Under-grad semester schedules.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packofneurons

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently going into my Sophmore year of under-grad college. I switched from wanting to do nursing to wanting to do pre-med. (I'm VERY happy with the choice so far!)

My current goal is to take the MCAT by Spring '10. The thing is, I've only taken Chemistry 1, Anatomy, Physiology and Microbiology. I do plan to take summer courses, but I was wondering if you think it's a realistic goal?

How many of you have taken 3 sciences or more in one semester? Was it manageable?
Also - I understand the MCAT is on Physics, Organic Chemistry, Chemistry and Biology. Did you non-trads decide to take Biochemistry before or after you took the MCAT? How about Calculus?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what seems realistic as I'd like to come through with the best GPA I can manage.
Are any of you in the same spot?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I never had a semester when I didn't take more then 3 sciences! :p

What is your major? Are you going to school full-time? What is considered a full load at your institution? What is your major?

Biochem is not necessary for the MCAT, although having taken it wouldn't hurt on the bio section.

I'm actually at a community college at the moment. I'll be transferring next semester to an actual University :( - but my major will be Human Biology or just pre-med itself.

I am going to school fulltime - I'm taking 17 credits right now. (2 math, 1 science with a few other classes) It's manageable so far, but I just started last week, so we'll see.

Don't feel bad about going to a Community College. I have found that my teachers were much more excited about the classes and the amount I learned was much greater at a CC than at a University, for your lower level courses anyhow. Many 100/200 level courses at the University are MASSIVE and the teachers are a crapshoot. Not true for all University professors but many of the 100/200 level professors I have had at a University barely speak english. *sigh*