UNC Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sidalexis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone attending UNC in the fall? I'm looking for some future classmates :)

Members don't see this ad.

Me!!! I'm a student at Hampton University and I am going to UNC in the fall. I'm from Hampton, what about you?

go tar heels! :)

Hey I'm torn between UNC and Duke right now. Are either of you out of state? What other schools did you get into? How'd you choose Carolina?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me!!! I'm a student at Hampton University and I am going to UNC in the fall. I'm from Hampton, what about you?

go tar heels! :)

I went to UNC undergrad but I'm at Howard now.

Hey I'm torn between UNC and Duke right now. Are either of you out of state? What other schools did you get into? How'd you choose Carolina?

Congrats on having such an awesome decision!!

I'm trying to decide between UNC and VCU. I just wanted to see if there were any other URM's going to UNC on SDN. Did you guys go to second look? Have you been in touch with the special programs office? How do you feel about the support at UNC? Good to meet you!

Well...actually I only got into UNC. But I only applied to 6 schools, mostly in-state. Carolina had always been my first choice without a doubt.

If you have the luxury of making a decision....I am in-state, so of course the affordable tuition at UNC is a big plus for me. If I had to choose between UNC in other school's, things that I view as pros at UNC are their special programs office, classes ending at 12, pass-fail, and the open, friendly, non-competitive environment. The environment is what really sold me at Carolina. For the person deciding between Chapel HIll and Duke, I would look at Duke's retention rate and attitude toward minorities. Even before the lacrosse fiasco, Duke's reputation has been shaky towards minorities, but I have met happy graduate students there.

I have been in touch with the special programs office-I actually contacted them in August, they set up a tour of the medical school for me, I met a recruitor, and I met students. It was very nice of them and I felt as if I already had a support group at UNC before even being accepted. Now, I feel that when coming to UNC I will already have a family of people to talk to, because I kept in contact with my recruiter as well as a few second years.

I didn't go to second look but my friend told me I didn't miss much and they were still trying to sell the school to people, as opposed of a welcome to chapel hill and here's what you do now.

Let me know of y'alls decision and I hope to see you in the fall...

I went to UNC too!

Just graduated in '08.

Re: the special programs office (office of education and development)...It is incredible. I did the MED program last summer, and they always had our best interest in mind. I definitely got the impression from my summer and all of my experiences that they would lay down life and limb to see me succeed. They're great

From your interview, do you think the rest of the administration is as amenable to looking out for the student as the Office of special programs is?

I'm sure it is, but my experience with UNC undergrad administration has, at times, left me feeling less like a person more like a number (small fish in a huge pond).

It's funny...I got the feeling that the administration on a whole would look out for you, but I didn't really get to interact with the office of special programs. Either way...UNC seems to be the cheapest choice...by far so maybe I'll see you both there :)

I'm trying to decide between UNC and VCU. I just wanted to see if there were any other URM's going to UNC on SDN. Did you guys go to second look? Have you been in touch with the special programs office? How do you feel about the support at UNC? Good to meet you!

I am not an URM, just stumbled on the thread. But, I went to UNC undergrad and graduated in 07. I actually did a post-bacc program at VCU in the Fall. Once I got into UNC, I withdrew from classes there since I was paying out of state tuition. If you want to know anything about Richmond or the facilities at VCU, shoot me a PM. It's a really great place.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!