over the medical world. Nobody knows what MDs are anymore. MD who? MD what? Anyways, I'm on a 10 hour surgery & my frail chicken legs snap from the the 15 years of continued neglect. Luckily, my now massive arms I have been working on since before medical school broke my fall & I proceeded to use them in place of my legs (much like spongebob squarepants at muscle beach), but unfortunately, I obliterated the brain aneurysm of the patient I was working on. He dies within minutes.

Afterwards, I put down the scalpel - the stethoscope too - & retire to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, where all the elderly of the United States go to die. But I'm not a happy elderly person, I'm a sad one. Because I am a disgraced neurosurgeon & it's all because I didn't lift legs the 6 months leading up to medical school.

#GetWoke

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 39 users
Get in the best shape possible.

Get as much sleep as you can.

Watch as much TV, netflix, etc. as you can.

Your "free" time is about to become med school's biatch.

Your whole life will now become revolved around medicine as you now know it.

You will be ALWAYS doing something related to medicine or your school for the next few years.

Looking back at the past 2.5 years for me... the BEST time I had in life was between undergrad and medical school.

I was young, full of energy, in the best shape of my life, had a slick jawline that the chicks lovedddd, and was FREE.

No major responsibilities besides a part-time job.

I'm now sitting in the same pair of scrubs I've worn for the past 3 days because I'm just too tired to change into my sweatpants with the expandable waistband.

Haven't shaved in 5 weeks. Teeth are stained from all the coffee I consume.

I'm pretty sure I have elevated BP and my lipid panel probably looks worse than many patients I see in clinic....

Med school took everything from me.

I've had to cancel appearances to weddings, baby showers, and even funerals because of something related to school.

And if I took even 1-2 days off, the admin at my school would come down with case reports and stupid meetings as to why I missed a day or two that it was much easier to not go to such life-changing events.

Med school is a terrible mistress.

But goddamn it I love her.

I have no choice.

She got me in her grasp and I cannot nor will I escape.

If I go down, I'm taking her with me.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Have fun before orientation. DO NOT PRE-STUDY! lol seriously though. Med school isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If you got this far you most likely have what it takes.

I really don't think there's a way to prepare for medical school until you start and experience what your day is like for yourself. You'll establish a flow that works. Definitely get the living situation down well before orientation but when it comes to prepping meals and exercising, you just need to play around with your specific schedule. You will almost certainly regret pre-stuyding. I understand the urge, but in retrospect it would have been a huge bummer if I spent that time trying to learn anatomy, or god-forbid watching sketchy lol. You will spend the next 3 years living with the constant burden of feeling like you need to study because either a test or board-exam is on the horizon, your free time is less enjoyable. 4th year is pretty sweet but I still worry that my knowledge base is crumbling. My free time has never been so pure as it was before medical school.

*Learn* how to use anki before school by watching a few videos and messing with it for a maximum of 2-3 hours.

If you want to prestudy go ahead as it will legitimately put you ahead if you do it right, but I think getting drunk is more valuable at this point in your life.

You will spend the next 3 years living with the constant burden of feeling like you need to study because either a test or board-exam is on the horizon, your free time is less enjoyable
/thread

But seriously, you have no idea how true this is until you're in it, no matter how many people tell you beforehand. Enjoy your free time. The summer after I graduated undergrad before starting med school was the first time I had been truly free since I was a kid.

/thread

But seriously, you have no idea how true this is until you're in it, no matter how many people tell you beforehand. Enjoy your free time. The summer after I graduated undergrad before starting med school was the first time I had been truly free since I was a kid.

Everything goes downhill after Step 1. Trust me on this, at least until intern year.

Everything goes downhill after Step 1. Trust me on this, at least until intern year.
You constantly hear people talking about how 3rd year is so many hours and awful, but I always hear people in the background saying it is better than M2. I guess I will find out soon enough :)

I only have 7 weeks left of rotations and my only advice would be...dont listen to advice. Except the mental health one. that one is good. Other than that, just exp medical school and come to your own conclusions. Sometimes people plant ideas in your head and it can make you approach things with a bias. Just my opinion. You can discard it if youd like.

^ second this.
I heard all the same stuff all the time about Zanki, Pathoma, etc. I may be in the minority, but I despise anki. the interface sucks and I dont learn the material, I just memorize cards. Which in the long run doesn't help. To each their own. Have an open mind going in, work hard, then fine tune as you go

If I could go back in time I would focus less on arms/pecs/abs (the bro-plan) at the gym in the time leading up to med school & devote more time to my chicken legs. Not a lot, just enough to make them less tender-esk. When I go to the gym now I only want to do my favorite things, because I can't go as often, and I hate legs, so I don't do legs, which is exacerbating the chicken-ness of my breast-like legs. Sometimes I worry if someone might mistake my lower extremities as a wish bone whils't testing the internal/external rotation of my hip joint in OS lab, & alas, on that day, I will never be able to work legs again. For my wishbone-esk, poultry-looking' legs will be functional no more. I imagine I'd still go to the gym after this, but I'd be in a wheel chair while I recover, & what would I do at the gym? Correct. Not legs. This would even further exacerbate the problem.

Fastforward 15 years from now, I'm the head neurosurgeon at Harvard university. & this isn't surprising, because after the merger the DO's took over the medical world. Nobody knows what MDs are anymore. MD who? MD what? Anyways, I'm on a 10 hour surgery & my frail chicken legs snap from the the 15 years of continued neglect. Luckily, my now massive arms I have been working on since before medical school broke my fall & I proceeded to use them in place of my legs (much like spongebob squarepants at muscle beach), but unfortunately, I obliterated the brain aneurysm of the patient I was working on. He dies within minutes.

Afterwards, I put down the scalpel - the stethoscope too - & retire to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, where all the elderly of the United States go to die. But I'm not a happy elderly person, I'm a sad one. Because I am a disgraced neurosurgeon & it's all because I didn't lift legs the 6 months leading up to medical school.

#GetWoke
The imagery...

This is your masterpiece. It is how you should be remembered.

Being a 4th year I have talked to many people over the years that have tried the pre-study for med school approach all have regrets about it and found it didnt help. You need a whole new set of skills that you can only learn once you are in med school.
Just get in a good vacation and make sure all of our stuff for school is set up.

You constantly hear people talking about how 3rd year is so many hours and awful, but I always hear people in the background saying it is better than M2. I guess I will find out soon enough :)
3rd year is way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy better than 2nd year. You have to hate patients for it to be worse. And since you have that healthcare background, your gonna love being back in the ocean and out of the pond scum that is the moldy tower of Osteopathic med school. Not having OMM and the Doctering class alone with all their mandatory nonsense cut my stress in half.

Reactions: 4 users
A minimal of 3hours of cardio a week. Buy an espresso machine. Make friends with a good group who will be supportive and care about you. Go on vacations and spend time loving life.

#GetWoke

This is absolutely amazing. You will be remembered for many years for this well-crafted reply. As a powerlifter, I understand how important Leg Day is but I never knew it would impact things outside of fitness so much. Thank you for your wisdom #CantSpellLegendaryWithoutLEGDAY

Study as much as you need to and don't let any of these bratty ass medical students try to make you feel like you are studying too much or too little.

You're paying 50-60K a year to not LOOK like you're studying BUT ACTUALLY doing so.

So try.

Work your ass off.

No matter what.

Avoid all pricks and buttheads if you have to.

You will meet plenty.

• Haha
Study as much as you need to and don't let any of these bratty ass medical students try to make you feel like you are studying too much or too little.

This 1000x.

It sounds crazy but you'll meet a ton of people that "Never looked at material". Spoiler Alert they have or they are one of those really smart cookies.

Now that I'm deeper into boards studying I don't even talk to anyone about what i'm doing in school. Most people are only asking you because they want to use you as a measuring stick.

This 1000x.

It sounds crazy but you'll meet a ton of people that "Never looked at material". Spoiler Alert they have or they are one of those really smart cookies.

Now that I'm deeper into boards studying I don't even talk to anyone about what i'm doing in school. Most people are only asking you because they want to use you as a measuring stick.

It's not gonna stop there bud. Just wait until third year where you may be split up into different rotations and don't see any of these freaks the whole year.

I LOVED IT.

Bunch of goddamn leeches that don't text you for months at a time only to ask you "What did you study for this shelf?", "What did you get in this rotation for your grade?", "What preceptor did you have?", etc.

A simple, "HEY! HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL?! I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME OUT QUEEN!" isn't too hard to type out...

You could atleast lube me up before effing me.

Jeez.

I recently met one of my classmates at a meeting for our school and mind you we haven't spoken in about 8 months since 3rd year started...

He comes up to me and just asks blatantly in front of my preceptor and some other med students, "So what are you going into? Have you set up your away rotations yet? Are you gonna take USMLE and COMLEX 2? Are you prepping for it?" just out of NOWHERE.

When I told him that I've already done my first pass of UW and am working on my second before dedicated begins, and I got my aways set up...

You should have seen his eyes and how his shoulders slowly drooped as he let out a slight sigh and "Oh.. wow man... you are studying hard for boards huh" and let out a nervous laugh.

I just countered with his sarcastic remark with "Well... am I not supposed to be studying? Isn't that why we are here... in MEDICAL school...? To STUDY...? TO PASS... our boards and move onto residency?"

I swear to God.

Med students are just a different breed man.

Bunch of freakin' weirdos.

Third year and fourth are just SOOO much better when you don't have to see these fake, insecure, conniving, and bloodsucking little brats anymore.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Study over the summer (not a lot), adjust your behaviors based on what your goals are, and adjust how you perceive someone's advice based on the person giving it to you. I'm not saying a normal person can't give you good advice but a lot of average M2s just purposefully enjoying their cruise to FM are going to tell you, as an M1, what to do and unconsciously give you bad advice in general or for your situation if you are not trying to follow their exact path. SDN gets a bad rap but honestly the info is right on the money with regards to school. Sure there are some "do I have a chance at neurology I'm an MD with a 260 and a good school? What will I do I'm a failure" posts but I would rather read some weirdo posts online every once in a while to learn stuff no one at your school will tell you because they don't know it's already online for anyone to read.

Try and have Step 1 and Step 2 memorized prior to August. Something about an anki deck too....

It's not gonna stop there bud. Just wait until third year where you may be split up into different rotations and don't see any of these freaks the whole year.

I LOVED IT.

Bunch of goddamn leeches that don't text you for months at a time only to ask you "What did you study for this shelf?", "What did you get in this rotation for your grade?", "What preceptor did you have?", etc.

A simple, "HEY! HOPE YOU ARE DOING WELL?! I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME OUT QUEEN!" isn't too hard to type out...

You could atleast lube me up before effing me.

Jeez.

I recently met one of my classmates at a meeting for our school and mind you we haven't spoken in about 8 months since 3rd year started...

He comes up to me and just asks blatantly in front of my preceptor and some other med students, "So what are you going into? Have you set up your away rotations yet? Are you gonna take USMLE and COMLEX 2? Are you prepping for it?" just out of NOWHERE.

When I told him that I've already done my first pass of UW and am working on my second before dedicated begins, and I got my aways set up...

You should have seen his eyes and how his shoulders slowly drooped as he let out a slight sigh and "Oh.. wow man... you are studying hard for boards huh" and let out a nervous laugh.

I just countered with his sarcastic remark with "Well... am I not supposed to be studying? Isn't that why we are here... in MEDICAL school...? To STUDY...? TO PASS... our boards and move onto residency?"

I swear to God.

Med students are just a different breed man.

Bunch of freakin' weirdos.

Third year and fourth are just SOOO much better when you don't have to see these fake, insecure, conniving, and bloodsucking little brats anymore.

I had high hopes I would be in class with cool kids who could care less. Looks like I’ll have a rude awakening this Fall haha.

PT school spoiled me because all we talked about was the gym and nutrition. The “gunners” in PT school were almost non-existent and everyone avoided them like the plague.

I had high hopes I would be in class with cool kids who could care less. Looks like I’ll have a rude awakening this Fall haha.

PT school spoiled me because all we talked about was the gym and nutrition. The “gunners” in PT school were almost non-existent and everyone avoided them like the plague.

Just be kind and nice.

But DON'T TRUST ANYBODY!

As much of a sour puss I appear to be on SDN, I was told I was one of the "sweetest and kindest people in our class".

Fake it 'til you make it.

SDN is my venting area.

Medical school just attracts a bunch of people who get off of the fact that they are now "worthy" since they will be docs soon... but a majority of them were just sheltered pricks who finally feel their life has worth since donning that short white coat.

Just study and avoid the drama as best as you can.

Just be kind and nice.

But DON'T TRUST ANYBODY!

As much of a sour puss I appear to be on SDN, I was told I was one of the "sweetest and kindest people in our class".

SDN is my venting area.

Medical school just attracts a bunch of people who get off of the fact that they are now "worthy" since they will be docs soon... but a majority of them were just sheltered pricks who finally feel their life has worth since donning that short white coat.

The fake it till you make it comment is gold. I love seeing your comments because I can relate to a lot of stuff. Yup, there is already a guy in our Facebook group with a white coat and stethoscope. Will be avoiding that guy haha

• Haha
The fake it till you make it comment is gold. I love seeing your comments because I can relate to a lot of stuff. Yup, there is already a guy in our Facebook group with a white coat and stethoscope. Will be avoiding that guy haha

He might be a current student-there’s a lot of them on our Facebook page.

Don't be one of those people that lose their minds every time there's a low test average because it was 'unfair' and go searching for points back and arguing like crazy. If there's legitimate issues, that's one thing, but most of the time there isn't. People assign their entire self image to numbers and nonsense like that and it just reflects poorly. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean a whole lot. Just cruise through and learn your stuff without worrying about the little things cuz they'll drive you crazy.

EDIT: Also this is DO school. Be okay with the ceiling that comes along with it. Complaining about it and how you can't be a neurosurgeon at Harvard won't change anything and those people in your class get old quick. We all are here because we have to be, so go in eyes wide open

I know it goes against what a lot of people would say but if I could go back I would do a little bit of zanki cards everyday. Even like 20 new cards a day plus reviews which wouldn't take very much time could make a nice dent into the step 1 studying and help your brain defrost if it has been a while since college,

Just be kind and nice.

But DON'T TRUST ANYBODY!

SDN is my venting area.

Your rants are so validating of the med school experience

Last edited:
A minimal of 3hours of cardio a week. Buy an espresso machine. Make friends with a good group who will be supportive and care about you. Go on vacations and spend time loving life.

how do you afford such vacations?

how do you afford such vacations?
the key is redefining 'vacation'. You aren't gonna be flying to Hawaii for a week, but driving to the closest metro area/pseudo-vacation spot and finding an airbnb or something does the trick

I've said this time and time again. Time management is the most valuable thing you'll ever have in med school. At least half the problems students commonly experience in med school can all instantly be dissipated just with proper time management skills.

It’s variable by school and class. Sure some folks I don’t jive with. And some probably don’t click with me. But my classmates have been really friendly and helpful overall. In fact, the only annoying negative ***hole that comes to mind from my class is ...me. Sure some folks are gonna post pics in their white coats or find a way to fit a stethoscope into every picture somehow. They’re just excited and not really hurting anyone.

But the class above me are super gunners by comparison to my class. I’ve heard about some cutthroat shenanigans.

The class below me has a disproportionate amount of jerks (maybe I’d fit in there). But I’m surprised you can act like that and still go to the next semester with the way they are.

My advice would be to stay away from most people in your class. I’ve seen so many students rat out other students to admin over silly things. Find friends outside of class, keep your head down and keep to yourself.