Umkc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was there today at that time too! The weather was terrible with the snow!!!! But I agree--the school is awesome!!! Great people, great program. Sucks about the 5 year program though, but overall great experience.

I went to the pre-interview party last night and interviewed this morning at 9:30. Overall, both went great. The pre interview party was definitely a good way to meet other students, as well as faculty. Everyone was extremely nice! I had never been to the pharmacy school before, and I was surprised at how nice it was! I go to Mizzou right now, and I think its safe to say that there isn't a building on campus (that I have been in) that is as nice as the Pharmacy School.

When I got to the interview, the first thing we did was wait in the cafe and fill out a survey. At 10 we went upstairs and had 30 minutes to write the essay. Right after the essay we all went to the floor we were interviewing on, and someone was waiting for us to take us to our interview room. The interview itself is pretty laid back. As long as you relax and think about the questions for a little bit before you answer them, you have nothing to worry about. All of the people on my interview panel were very nice, and seemed pretty interested in what I had to say.

Overall, the process is a lot less intimidating than I thought it would be. My advice-- go to the pre interview party, and just relax. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

The interview was more relaxed than I originally expected. It was a
nice interview and I definitely had a lot to say. The panel did seem truly interested in what I had to say. Overall, good experience. I was getting people excited seeing that I am a URM and there is not alot of us in this profession. Hopefully, I get in.

students who enter w/a science background/degree will have many of the pre-reqs completed for the first year (biochem, cell bio, microbio, etc); because graduating early isn't a option, this provides a great opportunity to pursue a joint MBA or PhD degree; UMKC has a prestigious school of business;

Isn't this like your second or third time applying to this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes; i applied once during undergrad without a degree and got waitlisted; was taken off the waitlist beginning of august but declined the offer because i had already paid for my undegrad tuition; decided that i might as well finish my undergrad degrees and reapply later =) this time i'm applying with 2 bachelors and much better gpa and pcat score;

You couldn't get your tuition refunded back to you? That just sounds kind of foolish to deny a spot in pharmacy school because you wanted to finish your undergraduate degree

clearly i didn't stay because i solely wanted to finish my undergraduate degrees; it was a very conscious decision to stay and finish with numerous other things that i had to take into consideration other than simply entering into a professional program because i got accepted; I have no regrets; you can look at it however you want but i weighed out all the factors and felt that i wasn't ready;
during the time i applied to only a handful of schools that didn't require a degree; umkc accepted me at the very last minute as school was starting; i looked at my financial stability and my academic maturity and felt that it would be best for me to remain; i was only 19 years old at the time with little pharmacy exposure and only 2 years of college experience; under the circumstance, i barely got accepted and so i questioned my preparation for pharmacy school; i was not going to go for a doctorate simply because a program decided to give me a pity spot for a subpar applicant just because they needed to fill seats;
i would suggest you not jumping to the conclusion about poor choices without taking into account all the things that could have influenced my decision (or anyone else's decision); there is without a doubt that my decision was far from foolish;

Wow! Someone getting defensive. Now, that is foolish!!!
If you were not ready for pharmacy school, it does not make sense to apply and then turn it down. Your responses sounds kinda shady. Sure, you MIGHT have a valid reason as to why you decided to turn down a PharmD for a undergraduate program. AND, you applied to the same program that decided to take "pity" on you 2 years ago? Calm down. It is not that serious.

Ahhhh! I did not mean to make you upset. I apologize. If both of us are accepted, I do not want to have an enemy in my class, so I will be the big person and apologize. Being in the military, we tell it how we see it. Sorry if too harsh for you. I see where you are coming from now. I hope that you have what UMKC is looking for and I hope that you make it in.

Hi TM,
Cool for being the bigger person and apologizing.
That sometimes happens on these forums that people get way too defensive.
I liked UMKC, but since I have the opportunity to stay home in STL and go to school I will take it. I'm sorry that I won't get a chance to meet you in the fall (listen to me--I sound like I know I got into UMKC LOL). I too am an URM, so it would've been nice to meet another URM female. Maybe we can keep in touch through this forum and share our experiences with pharmacy school. You seem like a really nice, down to earth person. I like people like that! :))
:p
Ahhhh! I did not mean to make you upset. I apologize. If both of us are accepted, I do not want to have an enemy in my class, so I will be the big person and apologize. Being in the military, we tell it how we see it. Sorry if too harsh for you. I see where you are coming from now. I hope that you have what UMKC is looking for and I hope that you make it in.

Dr. iz-n,

I am sorry that I will not have the chance to meet you as well. I am happy that you decided to stay closer to home due to your family. I am moving to KC only because of my family as well. I wish you the best of luck and I pray that you will be able to share this experience with your parents as they watch you grow in the program and see you walk across that stage to get your diploma. You go girl! Show them what being a URM is about!

One more full week until we find out!!! I wonder if they mail out big packets for acceptances or if they just mail envelopes? I want to know what to look for. I am getting so nervous and anxious.

We will find out next week! I live in Texas, so I am assuming that my letter should come in the middle of the week.

I can't wait for next week. It's just taking too long!!!!

You are telling me! My mother is getting more impatient than I am. She told me to try to call up there and find out. I had to inform her that we have to wait for USPS mail. Next week can not come fast enough.

You are telling me! My mother is getting more impatient than I am. She told me to try to call up there and find out. I had to inform her that we have to wait for USPS mail. Next week can not come fast enough.

The wait is killing me!!
TM- it was great to meet you at the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait for next week. It's just taking too long!!!!

I am so happy for you!!!! Explain about the letter and the envelope. Was it a big envelope? I am in Texas and impatiently waiting. Again, congrats! What campus did you apply to?

I got my letter yesterday in the mail. It is a regular envelop that is thick. I will not be attending, though, so there is an extra space for someone!!!

I am so happy for you!!!! Explain about the letter and the envelope. Was it a big envelope? I am in Texas and impatiently waiting. Again, congrats! What campus did you apply to?

I got my letter in the mail on Saturday. I won't be attending though (got into KU) so I guess that frees up a spot for those on the alternate list!

I got my letter in the mail on Saturday. I won't be attending though (got into KU) so I guess that frees up a spot for those on the alternate list!

Congrats on getting into KU. How far away are you from UMKC?

Did anyone else get letters? Those who did get theirs, where do you live? I'm in Columbia waiting patiently :)

I got mine today. I got accepted into the satellite program! I'm here in Columbia as well.

I am completely crushed after I received my letter. I am number 19 on the waitlist. I am pretty sure that my PCAT score and the fact that I still have a couple of classes to finish has something to do with it. Oh well. I hope that I can still get in.

I am completely crushed after I received my letter. I am number 19 on the waitlist. I am pretty sure that my PCAT score and the fact that I still have a couple of classes to finish has something to do with it. Oh well. I hope that I can still get in.

TM- I'm so sorry to hear that. However, I know many people aren't accepting their offers to UMKC, so keep that in mind! I'm thinking about you and really hope that you get off the waitlist because you really deserve this!!!

TM- I'm so sorry to hear that. However, I know many people aren't accepting their offers to UMKC, so keep that in mind! I'm thinking about you and really hope that you get off the waitlist because you really deserve this!!!

Thanks. I need encouragement right now. I see that you were accepted to 2 other schools. I am very happy for you. When you say many people are not accepting UMKC, approximately how many? I am just really trying to get my hopes up. We move to KC in less than 2 weeks, so I have to make sure that I change my address and phone number when I get up there just in case. Thanks Mizzourah!

Thanks. I need encouragement right now. I see that you were accepted to 2 other schools. I am very happy for you. When you say many people are not accepting UMKC, approximately how many? I am just really trying to get my hopes up. We move to KC in less than 2 weeks, so I have to make sure that I change my address and phone number when I get up there just in case. Thanks Mizzourah!
TM- I've counted at least 5 from other forums. However, I'm not sure what campus those were from. Anywho, I think I remember reading in forums from the past years that up to 25 people can get taken off the waitlist.:luck: Don't give up and even if you get taken off the waitlist at the last minute, at least you are already moving to KC so you will be ready to go!:)

TM- I've counted at least 5 from other forums. However, I'm not sure what campus those were from. Anywho, I think I remember reading in forums from the past years that up to 25 people can get taken off the waitlist.:luck: Don't give up and even if you get taken off the waitlist at the last minute, at least you are already moving to KC so you will be ready to go!:)

OK. So far I counted 2 that got accepted to KU and Dr Iz-n who is going to St Louis. I just hope the waitlist moves fast.

i will not be taking my acceptance.
-1 on the waitlist. good luck.

Hey guys, not to hijack or anything, but anyone know what's going on with Fall '11 admissions? Are they really not accepting anyone into the program at all?

Hey guys, not to hijack or anything, but anyone know what's going on with Fall '11 admissions? Are they really not accepting anyone into the program at all?
I know for a fact they aren't accepting anyone in KC or Columbia. However, they may be accepting at the new satellite campus in Springfield, MO (southwest missouri state university), but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

I know for a fact they aren't accepting anyone in KC or Columbia. However, they may be accepting at the new satellite campus in Springfield, MO (southwest missouri state university), but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
Wow, thanks for clearing that up. Too bad for us applying next year then!@

lol I am 30th on the waitlist. You have nothing to worry about! I got another letter coming in this week and an interview on Friday, so hopefully I don't have to wait longer than you to find out...:smuggrin:

lol I am 30th on the waitlist. You have nothing to worry about! I got another letter coming in this week and an interview on Friday, so hopefully I don't have to wait longer than you to find out...:smuggrin:

Yeah, I hope that the waitlist moves along quickly. Another month is going to kill me! I am moving to KC, so that should occupy me for a bit. But anyways, I hope you do well at your interview.

i'm excited to meet those of you going to UMKC!! I was accepted for the satellite program, however, i asked to go to the kansas city campus, not MU. i originally put on my application that i would like to go to either, but that i preferred the satellite program because i want to do nuke pharm. two days later, i called the school and asked them to change it to only UMKC on the spread sheet (for personal reasons) and the person working at the desk said "yeah, no problem at all!". well it must have been a problem... i went in and talked to them about it and they said that they might be able to flip-flop me or just switch me over... i'm hoping for the best!

ps. to those of the who are worried about being waitlisted; i heard that last year the waitlist --> acceptance went all the way into the 40's (like 48 i think). so try not to worry too much! good luck to you all!

ps. to those of the who are worried about being waitlisted; i heard that last year the waitlist --> acceptance went all the way into the 40's (like 48 i think). so try not to worry too much! good luck to you all!

I already know 4 people that are declining their acceptance, so that will definitely push me up on the waitlist. I should find something out by the end of May. I hope to meet you in the fall.

Each year, they have a consistent minimum number that they take from the waitlist: 20. So Tm you will be among those. I might even tell them that I want you to fill my spot :thumbup:. So hope and pray, you will find a smile at the end. I imagine what you are going through; IT IS NOT EASY AT ALL!!!!

Each year, they have a consistent minimum number that they take from the waitlist: 20. So Tm you will be among those. I might even tell them that I want you to fill my spot :thumbup:. So hope and pray, you will find a smile at the end. I imagine what you are going through; IT IS NOT EASY AT ALL!!!!

That would be awesome if you could!!!! :) I am very confident that I will get a call at the end of May. I am definitely being proactive so that I can still leave a good impression on the Dean and the staff. You are a great person. Thanks!

That would be awesome if you could!!!! :) I am very confident that I will get a call at the end of May. I am definitely being proactive so that I can still leave a good impression on the Dean and the staff. You are a great person. Thanks!

I also declined my acceptance.

That is my late Christmas present to you :)

I am number 33 but only applied to umkc as i do not wish to move my family. I can only hope as I am 27 and dont plan on trying to much more :(. should have went out of highschool i was set oh well.

ok from what im seeing it looks as if the number to not accepting is around 12-13??? oh wow thats getting me closer this is going to be a long summer :) wish we could compile a list. anyone have the time on their hands lol.

ok from what im seeing it looks as if the number to not accepting is around 12-13??? oh wow thats getting me closer this is going to be a long summer :) wish we could compile a list. anyone have the time on their hands lol.

12-13? I have only seen about 5 or 6. If you know more than me, that is awesome!! I am moving to the KC area, so I made sure that I gave Katie my new address and phone number. Paul, I hope to meet you in the fall. BTW, what campus did you apply to?

I will be going to KU. --- In state tuition for me + only a 4 year school = easy decision.

Yeah, I thought the same way. The only school I applied to is KU and thank God I got in :)

tm... Hope you'll receive yours soon :) .. you will have it :thumbup:

Yeah, I thought the same way. The only school I applied to is KU and thank God I got in :)

tm... Hope you'll receive yours soon :) .. you will have it :thumbup:

Yeah, I was bummed when I first received the letter. I am Type A and do not like to settle for second best. Now that I am truly weighing my odds, I have faith that I will get accepted. I just have to wait another month, but that's ok.

I am waiting a few days to see how my finals turn out but I was accepted to both KU and UMKC. I plan on taking KU's offer since it is one last year even though it is out of state

Is there anyone else that got accepted for fall 2010 that already has a Bachelor's degree? Do you know how to get federal aid or low interest (fixed) loans to cover the cost for the first two years since we are considered ungrads.?
I obviously don't qualify for parent Plus loans, yet we aren't qualified for GraduatePLUS loans since we aren't professional students until 3rd year. Stafford loans only cover 12,500/year and that's not enough to cover tuition, let alone cost of living for in-state.

Help or ideas, please! :(

I'm in a similar situation since i will be attendint STL College of Pharm in the fall. the first year is undergrad, and i have the same issues. I know 12500 is not going to put a dent in the 46726 they quoted me for COA. We are independent students, but can't get grad plus until we are considered graduate students in the programs (for me that will be next school year). I have a bachelors and master's degrees. I think we are stuck with private loans for right now (which i don't want to do, but will have to...)

Is there anyone else that got accepted for fall 2010 that already has a Bachelor's degree? Do you know how to get federal aid or low interest (fixed) loans to cover the cost for the first two years since we are considered ungrads.?
I obviously don't qualify for parent Plus loans, yet we aren't qualified for GraduatePLUS loans since we aren't professional students until 3rd year. Stafford loans only cover 12,500/year and that's not enough to cover tuition, let alone cost of living for in-state.

Help or ideas, please! :(

So, as of Friday I moved from #19 to #12 on the waitlist (span of about 3-4 weeks). I hope that UMKC main campus does a major jump and I get accepted next week. I am getting very anxious and impatient!!!