UNC (OOS w/ scholarship) vs. UMSOD - Maryland (IS w/ scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babypearls7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in specializing in pedo. I will be applying for the NHSC scholarship, but it is highly competitive. I'd also like to buy a practice as soon as possible, after a couple years of associateship. Thanks for your advice!

School 1: University of Maryland School of Dentistry (In-State + Scholarship)

Pros:

• Strong network: Know some dental students & dentists in the area, including one who is faculty at a nearby peds dental residency program
  • Strong support system: Friends, family, & partner live nearby
  • Respected dental program
  • ~$15k cheaper tuition than UNC (in-state plus recruitment scholarship) but higher cost of living
  • Love Baltimore city and the community
Cons:
  • Went to Maryland for undergrad, would like to try a different area
  • Graded
  • Larger class size of 132
School 2: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (Out-of-State + Scholarship)

Pros:
  • P/F
  • Highly supportive faculty and students
  • Big name in dentistry, i.e. #2 in Shanghai World Rankings
  • Great peds/public health department
  • Lots of community service involvement, including student-run dental clinics
  • Small class size of 82
Cons:
  • Location: 5-6 hours away from family, friends, & partner, less bustling than Baltimore
  • P/F with no ranking: Is it harder to match into a top peds program?
  • ~$15k more tuition than UMSOD (in-state after D1 plus recruitment scholarship) but lower cost of living
  • First cohort to experience the new ACT curriculum for all 4 years -- might experience a lot of trial and error
Summary:
I want to specialize in pedo and am looking for the best school that will set me up for long-term success. I easily feel at home at UMSOD, but UNC really wowed me during the admissions process. The cost is about the same between both schools after factoring cost of living.

I would also appreciate opinions that include P/F vs. graded when thinking about residency. However, I know that I'll be able to specialize no matter where I go as long as I work hard. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Maryland - tuition and nearby support system / comfort level seems like a no-brainer. Comparably good schools and both will feel like a grind once you’re in there.
i actually feel UNC is the no brainer here. if you're set on peds and really want to boost your chances of getting into a residency, then choose the school that will make that path easy for you (P/F and unranked!). to me, $40k difference is so worth it for the peace of mind of P/F, unranked, residency placement. personally, yes UNC might be a bit farther from your family/support system, but i'd want to get out of my comfort zone and what not

Thanks everyone for your advice, very thoughtful. I just received a scholarship to UNC, so the cost is comparable now.

Last edited: