• Forums Updates - Tuesday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Tuesday, June 11 starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

UMKC dental school: dean Pyle leaked letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMKCdentalStudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Attached is a screenshot of a letter written by UMKC's head of oral surgery and two dental school professors emeritus to the provost of UMKC. It appears that their concerns did not receive a response and presumably, as a result, this letter was leaked and has now been well-circulated among faculty and students.

I am sharing this because the nature of the dean Marsha Pyle's actions against students graduating from the program is certainly of interest to those deciding which school to attend, especially if you are thinking of pursuing specialty programs.

Feel free to distribute and re-share. If you are considering investing hundreds of thousands of dollars and trusting your future career to a program, you deserve transparency.

Cvebz1u.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• UMKCPyleLetter.png
    UMKCPyleLetter.png
    117.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow. I have heard rumblings about the dean there but did not realize it was such widespread discontent. There are always two sides to a story though....

Sounds like this lady's on a power trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Attached is a screenshot of a letter written by UMKC's head of oral surgery and two dental school professors emeritus to the provost of UMKC. It appears that their concerns did not receive a response and presumably, as a result, this letter was leaked and has now been well-circulated among faculty and students.

I am sharing this because the nature of the dean Marsha Pyle's actions against students graduating from the program is certainly of interest to those deciding which school to attend, especially if you are thinking of pursuing specialty programs.

Feel free to distribute and re-share. If you are considering investing hundreds of thousands of dollars and trusting your future career to a program, you deserve transparency.

also xpost on Reddit

Cvebz1u.jpg
This is something.

Found this thread. Just staying focused myself...thought I'd share this letter.

July 19, 2017

Dear School of Dentistry Faculty, Staff and Students,

As you know, we are working in a time when all public higher education institutions, UMKC included, are receiving significantly less in state appropriations while also experiencing greater expectations for accountability from regulators and accreditors. At the same time we are serving more students than ever before, who require increased levels of support to address a wider range of needs. What this means for us at UMKC is that each academic unit in the University is challenged to address its mission with greater accountability for its operation.

This work can be downright difficult, and making hard decisions may bring with it criticism from those who disagree with or feel they have been negatively impacted by change. As Provost, I am always willing to listen and to investigate concerns when they are brought to my attention. I followed that philosophy when a current faculty member and two emeritus faculty members presented me with a list of 15 concerns regarding Dean Pyle, which they then disseminated widely in the dental community before their concerns could be addressed.

After an extensive investigation, my conclusion is that the concerns raised by these individuals were based in large part on misunderstanding of or lack of knowledge about the facts underlying their areas of concern. Furthermore, a significant number of individuals cited in the letter who allegedly supported the authors’ concerns have refuted the characterizations and opinions attributed to them.

During the timeframe of my review, the School of Dentistry faculty voted overwhelmingly to affirm their support for Dean Marsha Pyle and reproached the authors of the letter for the disservice they have done to the program and the unprofessional way in which they expressed their opinions. The faculty's affirmation of the Dean further supported conclusions from the formal three-year Dean’s evaluation conducted by Faculty Senate in Fall 2016, which showed a strong majority in support of Dean Pyle and urged that she be retained in her position. Based on my review, I have come to the conclusion that Dean Pyle has engaged in responsible, respectful work at UMKC and has carried out her commitment to improve our School of Dentistry on behalf of our faculty, staff, students and our Kansas City community.

I want to emphasize my support for Dean Pyle, the School of Dentistry and the exceptional teaching, scholarship and service of our faculty, staff and students. You are committed to high quality dental education. You provide high quality oral health for the citizens of Kansas City and beyond, saving our community more than $650,000 a year in unreimbursed care. You work closely with the Missouri State Dental Board to assist the state in staying on the leading edge of licensure issues. Your research, health outreach and partnerships at the local and state level enrich the academic community and our region.

Now that this review is complete, it is time to re-focus on the important work of the School of Dentistry, and to work together to address state budget cuts to higher education and the rapidly changing world of health care. I continue to look to you all for leadership and innovation as we work to ensure the School of Dentistry meets the highest standards in dental education, quality of care and financial stability. Thank you, as always, for all the good you do for UMKC.

Respectfully,

Barbara A. Bichelmeyer, Ph.D.
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor

University of Missouri-Kansas City | Kansas City, MO 64110 | (816) 235-1000
UMKC is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution.

That sounds like a daily soap from those two letters.....:boom::boom::boom:It sounds interesting to work there, but ultimately damaging to the students who have to deal with divided faculty.