UMich vs. UVA vs. UT-San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cufftear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on Michigan, UVA, and UT San Antonio as far as quality of program, national prestige, getting fellowships, etc? I like all these programs and they will all be high on my list, but I'm looking for any insights people might have.

Members don't see this ad.

Cufftear said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on Michigan, UVA, and UT San Antonio as far as quality of program, national prestige, getting fellowships, etc? I like all these programs and they will all be high on my list, but I'm looking for any insights people might have.

Did one of my aways in SA. Definitely not a cush program. They seem to work hard all 4 yrs of training. However I would put them up against any program as far as training, knowledge and compentency. In last year's graduating class 4/5 went into competitive pain fellowships. Attendings and faculty are great. Both Dimutri and Walsh are renown in our field. Residents get along very well. For single people SA is not a very exciting town. With all that being said, I will be ranking them high.

Fellowships, we've been pretty competitive. One of the seniors is staying in house for the PM&R pain fellowship.

Two others got an anesthesia pain spot, and the Cleveland Clinic spine spot.

This coming year's senior class, however, will really show how competitive we are. 4 of 6 are contemplating applying for pain spots.

PM me if you have any more specific questions about our program.

PS The chair search is going....and going....and going....and going.