UMich vs UChicago vs Pitt vs UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyDad'sBonJovi

Reaction score
I'm from the midwest, but am currently working (gap year employment) at a hospital in Houston, TX. I didn't have TX residency, but applied through the TMDSAS for the heck of it, and ended up getting accepted to my top choice from that application, UT Southwestern. Normal AMCAS application schools I've been accepted to are Pitt, University of Michigan, and University of Chicago - Pritzker. I need your help in deciding where to go!

I'm interested in surgical subspecialties, but I don't see myself doing academic medicine. I would much rather work in the private sector, as I'm especially interested in sports medicine.

Also (important!) I have a full ride to all 4 of these schools through the Air Force HPSP scholarship, and so money won't be a huge factor in deciding. And also, I know most ppl prefer living in a bigger city (Chicago, Dallas), but I'm from a small town in the midwest (but living in a big city right now), and love different aspects of both big and small cities - so there's not too much of a preference there. Simply put, which school do you guys think is the best for my career goals, residency applications, etc? If you were in my shoes, where are you deciding to go this fall??

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't like big towns then I say UMich. I'm from a very small town and I don't mind Ann Arbor at all besides the traffic. If you want a big city then UChicago.

If you don't wanna move too far then UTSW. You can't go wrong though. Congrats!

Note: also very biased

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Where did you like the students the most? the curriculum? the unique opportunities of the school? the city? the weather? the proximity to friends and family?

All of these schools are great. I don't think the prestige difference is really relevant here

It really depends on what you want to do and what you want out of a school. If you want to do ortho surgery, Pitt has a significant edge over the others. But in general Pritzker and UMich (and perhaps Pitt) will give you a bump in reputation outside of TX.

Personally I would choose Pritzker for the small supportive atmosphere, the endless research opportunities, the ability to do an MBA at one of the top business schools in the country (you say that you are interested in private sector) and the city of Chicago. Everybody I know who has attended that school has loved it and has matched into the field of their choice. That being said they do have a reputation for churning out leaders in academic medicine, and it will be a more academic and research-oriented place. However, I think this will only help you come match time - even if you aren't interested in academic medicine, publications are extremely important.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user