Unaccredited Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hipar1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is my first post and I'm not super familiar with the field of audiology so please excuse my ignorance with my questions. Im just starting out with exploring different career fields. Here are a few questions I wanted to ask:

1) I was looking at programs in CA and noticed that there's a new program in SF thats not currently accredited. So what happens if you graduate from that program and its still not accredited? Can you not practice ANYWHERE? It seems to be such a huge risk...

2) That program also seems pretty expensive. On the website it says it costs about 100k. Does that seem like a safe investment to you guys? Considering audiologists dont make that much, Im not sure about it.

If anyone knows anything about that program (applied there, attending there) please feel free to post your response and opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi !

So I think I may be able to offer some two sense. I graduated from Biola university with a B.S in Communication Disorders May 2015. Now I know that my senior year my school was going through the accreditation process. When a school is approved by ASHA they going through a trial period. My school will start their Msters- SLP program Fall 2016 and are on a "probation" period. Since UOP started last year I am guess they are in a similar situation. I do know my Department head and Professor informed us that although a program is not fully acredited during your time of admission you can still sit for your state licenses and receive your CCC. This is what jobs will look for, have you passed state licensure and lisenses by ASHA to practice in your state. The degree simply just tells ASHA you have met the requirements to take the exam for Lisensure.

As for your second question I do know that UOP is an accelerated program meaning it's three years vs your traditional four year AuD program. Now I'm not sure where they sit in terms of how much money the provide for assistance but 100K is a lot for any degree. However it is a private school. I would encourage you to apply if you have the time and money. I'm sure the faculty would love to answer any questions you might have. Apply and see if they give you funding. I have been looking into schools and cost of tuition is def
A HUGE factor for myself so weigh your options. There are ALOT or state schools out there. Let me know if you have anymore questions

- A young AuD hopeful.