Undergraduate Institutions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sags2riches

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Care to share where you went for Undergrad?

Do you feel your school is/did adequately prepare you for Dental School?

Is there anywhere you wish you went instead/regrets?

Was the school close to or far away from home and do you feel that had an effect on your growth as an individual?

Would you go somewhere you really did not want to go if it meant you had a better chance of getting into D-School? Benefits like: Access to resources, support system, family.

Members don't see this ad.

Care to share where you went for Undergrad?

Do you feel your school is/did adequately prepare you for Dental School?

Is there anywhere you wish you went instead/regrets?

Was the school close to or far away from home and do you feel that had an effect on your growth as an individual?

Would you go somewhere you really did not want to go if it meant you had a better chance of getting into D-School? Benefits like: Access to resources, support system, family.
It doesn't really matter where you go to undergraduate school (provided it's not a community college). Go where you'd have most fun. If you have a lot of friends already going to an undergraduate close to your home, that may be a good bet. However, if you want to "start a new life" so to speak, and make all new friends and start from new - you may want to go a little further away from your home.

Also keep your options open, and continue to look into other careers, you may discover there is something you may enjoy doing more.

Keep cost in mind too. In-state state schools will be cheaper than out of state schools and private schools. If your parents aren't going to pay for it, it's probably best to go to an in-state state school.

Reactions: 2 users
I left home for undergrad, but I was offered a scholarship, which was the only reason I left the state.
I had gotten into some "big name schools", so- called Ivies of the South, but I did not qualify for any aid at those institutions. I remember telling my father that I was not going to make him fork over 30k a year in tuition for a Bachelors, especially when I knew I was going to apply to dental school.
I have a huge amount of gratitude towards my undergraduate institution for its generosity towards me, being from a completely different part of the country; and for never hassling me about credits, etc. There was also a huge pre-med/pre-dental/pre-health crew at my undergrad, so I was never alone in the struggle.
I almost stayed for dental school at that same institution, but my mother wanted me home...lol
Anyways, I have no regrets turning down the expensive bachelor programs, and it certainly did not affect any of my dental school acceptances.
Work hard and keep that gpa up wherever you go. It will serve you very well.
Oh, and HAIL TO PITT!! :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to the school that paid for my undergrad. I came out with $0 in
I left home for undergrad, but I was offered a scholarship, which was the only reason I left the state.
I had gotten into some "big name schools", so- called Ivies of the South, but I did not qualify for any aid at those institutions. I remember telling my father that I was not going to make him fork over 30k a year in tuition for a Bachelors, especially when I knew I was going to apply to dental school.
I have a huge amount of gratitude towards my undergraduate institution for its generosity towards me, being from a completely different part of the country; and for never hassling me about credits, etc. There was also a huge pre-med/pre-dental/pre-health crew at my undergrad, so I was never alone in the struggle.
I almost stayed for dental school at that same institution, but my mother wanted me home...lol
Anyways, I have no regrets turning down the expensive bachelor programs, and it certainly did not affect any of my dental school acceptances.
Work hard and keep that gpa up wherever you go. It will serve you very well.
Oh, and HAIL TO PITT!! :p
off topic but your username reminds of the time I signed up for an online dating service
michael-scott-online-dating-little-kid-lover.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

off topic but your username reminds of the time I signed up for an online dating service
Hilarious! I'm probably on the overly enthusiastic side, but I did make this username during residency application season, when I forgot the password to my old sdn account.
But I'm glad this one is memorable :laugh:

I went to UGA and feel that I am as adequately prepared for dental school as anyone can safely assume themselves to be. From UGA alums that are currently in dental school, I've heard that the didactic courses are generally similar in difficulty to undergrad upper level science courses, though the courseload is immense--something that I don't think any undergrad institution would match. I believe d-school requires adjustment no matter where you're coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That segment cracks me up every single time no matter how many times I see it.