Undergraduate/ Bachelor GPA for residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newideas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was recently accepted to a pharmacy school for Fall 2012. Currently, I am a senior and will be getting my Bachelor degree in this May 2012. Honestly, I am very unmotivated to do really well in this semester since I am accepted already. Also, almost all the classes that I am taking this semester are not pre-requisites for pharmacy school. So, I'll probably get all B's and C's in this semester, and my undergraduate GPA will decrease. My question is that will my low undergraduate GPA due to not so stellar grades this semester come to haunt me in the future? Meaning, after I get my PharmD, I am planning on doing resideny or fellowships, will they look at my Bachelor GPA or just the PharmD GPA?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Undergraduate performance never came up once during my residency interviews. The fact that I received my degree from a great public university probably helped though. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I checked out mentally that last semester of college too.

Hi,

I was recently accepted to a pharmacy school for Fall 2012. Currently, I am a senior and will be getting my Bachelor degree in this May 2012. Honestly, I am very unmotivated to do really well in this semester since I am accepted already. Also, almost all the classes that I am taking this semester are not pre-requisites for pharmacy school. So, I'll probably get all B's and C's in this semester, and my undergraduate GPA will decrease. My question is that will my low undergraduate GPA due to not so stellar grades this semester come to haunt me in the future? Meaning, after I get my PharmD, I am planning on doing resideny or fellowships, will they look at my Bachelor GPA or just the PharmD GPA?

Thanks in advance

Some institutions will require your undergrad GPA, so I wouldn't slack off just yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Had 7 interviews and not once did I get asked about my undergraduate GPA or my scholastic achievements in undergrad.

I think I had a few programs ask for my undergrad transcripts as part of my application packet.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

For those who said that their undergraduate GPA/ transcripts were asked, did you have an undergraduate degree (Bachelor etc) or had just the pharmacy school pre-requisites done and no degree?

It depends on the school you're applying to. I have a bachelor's degree but quite a few of my classmates don't - they pretty much just did the pre-reqs and then got in

What exactly is an undergrad GPA if you are like me and got accepted in the early work of a Bachelors? I have a year and a half of pre-pharm and soon to be four years of pharm.

If you do undergrad and pharmacy school at the same institution, they may send both undergrad and pharmacy school transcripts to residencies. I don't know how closely programs will look at your undergrad grades, but it's something to keep in mind.