UNC and Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roldgold

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there interviewed at either of these programs? I have interviews scheduled at both places in the upcoming weeks. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at UNC. It is my top choice, esp. after the interview. Excellent program, great comraderie amongst the housestaff, and the teaching is outstanding. The area is another plus. 40-45% of all applicants to IM programs in the US apply to UNC. That should say something. Residents there are from all over (Harvard, Hopkins, UVA, etc.) They place very well for all fellowships.

i interviewed at vanderbilt (for med-peds) and it's my first choice as of now. (haven't gone to unc yet). i liked the residents - all very friendly, good morning reports and weekly conferences. you go to the VA and the university hospital so see different systems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey rogeraj, thanks for the reply. What exactly do you mean by "the area is another plus?" Are you talking about affordability, social life, or something else?

The UNC area is accessible to the mountains (3 hours west) and the coast (2-3 hours east). Climate year round is mild, don't usually get the extremes of winter and summer. Chapel Hill is somewhat expensive to live, but Carrboro and Durham, which are down the street, are very affordable.

i went to vanderbilt and that place is amazing in how much money it has. the VA and Vanderbilt hospital are all on the same campus which is very convenient. the hospitals are very up to date and all the buildings are very nice, as is the entire campus. the residents work very hard, as hard as you will find almost anywhere. most of them are pleased with the program and they feel like they get good teaching. some of the interns seem a bit spent, but some of the new reg's should ameliorate that some. I think its a great place to go, im not sure how high i'll rank it however.

as for unc, i dont know, but i did interview at duke (for another specialty, ahem) and i thought the durham area sucked bad. i know that chapel hill is 0k, but would i want to go to chapel hill to hang out with undergraduates? Maybe its more diverse, somebody please let me know. I want to go someplace fun tho

one more thing. the residency director? at vandy (shoot, i can't remember exactly what he was, i feel stupid--not the chairman) was the neatest person i have met anywhere. just a genuinely nice guy who looks out for the residents. would be a great person to work with.