Unbalanced MCAT, low CARS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lulugirl822

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying to MD and DO schools this cycle and am trying to decide if I should retake the MCAT. Here are my stats:

cGPA: 3.94 sGPA: 3.99
MCAT: 506 (C/P: 128, CARS: 123, B/B: 126, P/S: 129)

I have worked for two years in the OR and ICU at a big city hospital so I have gained tons of hands on critical care experience. I also just accepted a job as a clinical research associate. I have gone on two medical mission trips and have consistently volunteered.

I am really just concerned about my MCAT score, particularly CARS. I scored higher than I thought I would in chem/phys and in psych and am worried if I retake it I wont score as high in these sections. However, I have never scored this low in CARS, not even on the very first practice test that I took. The thought of retaking the MCAT doesn't sound ideal either. I live in Minnesota but grew up and went to college in Michigan. I am planning on applying to all of the med schools in MI (Besides U of Mich). I am also going to apply to DO schools, although I would prefer to go MD if given the choice, but again I'm not picky. Any advice about MCAT? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools will average your two composites. Assuming you could raise your CARS score to a 126-127 while not decreasing the other sections, you will basically be re-taking for a 508-509. However, this would make you competitive for all low-tier MD schools, especially with your GPA.

On the other hand, if you take a lot more time to study and are consistently scoring 129 in each section, you are re-taking for a 516 which would be a huge improvement. Your averaged composite would be ~512 which would make you a great candidate for low-tier MD schools and competitive for mid-tier MD schools.

Tough decision. How did you study for the CARS section? Are you applying this cycle?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't study very much for CARS. I have been out of school for two years so I was really focusing on reviewing all of my sciences. On the day of the test, I think the nerves took over and my timing was horrible, so I was expecting a low CARS score but not that low. Do you have any study advice? I feel like I studied really hard for the MCAT but couldn't score above a 509 on my practice exams. I have always been pretty good at figuring out exams but I felt like I never figured this one out...

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the Michigan schools you have a chance for an interview with these schools:
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St.Louis
Creighton
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Eastern Virginia

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't study very much for CARS. I have been out of school for two years so I was really focusing on reviewing all of my sciences. On the day of the test, I think the nerves took over and my timing was horrible, so I was expecting a low CARS score but not that low. Do you have any study advice? I feel like I studied really hard for the MCAT but couldn't score above a 509 on my practice exams. I have always been pretty good at figuring out exams but I felt like I never figured this one out...

I scored a 515 (129/129/127/130) last May. I understand about the timing problem -- I wasted time on a passage on the Bio section and ended up doing to last 3 passages in 10 minutes, as reflected in my score.

Reviewing the sciences seems to have worked for you since your other three scores are great. The Bio section tends to be harder to get a high score in since most pre-meds are good at Bio which skews the curve. I think with a little more review you could also get this up to a 127-128.

For CARS I sat down and did a practice passage every morning. I wrote down 1-2 keywords to describe each paragraph which served two purposes: 1) to make sure I understood the main purpose/argument/idea of each paragraph and 2) to have as reference if I needed to return to the passage to answer a question. I spent twice as much time reviewing the correct answers as I spent actually completing the passage and used the Kaplan CARS book to understand the question types that can be asked. This section is actually really predictable once you understand how written arguments are structured and what questions may be asked of you. I gradually increased the amount of passages I did per sitting until I was completing whole sections (9 passages?).

Before you decide to re-take, I would use this method or whatever works for you and work on CARS for 2-3 weeks to see if you can significantly increase your score (127-129).

My highest practice test was also a 509 but my AAMC scored test was 515.

I scored a 515 (129/129/127/130) last May. I understand about the timing problem -- I wasted time on a passage on the Bio section and ended up doing to last 3 passages in 10 minutes, as reflected in my score.

Reviewing the sciences seems to have worked for you since your other three scores are great. The Bio section tends to be harder to get a high score in since most pre-meds are good at Bio which skews the curve. I think with a little more review you could also get this up to a 127-128.

For CARS I sat down and did a practice passage every morning. I wrote down 1-2 keywords to describe each paragraph which served two purposes: 1) to make sure I understood the main purpose/argument/idea of each paragraph and 2) to have as reference if I needed to return to the passage to answer a question. I spent twice as much time reviewing the correct answers as I spent actually completing the passage and used the Kaplan CARS book to understand the question types that can be asked. This section is actually really predictable once you understand how written arguments are structured and what questions may be asked of you. I gradually increased the amount of passages I did per sitting until I was completing whole sections (9 passages?).

Before you decide to re-take, I would use this method or whatever works for you and work on CARS for 2-3 weeks to see if you can significantly increase your score (127-129).

My highest practice test was also a 509 but my AAMC scored test was 515.

Also, I forgot to ask, is there a reason why you may have scored lower in CARS? -- Is English not your first language? Are you from a disadvantaged area and did not have access to quality education which may have resulted in poor reading skills from a young age? If this is the case, you don't have to retake and should explain these things in your secondary applications.

Unfortunately not, my dad and I joked about that though when I got my scores back (ADCOM's assuming that English must be my second language). I have always been a really slow reader, even as a kid, but grew up in an area that had adequate resources to help. I really just choked on that section. I think I am going to apply with the numbers I have and plan to take the MCAT again around the end of July so I have enough time to study and (hopefully) still send my scores in. Thanks for all of the help!

@Goro @LizzyM what are your thoughts on this? Also, what are your thoughts on not declaring 3 MME's?

I am not an URM, state of residence is Michigan

Lets start with the good: your GPA is fantastic, and your EC's are on point. I have a few concerns though:

medical mission trip

This isn't volun-tourism right? Make sure that this isn't one of 'those' trips.

particularly CARS

I do know that schools screen below a certain score cutoff. You should check MSAR to see what the 'low' end of the CARS spectrum is (e.g. 10th percentile). From what I've seen on MSAR, I don't see schools that have a CARS subsection score below 124 (10th percentile). I would strongly suggest retaking the MCAT. With your strong GPA, I'm sure you can do very well on a retake, and bump up that CARS score significantly.

Lets start with the good: your GPA is fantastic, and your EC's are on point. I have a few concerns though:

This isn't volun-tourism right? Make sure that this isn't one of 'those' trips.

I do know that schools screen below a certain score cutoff. You should check MSAR to see what the 'low' end of the CARS spectrum is (e.g. 10th percentile). From what I've seen on MSAR, I don't see schools that have a CARS subsection score below 124 (10th percentile). I would strongly suggest retaking the MCAT. With your strong GPA, I'm sure you can do very well on a retake, and bump up that CARS score significantly.
No, the first trip I was in undergrad and had to apply for it. It was through the Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine and they only accepted 20 undergrads to come. The other one was through International Children's Heart Foundation... basically taught the local physicians how to perform the surgery and provide post-op care... Lots of emphasis on teaching, not so much "mission work".

Will med schools judge my application poorly if I put that I am taking the MCAT in the future? I don't want them to wait to view my application for an MCAT score they may not receive until August or September. If I retake the MCAT I want to make sure I am going to do significantly better overall, in addition to just the CARS section.

Will med schools judge my application poorly if I put that I am taking the MCAT in the future? I don't want them to wait to view my application for an MCAT score they may not receive until August or September. If I retake the MCAT I want to make sure I am going to do significantly better overall, in addition to just the CARS section.

I'm not sure how they'll handle your two MCAT scores. Are you opposed to delaying a cycle? That way you wouldn't have to rush the retake in July and would be able to have substantial experience at your new job to talk about next cycle. You could also submit on the first day AMCAS opens next cycle with nothing pending like your score will be this year.

@Goro @LizzyM what are your thoughts on this? Also, what are your thoughts on not declaring 3 MME's?

I am not an URM, state of residence is Michigan
MME? Are those the medical missions? If so, don't mention them. They're not goign to help, and they can hurt.

I agree with the wise Faha. Add any DO school tot he list, except LUCOM and Touro-NY. Why? Do a search.