Undergrad Research..suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tissy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad student here and came across an interesting article about holistic dentistry. Had some thoughts and questions that crossed my mind so I e-mailed a professor who is going to supervise me on my special study..i guess we can call it research. I've never done research before and really don't know what to expect. My question for ya is where do I begin? What I've done so far is contacted people who are actually in the field and going to talk with them about some ideas on how to address my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you actually comitted to doing research with a particular prof, and do you have the area of research set? If so, I think a reasonable first step is to read everything you can on the topic. Ask your PI for a reading list. And ask your PI what you can do to start! Enthusiasm is always good, and it never hurts to make sure you and your PI are on the same page about what you should do.

I agree, when I was an undergrad and did research I asked my PI what would help me understand my subject better. He happily provided me with a ton of articles and even some text book reading. We arranged to meet once a week for a few hours to go over my reading, so that I could ask questions and make sure I understood everything. Developing a good relationship with your PI, in my opinion, is essential for being successful in research... especially when you're beginning