Undergrad Research - is this an OK e-mail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luelinks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a junior I only have one full year remaining when the fall begins. I've thought about research before, but never had success with e-mails sent out to my college department's labs.

A couple days ago I presented to my 4000 level class research being conducted now and in the future on a neuromuscular disease. After the presentation/class was over I went in the building's lobby to use my laptop.

10 minutes later the professor (who is well known, runs his own lab), came up to me and expressed how surprised at how much microbiology/molecular bio components I knew and was able to convey to the class with ease. He asked if I was in labs, and recommended associate professors to e-mail who run labs.

(sorry this is a lot of text)

So there's one person in particular who I would prefer to e-mail, and would this be an appropriate way to compose it:

-Intro, about me
-Mention my presentation in the 4000lvl class and how teacher came up to me and said I should look into labs...
-Say I am a phenomenal worker, and to continue this I would love to have a meeting with you.
-Resume on request
-Contact info...

Would that be appropriate to e-mail?
Any other recommendations or any tips?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how I would do it:

- intro
- talk about your interest in neuromuscular dz, mention the presentation you did and that Dr. so-and-so recommend you check out this prof's lab
- talk about how you've looked at this prof's work and are interested in it. poke around the lab website and figure out what they're about. don't make this section too long, just show that you have a little background knowledge about what the goal of this lab is.
- don't call yourself a phenomenal worker, but do mention you are willing to work, what you'd like to learn from the experience (how to run experiments, how to write, etc.)
- go ahead and attach a resume. it won't hurt you.

Here's how I would do it:

- intro
- talk about your interest in neuromuscular dz, mention the presentation you did and that Dr. so-and-so recommend you check out this prof's lab
- talk about how you've looked at this prof's work and are interested in it. poke around the lab website and figure out what they're about. don't make this section too long, just show that you have a little background knowledge about what the goal of this lab is.
- don't call yourself a phenomenal worker, but do mention you are willing to work, what you'd like to learn from the experience (how to run experiments, how to write, etc.)
- go ahead and attach a resume. it won't hurt you.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it!