Undergraduate major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eklope2000

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are students ever restricted from pursuing a PhD in a particular discipline because of their undergraduate preparation/major.

For example, I will start medical school this year (MD only) after being accepted to medical school after 3 years of undergraduate study. I am thinking about applying for MSTP as a current MD student, and am considering biomedical engineering but am concerned about my undergraduate preparation--basically 2 years of typical premedical coursework and a third year of biochemistry, and some medically-related biological science classes (microbiology, genetics, embryology).

Since I have no engineering coursework, and limited mathematics and physical sciences, would I still be able to pursue the BME training? Would I have to make up undergraduate coursework and, if so, would this be compatible with the MSTP schedule?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you would probably have to do some undergraduate coursework. I know that I have to take calc 1-3, diff eq, and stats. I would think most PhD programs have these sort of requirements (for math). as far as engineering courses go, you may be able to get away with just your undergrad science work...? Im really not sure but I would try contacting some schools via email. good luck

Trust me, it's not worth the time or effort. Persue a project in a BE lab if you're really interested in BE as a non-BE PhD student. Some schools won't allow this at all. Figure that you're going to add at least a year of coursework to a normal PhD if you are accepted.