UMSL Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AskMeUMSLOptometry

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a current second year at UMSL optometry. Due to our small class size (about 45 per class), my school hasn't had a strong presence on this site the last couple years so I want to try to change that and make sure any UMSL related questions can be answered on here! If you have any questions on UMSL optometry, I will do my very best to help you! Especially with COIVD throwing a wrench in some student's plans. I really enjoyed my first year of Optom school here! Good luck in the 20-21 cycle everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Regarding shadowing hours, do you think UMSL will be understanding if we don’t have as many as we would have wanted due to Covid-19? I have worked as an optometric assistant for about 2 years and volunteered 100 hours in optometry.

Hi! Regarding shadowing hours, do you think UMSL will be understanding if we don’t have as many as we would have wanted due to Covid-19? I have worked as an optometric assistant for about 2 years and volunteered 100 hours in optometry.

I think you are good with that amount of hours. They recommend AT LEAST 30 hours and you are beyond that. So- I think you are in a good place in regards to shadowing. As long as you can talk on your experiences in optometry that what the admissions committee seems to care about the most from the shadowing portion!

Hi! I am taking the OAT soon and applying for this application cycle and I was wondering what a safe score to aim for is based on my other stats. I have a 3.8 gpa, have hundreds of shadowing hours and optometric experience, around 100 volunteer hours as well as a few extracurriculars. My top choice of school is UMSL but I will be applying to others as well.

The average for the entering class of 2024 was right about a 320. So, as long as you are around that number you should be good given your GPA.