Undergrad vs. Optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlitetears

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergraduate student interested in pursuing optometry and was just wondering about the similarities and differences between undergrad and optometry school. How different are they?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an undergraduate student interested in pursuing optometry and was just wondering about the similarities and differences between undergrad and optometry school. How different are they?

Optometry school had less, what I consider to be, busy work. Less stupid papers to write, less homework to do, etc. There is, however, more studying to be done. More memorization. Tougher subject matter. More emphasis on tests. As for myself, I liked OD school better because it suited my style.

Optometry school had less, what I consider to be, busy work. Less stupid papers to write, less homework to do, etc. There is, however, more studying to be done. More memorization. Tougher subject matter. More emphasis on tests. As for myself, I liked OD school better because it suited my style.

I would largely agree with that.

I however did not find the subject matter "harder." From a conceptual standpoint, I found it much easier. I guess it was because I was actually INTERESTED in it. I actually WANTED to learn about the intricate details of ocular anatomy.

I was much less interested in electron movement in the SN2 reaction or how many Newtons it takes to push a 50kg block up a 45 degree hill.

The volume of material is probably the biggest difference. You really had to stay on top of it. It was very very rare that the "cram the night before the test" method would work in optometry school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed about the volume. The material itself isn't harder there is a just a TON of it. Even for a 4 credit hour class, there was a lot of material crammed into it. Way more than my undergrad. That was the biggest shock to my system starting school. Not as much homework or busy work, just a lot of studying.

The difference is that Undergrad won't get you to a dead end profession

The difference is that Undergrad won't get you to a dead end profession

If its a dead end profession, then why are there currently more applicants than seats, in virtually every school?

many people don't even know what an optometrist is.

"good advertising" was a response to "If its a dead end profession, then why are there currently more applicants than seats, in virtually every school?"

as in...the sales pitch to undergrad students to apply to opto school is very good. -_- *sigh* that'll be the last time i attempt humor a forum. :rolleyes:

"good advertising" was a response to "If its a dead end profession, then why are there currently more applicants than seats, in virtually every school?"

as in...the sales pitch to undergrad students to apply to opto school is very good. -_- *sigh* that'll be the last time i attempt humor a forum. :rolleyes:

I never got a sales pitch as an undergrad.