Undergrad GPA 3.3/3.12 MCAT 32O Grad GPA 3.97 (disadvantaged)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ratmd

RatMD
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Stats:

Undergraduate Degree's B.S. in Biology & Psychology
Currently working on M.S. in Biology

Undergraduate GPA - 3.3 Cum 3.12 Science
Master's GPA 3.96

MCAT - 32O

I spent 6 years as an undergraduate as I started early at age 16 and needed more time to mature and resolve my career goals through my time in community college and University.

I am applying as a disadvantaged student. I have over a years worth of volunteer experience at a Veterans Hospital. I have over a year of research experience in drug addiction and am currently working on getting a paper published. I have acted as a teaching assistant for human physiology and genetics. I will continue my Master's into next year. I've had the chance to take several light medical school electives at my Uni through the Master's program.

My undergrad GPA is low (I was finding myself and didn't care at first and there was one time a professor lost my exam resulting in a failing Calculus grade) and I'm wondering if or how I should acknowledge this in the application. My weakest point is my undergraduate GPA. Talking to a premed counselor she immediately started talking about DO schools, podiatry, and other options. I would rather go for an MD due to my research experience and desire to work on a thesis while obtaining my MD.

I'm applying to all of the University of California Schools and several others with integrated research options.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!
Good luck everyone!
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

you are going to have a big huge problem with that gpa. grad gpas usually hold very little weight because they are often inflated. yes it helps the MS is in a science, but you have a horrible GPA to overcome. premed counselors are usually full of crap, however she is right. you aren't competitive for MD schools. you are competitive for DO schools though.

MD is highly unlikely, but you don't need to quit on research for going Osteopathic. Apply to the Osteopathic programs with strong research ties: OSU-COM, MSU-COM, NYCOM, NSUCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, KCUMB and even the Midwestern campuses to a lesser extent. If MD is the only option you're willing to entertain, you need to get an SMP before applying. California is definitely not going to happen, so don't waste your money there.

Your MS is meaningless since graduate programs have the stigma of being inflationary. The only way to prove yourself is with an SMP or 2 years of heavy post-bacc work.