Unaccredited Pharmacy Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kikiaj1029

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an interview offer for a new PGY-1 pharm residency program and it is unaccredited. I was wondering what is benefit of having 'accredited' program over 'unaccredited' program. Second question is that if the program gets accredited from ASHP AFTER i completed the program, am I eligible to apply for ASHP PGY-2 programs later (in other word, am I considered as a pharmacy resident from accredited program?). Please let me know....

Members don't see this ad.

I just received an interview offer for a new PGY-1 pharm residency program and it is unaccredited. I was wondering what is benefit of having 'accredited' program over 'unaccredited' program. Second question is that if the program gets accredited from ASHP AFTER i completed the program, am I eligible to apply for ASHP PGY-2 programs later (in other word, am I considered as a pharmacy resident from accredited program?). Please let me know....

If I opted for an unaccredited program, I would really think whether the program is right for me. I've seen horror stories about unaccredited programs on this forum. I also heard of people praising certain programs that are unaccredited. You really have to critically evaluate why the program is unaccredited. If it's because it's the program's first year, it might be OK if the program knows what it's doing. If it's because it's too specialized, might be OK for you if you want to enter that specialty. There are programs, however, that are unaccredited just because they cannot meet accreditation standards, and I would stay away from those. You also need to think about why the program is recruiting so late.

And I know nothing about whether retroactive accreditation is possible, but I wouldn't count on it even if it does exist, just in case the program doesn't get accredited.