Undergraduate Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daolso

MD/PhD Neurology Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just had a question regarding summer research programs. I am currently pursuing dual degrees in Biomedical Engineering and Neuroscience, and will be applying to MD/PhD programs this year. I have significant research experience at Ohio State (my current institution), but would like to experience working at a different university.

I was today accepted to the Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine Summer Scholars program. The problem is they have asked for a decision by Monday. The only other reply I have gotten was not being accepted to the Hopkins Nanobiotechnology REU (not unexpectedly).

The program is a leader in regenerative medicine (being the first to successfully transplant functional tissue engineered organs is pretty cool), and would be a great experience, but I haven't gotten a number of replies, including some from higher ranked schools. On the other hand, I don't have a stellar GPA, and there are only a few programs I would rank higher, so this might be my best opportunity. It's also the most clinical/translational of the ones I applied to, which would be good for my resume.

So, does SDN have any recommendations? Would it be bad form to ask for an extension or email other programs about the status of my applications? I am going to apply to Wake Forest for med/grad school, but definitely other schools as well; would the Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine look good enough on an application? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, just had a question regarding summer research programs. I am currently pursuing dual degrees in Biomedical Engineering and Neuroscience, and will be applying to MD/PhD programs this year. I have significant research experience at Ohio State (my current institution), but would like to experience working at a different university.

I was today accepted to the Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine Summer Scholars program. The problem is they have asked for a decision by Monday. The only other reply I have gotten was not being accepted to the Hopkins Nanobiotechnology REU (not unexpectedly).

The program is a leader in regenerative medicine (being the first to successfully transplant functional tissue engineered organs is pretty cool), and would be a great experience, but I haven't gotten a number of replies, including some from higher ranked schools. On the other hand, I don't have a stellar GPA, and there are only a few programs I would rank higher, so this might be my best opportunity. It's also the most clinical/translational of the ones I applied to, which would be good for my resume.

So, does SDN have any recommendations? Would it be bad form to ask for an extension or email other programs about the status of my applications? I am going to apply to Wake Forest for med/grad school, but definitely other schools as well; would the Wake Forest Institute of Regenerative Medicine look good enough on an application? Thanks everyone!

do you want to go to the wake program this summer?

how many pending letters do you have? similar caliber schools?

Thanks for the reply!

At the time I had 7 replies to wait for, which was part of why I was so apprehensive to accept at the time.

I did end up asking for an extension, but also ended up taking the offer. It is a cool program, and I am excited to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply!

At the time I had 7 replies to wait for, which was part of why I was so apprehensive to accept at the time.

I did end up asking for an extension, but also ended up taking the offer. It is a cool program, and I am excited to go.

cool! congrats.

have fun :)

Where can I get a list of such programs?