Underprivileged/Underserved Volunteering Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arizona1738

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So, I am planning on applying to medical school during next year's cycle and had some questions on Underprivileged/Underserved Volunteering.

1) How many hours do med schools like/want for this type of volunteering?

2) How many types of activities do med schools perceive as good/great for Underprivileged volunteering (like how many of the AMCAS activities/experiences would be beneficial dealing with strictly underserved/underprivileged work)?

3) Is volunteering at a Nursing Home considered Underprivileged volunteering (I assume it is, but I just want to be certain)?

The reason I'm asking all of these questions is because I'm going to be busy from Monday-Friday when school opens up and right now the only type of Underprivileged volunteering I can do that is on the weekends is the Nursing Home Volunteering. Also, I could do something over a month break or something but (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think med schools would really care for it if I've only done it for a month or less. Does anyone know if there are any underprivileged/underserved volunteering options available by certain organizations on the weekends as well? If so, which (keep in mind I know this is dependent on where you live but I was just wondering if anyone knows of any national organizations that do underprivileged volunteering)?

I've looked up many underprivileged/underserved opportunities but none are available on the weekends. Would this hurt me if I apply with only one of these kind of experiences? Or would this only hurt me at the underserved volunteering heavy schools (does anyone know which schools these are)?

I appreciate any and every kind of feedback I can get on this!

Members don't see this ad.

Why would volunteering at a nursing home be underprivileged/underserved volunteering?

Find a food pantry or homeless shelter, and get enough hours so you feel you've checked the box in your mind

Reactions: 1 user
Why would volunteering at a nursing home be underprivileged/underserved volunteering?

Find a food pantry or homeless shelter, and get enough hours so you feel you've checked the box in your mind

Oh alright idk why i assumed it was LOL! And okay, have been trying those issue is a lot of them are weekdays only. And do uk if there are a certain amount of activities/hours in underprivileged volunteering that med schools want by any chance?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh alright idk why i assumed it was LOL! And okay, have been trying those issue is a lot of them are weekdays only. And do uk if there are a certain amount of activities/hours that med schools want by any chance?

They like something around 100-150 hours.

Much of my app was centered around mine.

They like something around 100-150 hours.

Much of my app was centered around mine.

Got it, thank you! And congrats that's an incredible achievement (one I hope to have haha)! How many activities did you have that were underprivileged volunteering? Or did you only have 1 and do 100-150 hours with that one?

Got it, thank you! And congrats that's an incredible achievement (one I hope to have haha)! How many activities did you have that were underprivileged volunteering? Or did you only have 1 and do 100-150 hours with that one?

Just one with 200+ hours that spanned over two years and I held a leadership role within it.

Thank you!

OP, you're such a positive person. Never change.

Reactions: 1 users