UNC-please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jackie1.

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding if it is worthwhle to go on my interview to UNC. My other programs I am considering include BIDMC, UMich, and Mayo. Please give your opinion of UNC as a place to get a good opportunity to fellowships vs other top programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll give you what I can, having also gone to Michigan and Mayo, BID next month.

I really liked UNC--a very solid program. I would put it on par with Michigan, though not quite as intense, and maybe not quite as reputable but close. And Mayo is so unique, I can't even make a comparision. I would say UNC is a lower top-tier program. The PD seemed like a great guy--more low key in his approach than the Michigan PD's were. UNC took more of a "what you see is what you get" approach to the interview day, they were not flashy--they just want applicants to get the facts, get a feel for the program and see if it meets their needs. The interview day was in no way a "sales pitch." Fellowship matches are pretty good, about 1/2 stay at UNC, other matches were Clev Clinic cards, Duke Endocrine, UPenn Heme/Onc, Duke Nephro, among others, from the 2004 matching class. The residents I chatted with at UNC were very impressive, sharp as well as good people, which has been my impression at most places. I thought the morning report was much better at Michigan than it was at UNC, but that was only one day. As for me and mine, I would prefer Chapel Hill over Ann Arbor, mostly for the benefit of my family. I thought the town was beautiful, and that was in December! Thus, most things being the same, I may rank UNC over Michigan for that reason. Both will certainly be near the top of my rank list, I feel all of my needs would be met very well at either program. If you have the $$ and time, I would suggest interviewing there. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific Q's.

maybe you shouldn't have had applied there in the first place? :confused: I'll answer by saying that UNC is not significantly better than the other places you are considering so you aren't missing out on anything by not going. at the same time it is a fine program with good opportunities to pursue a fellowship so you may want to check it out.

Jackie1. said:
I need help deciding if it is worthwhle to go on my interview to UNC. My other programs I am considering include BIDMC, UMich, and Mayo. Please give your opinion of UNC as a place to get a good opportunity to fellowships vs other top programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
cubby said:
I'll give you what I can, having also gone to Michigan and Mayo, BID next month.

I really liked UNC--a very solid program. I would put it on par with Michigan, though not quite as intense, and maybe not quite as reputable but close. And Mayo is so unique, I can't even make a comparision. I would say UNC is a lower top-tier program. The PD seemed like a great guy--more low key in his approach than the Michigan PD's were. UNC took more of a "what you see is what you get" approach to the interview day, they were not flashy--they just want applicants to get the facts, get a feel for the program and see if it meets their needs. The interview day was in no way a "sales pitch." Fellowship matches are pretty good, about 1/2 stay at UNC, other matches were Clev Clinic cards, Duke Endocrine, UPenn Heme/Onc, Duke Nephro, among others, from the 2004 matching class. The residents I chatted with at UNC were very impressive, sharp as well as good people, which has been my impression at most places. I thought the morning report was much better at Michigan than it was at UNC, but that was only one day. As for me and mine, I would prefer Chapel Hill over Ann Arbor, mostly for the benefit of my family. I thought the town was beautiful, and that was in December! Thus, most things being the same, I may rank UNC over Michigan for that reason. Both will certainly be near the top of my rank list, I feel all of my needs would be met very well at either program. If you have the $$ and time, I would suggest interviewing there. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific Q's.

Yeah, cubby, I did like UNC, however, the PD was not even there the day I went, he had a "program director meeting" supposedly. However, the residents were awesome and I do think its less "intense" (I won't dare say the word malignant or i'll stir up a huge riot) than Michigan. They did have a non-impressive day overall with only 1 interviewer, but they do play that what you see is what you get approach which is acceptable. However, I just can't get over the fact that Michigan is better reputation-wise, and thus better for chances of obtaining a top notch fellowship. Any other thoughts on comparing these two programs, or ANYONE?

Jackie1. said:
Yeah, cubby, I did like UNC, however, the PD was not even there the day I went, he had a "program director meeting" supposedly. However, the residents were awesome and I do think its less "intense" (I won't dare say the word malignant or i'll stir up a huge riot) than Michigan. They did have a non-impressive day overall with only 1 interviewer, but they do play that what you see is what you get approach which is acceptable. However, I just can't get over the fact that Michigan is better reputation-wise, and thus better for chances of obtaining a top notch fellowship. Any other thoughts on comparing these two programs, or ANYONE?

So if reputation is a very big deal to you, then I'd agree, Michigan is slightly better than UNC. However, I think if you put in a solid effort, meet the right people, and display a good attitude during your time at either program, you won't have trouble finding a strong fellowship out of either. Will you have a slightly easier time landing a top fellowship out of Michigan? Perhaps, but not by much. I think if you feel satisfied about the training/opportunities you'll get at both of these programs, think of where you want to live...cold winters and the Michigan Wolverines of Ann Arbor or humid summers but nice winters and the Tar Heels of Chapel Hill.