UNC vs. USC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd36622

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applying to both UNC and USC (Southern California) this cycle and I was wondering what the pros and cons were for both schools!

I've currently received admission at USC but I've heard some things about the school that's keeping me from committing... I've read a lot about how awful the frats are at USC and how the level of education doesn't live up to the name and how it's very difficult to find a job or match for residency after graduation. From many things I've read on sdn, it sounded like many students go to usc simply for the name brand. It's always been my dream school because I grew up in California, but now I'm scared to commit. :( I went to college in North Carolina and I've always been interested in UNC, but I honestly haven't heard much about the school other than the ranking. I was just wondering what the pros and cons were from anyone who has experience with either of the schools!

I'd appreciate any information to make this decision easier!

Members don't see this ad.

Both good schools, but look at the price tag. I'd always choose UNC over USC, especially if prices were the same or if UNC is cheaper. It's got to be cheaper to live in NC than Southern California. USC is outrageously expensive; you will essentially be in debtor's prison if you go there.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your post! I guess other than the financial aspect, I'm looking more for what each school has to offer, like the program, location, internship opportunities, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am applying to both UNC and USC (Southern California) this cycle and I was wondering what the pros and cons were for both schools!

I've currently received admission at USC but I've heard some things about the school that's keeping me from committing... I've read a lot about how awful the frats are at USC and how the level of education doesn't live up to the name and how it's very difficult to find a job or match for residency after graduation. From many things I've read on sdn, it sounded like many students go to usc simply for the name brand. It's always been my dream school because I grew up in California, but now I'm scared to commit. :( I went to college in North Carolina and I've always been interested in UNC, but I honestly haven't heard much about the school other than the ranking. I was just wondering what the pros and cons were from anyone who has experience with either of the schools!

Congrats on USC! May I ask what your stats were?

OP, I would really take the below advice if I were in your position again. USC has an OOS cost of $50,830 and UNC has an OOS cost of $21,825.27. These numbers are for tuition only, and do not reflect costs of living or other expenditures, which will likely be higher in SoCal. You are looking at a difference of ~$30k spread over four years to make a grand difference of ~$120k+.

If you go to an accredited pharmacy school and pass, you will become a pharmacist and earn the same salary as other pharmacists. If you are looking for residency, then you will need to work a bit harder and maintain competitive grades/extracurriculars. However, neither school will limit your chances and will offer you the basic resources that an accredited pharmacy school must provide its students. Other differences are likely minor or for convenience. Now ask yourself, would you spend $120,000+ out of your pocket for only minor, "cosmetic" differences?

Keep in mind that the average retail pharmacist makes around $110k-$115k average nowadays. Average clinical pharmacist is around $100k give or take. Take away a few thousand dollars of taxes and your take home salary is likely around $70k-$85k a year. Now keep in mind the increasing number of pharmacists who are having difficulty finding jobs and are facing decreased hours/wages. You will be paying off the additional loans for a good chunk of years if you select USC.

Yes, the idea of pharmacy school may seem like an adventure to a pre-pharm, but for all of you who are juggling multiple acceptances, please be wise with your decisions and think of your future.

Both good schools, but look at the price tag. I'd always choose UNC over USC, especially if prices were the same or if UNC is cheaper. It's got to be cheaper to live in NC than Southern California. USC is outrageously expensive; you will essentially be in debtor's prison if you go there.

Reactions: 2 users

are you talking about USC pharm frats being awful? lol.. nobody is twisting your arm to join them. If you don't try to pledge, I am pretty sure you won't see any type of hazing. Not sure if there is any type of hazing, but if you don't try to pledge, I think you are safe.

As far matching for a residency, 58 students from USC matched in 2013. https://pharmacyschool.usc.edu/programs/pharmd/pharmdprogram/graduation-and-post-graduation-data/

This is almost 1/3 of the class. Residency spots are ultra competitive these days bc the retail jobs are drying up.

I think if you want to work and live in socal for at least next 4 yrs, it makes sense to consider USC. They have great network of grads in CA that will help you match for a residency or land a job. Also USC has a good reputation, historically speaking.

I am curious what are the negative things that you heard about USC?

I've read most of the negative things about USC on this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/usc-pharmacy-school-–-the-truth-no-one-will-tell-you-about.1052814/
I don't personally know anyone who attends USC's pharmacy school, so forums have been my only way of getting to know the school (other than the website). Is it really difficult to get a residency or a job at another state than where you went to pharmacy school?

I can't speak about residencies. However, lot of my classmates and myself included got our jobs by doing well on our rotations and also from the chains where we worked at as interns. You take away some of those opportunities when you go out of state. To answer your question if it's really difficult, I would say it's definitively harder but not impossible.

UNC has a terrific pharmacy school and I personally would rather live in the Raleigh-Durham area (which I do) than SoCal.

Reactions: 1 user
USC will set you back about $400,000 if you pay the tuition and suggested cost of living costs on their website. I don't think anyone should take out more than 250k for pharmacy school. Therefore I would run like the dickens from USC.