Undergrad Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raDiOnut

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was just wondering who did undergrad research as part of their pre-DO program, and what they researched and I had some other research related questions. I've been involved in several undergrad research projects, but I'm not sure how much of a help they'll be w/ med school. Here's what I did...

1) conference presentation/publication at Purdue-Calumet on Women in Twelfth Night by Shakespeare(at a fairly small undergrad conference).

2) "Stress Reactions in Witnesses of Fatal Construction Accidents" project. I did a presentation at another undergrad conference; I also collected lots of data for this project, analyzed it, helped design it. This is ongoing w/ the Dept of Psychology

3) Study of Populations of Salamanders in Michigan...ongoing...I'm part of a 4 person team at the Univ. This is w/ the Dept of Biology.

4) This is my BIG QUESTION for everybody... As part of my undergrad, my school says I have to conduct a 2mth research project SUMMER 2004 in a foreign country. I'm a bio major, and I've lined up a project on Tuatara Lizards in New Zealand.

Should I look for some project more medically related than lizards? I wanted the project to help w/ my apps to DO school, so I was just wondering what would....

And would my previous (diverse) research be any help, or should I be looking for medically related research as a pre-DO?

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any input!!!!! (btw, yes, I am enjoying all my weird research projects)

raDiONut :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Your research plans sound intriguing and will definitely make for good interview fodder. Research of any kind will develop your abilities in experimental design, data management and analysis, and critical thinking. You don't HAVE to conduct biomedical research to develop these qualities.

My undergrad honors thesis was on the psychophysiology of human jealousy. Diversity in research is great, as long as you can explain its practical relevance. More importantly, you're interested in what you're doing! Don't change your research interests in favor of some admissions committee-- your diverse research interests may actually set you apart from the rest of the appicants!

As long as the rest of your application is solid -- GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars -- then you will be a strong applicant.

Good luck!

PH