UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTtoDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I thought I would start a thread for us lucky folks who have been accepted to the best DO school in region. I hope to get to know you, my fellow classmates, and talk about some common concerns before we have our White Coat ceremony on July 31, 2011!

Members don't see this ad.

So I thought I would start a thread for us lucky folks who have been accepted to the best DO school in region. I hope to get to know you, my fellow classmates, and talk about some common concerns before we have our White Coat ceremony on July 31, 2011!

You've got that right. I can't wait to start! You doing the pre-matric?

Btw... I recently started up a Facebook group for our class: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_170482626318298

It is about time!! Glad to see our school's thread to be up here, I can't wait to see you guys when classes start!

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see this thread here. To the OP, did you get your acceptance and acceptance packet a long time ago, or was the white coat ceremony date posted somewhere else?

Glad to see this thread here. To the OP, did you get your acceptance and acceptance packet a long time ago, or was the white coat ceremony date posted somewhere else?

nice to finally see this thread:) hello future classmates...cant wait to see u all on the acceptance day!

I got the package a long time ago...it says that the white coat is July 31st followed by orientation Aug 1-5.

Eye Cue...it seems like we keep missing each other online..lol...i am also interested in attending the pre-matric prog...filled out the form...but havent hear from them since...have u heard anything from them?

Eye Cue...it seems like we keep missing each other online..lol...i am also interested in attending the pre-matric prog...filled out the form...but havent hear from them since...have u heard anything from them?

I faxed the form to them, but didn't hear back. Maybe I'll give them a call this week, there's no rush though.

Hi everyone! I was accepted on Nov. 19th and received my admissions package yesterday! I'm really excited :)

Sweet, I was accepted Nov. 19th and received mine yesterday too.

I was accepted on Dec 17.. Woo hoo...
but I still ahve more interview coming up. Can someone pls tell me the pros/cons of UMDNJ.. it's really hard to compare since this school did not have the tour/curriculum intro etc that other schools had during the interview.

Hey hey everyone. Just mailed my deposit today! I'm also a November 19th acceptee. So anyone from outside the region? Say Florida or California?

but I still ahve more interview coming up. Can someone pls tell me the pros/cons of UMDNJ.. it's really hard to compare since this school did not have the tour/curriculum intro etc that other schools had during the interview.

If you have any specific questions, I can try my best to answer them for you.

This was my top choice school... the faculty is amazing and friendly, the curriculum has a nice design, great mix of rotation sites, and I've shadowed a few physicians who all rave about the school.

Not to mention, UMDNJ-SOM was ranked 20th out of ALL medical schools in the country for geriatrics. :)

During your interview there was no tour? Because they usually do a small tour. Anyway, they have two open houses a year I think and you can find it on their website. One is in April. During these they give a lecture about the field, the school, the curriculum, etc. Then there is a lunch and a big tour of the classes and labs. (All but the hospital).

As far as pros/cons: Clean, new facilities. Smaller class, teaching-oriented profs (from what I hear). They have lectures recordings online and all of the other techno goodies that the majority of modern med schools have. They have a north Jersey and south Jersey clerkship track to accomodate students from any part of the state. They frequently place residents in state. If you are in state the tuition would be good obviously. I'm not sure about cons...maybe if you don't like the location. The school seems to be the best among osteopathic schools and UMDNJ itself is one of the best systems. I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think of now.

Hi! classmate! :)

Is anyone interested in PBLC?? I really want to know more about it but don't know where to start. Is there any current SOM student who can tell me more about it??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, future classmates!!

We are all going to meet each other on Accepted Students' Day (3/18/11), I can't wait to meet all of you!

I guess we don't need to dress so formally for this one, right?

Besides, I was wondering has anyone received any status update regarding the pre-matriculation program?

Greatly appreciated!

Hi, future classmates!!

We are all going to meet each other on Accepted Students' Day (3/18/11), I can't wait to meet all of you!

I guess we don't need to dress so formally for this one, right?

Besides, I was wondering has anyone received any status update regarding the pre-matriculation program?

Greatly appreciated!

Where did you get the information about Accepted Students' Day??

Hey,

Welcome to new members of Class of 2015! :) I'm a 1st year, and also a PBL student, and I saw someone post a question about it. I'd be happy to answer any questions about SOM or PBL, either here or you can private message me. :)

The school is great, everyone is really friendly. As I mentioned, I am in PBL, which stands for Problem-Based Learning. It's a separate curriculum, in our class there's 8 students. You have to apply for it separately, after you've been accepted. (separate interview, etc.). The application process is based more on personality than grades/stats, they are looking to find people who work well together because you'll be with those same 6-8 students for 2 years.

So back to the program....we have class 3 days a week, usually 9-12, plus OMM and professionalism. In our classes, we don't have lectures. We get cases, currently paper format but they are switching us to electronic modules around April. There's a big book that's the case, it lists a few details on the front (ie Blake Smith, 24 year old presents to the emergency room complaining of a burning spot on his tongue and slurred speech".). We come up with differential diagnoses, and anything we don't understand or don't know, we make into learning issues; those get assigned (we each get one, max of 2), and we look them up and present them to our classmates on the next class. We ask the patient questions (we have a question book, so we go through first with questions like "Reason for the visit" Q1, and someone reads the answer...we go from history of present illness to review of systems to exams and then tests. (like doing a regular history & physical) Half the class is devoted to learning issues, half to solving the case. Most of our learning is on our own, through textbooks/self-study.

They've been doing PBL for over 10 years and say we do just as well if not better on the boards than our classmates. As I mentioned, we don't have instructors, but we do have facilitators, who range from professors to clinicians to 3rd or 4th year PBL students, who guide us and keep us on track if we get off on a tangent. PBL is not for everyone, but if you don't learn well in a lecture format, you may like PBL. We have less frequent exams, we have 5 per year (the lecture track students have exams every 3-4 weeks) (not counting OMM exams). We're straight pass/fail instead of the honors/high pass/pass/low pass/fail that the other students have. (we also are straight pass/fail for OMM & Professionalism as long as we attend those classes; if we miss a certain amount, we go to the other grading scale). Our tests are board-style questions, and they intentionally put material they know we will not have covered to get us used to how the boards will be; so our pass rate is lower than the lecture curriculum. (ie, we need a 45% to pass instead of 65%). For example, our last test, we all thought at first we got a 2nd year exam by mistake because there was a lot of material we did not expect.

I should mention too, we are welcome to attend the lectures when we aren't in class; and we have access to the videotaped lectures too and presentations. I should also mention, we also start earlier than the lecture students with standardized patients - they are actors who come and are told how to present, we do a history and physical exam. Our first SP lab was a month into school; we just had our 3rd SP lab; the lecture based 1st year students haven't started SP labs yet. Also, we have our own cadaver but anatomy isn't 'mandatory' per se, we set up our own sessions, and usually do 2+ sessions per module.

Sorry for the very long message. I hope this answers some of your questions about PBL, and as I said, feel free to reply or message me with any other questions.

Beth

Hi! classmate! :)

Is anyone interested in PBLC?? I really want to know more about it but don't know where to start. Is there any current SOM student who can tell me more about it??

Last edited:
Where did you get the information about Accepted Students' Day??

I first got it from the email they sent to me. I am pretty sure by now you have already received the mail from UMDNJ-SOM regarding this day's event. Sorry for my late reply, I haven't visited this site for quite a while.

Hi everyone! Congrats!
I just wanted to reach out to anyone coming from far away or is married. My husband is finishing his second year and we moved 500 miles for school. It's a really rough path to be the spouse supporting financially and emotionally and I wish a "wiser" wife would have reached out to me in the beginning. Feel free to PM me!

Hey guys,

How does everyone feel about getting a roommate in medical school?
Is it a good idea, bad idea?

Is anyone in the class of 2015 looking for a roommate?

Thanks

I'm wondering the same thing lol.... I might be looking for a roomie, not sure yet. I checked out a few places yesterday after Accepted Students Day and I think The Village at Voorhees is my favorite.

Guys,
Anyone have an idea about the health and vaccination requirements? Is there a form that my dr. should sign after the physical and where exactly do we send it to?

Two questions. First I was accepted almost 2 weeks ago and only received that first red folder, there is another more indepth package that comes correct? Second, I am looking for a roomate for next year. Seems like the Village is the place to be, at least from what little looking I did in the area.

Hi Dieselx33,
I'm not sure how it will work with you because you just got accepted. I got my first red folder back in December and the second one in February (it had info about Accepted Students Day, Financial aid and some other stuff). Maybe call April and see if she can send it to you.

I'm probably looking for a roomate too, but by your username, I'm guessing you're a guy, right? I'm looking for a female roomie....

Renee

Hi Dieselx33,
I'm not sure how it will work with you because you just got accepted. I got my first red folder back in December and the second one in February (it had info about Accepted Students Day, Financial aid and some other stuff). Maybe call April and see if she can send it to you.

I'm probably looking for a roomate too, but by your username, I'm guessing you're a guy, right? I'm looking for a female roomie....

Renee

Yes I am a guy. I emailed Paula and sorted it all out after I made that post, so everything should be in order and on its way.

I was wondering the same thing. Are they going to ask us about the information, or do we just send it in ?

Guys,
Anyone have an idea about the health and vaccination requirements? Is there a form that my dr. should sign after the physical and where exactly do we send it to?

I'm from California! Where are you from??

Hey hey everyone. Just mailed my deposit today! I'm also a November 19th acceptee. So anyone from outside the region? Say Florida or California?

Hey everyone,

Just got my acceptance call this past week. I'm from California too. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Also, could anyone explain to me how the housing situation works itself out?

Thanks so much.

Hey everyone,

Just got my acceptance call this past week. I'm from California too. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Also, could anyone explain to me how the housing situation works itself out?

Thanks so much.

Housing seems to be a pretty independent thing at SOM. The area has a whole bunch of different apt. complexes around that are pretty close to the school. It really just depends on whether you want to live with someone or not and which apartment complex you want to live in or if you want to try to rent a house with some people. I'm actually looking for a roommate so if you're looking for someone to live with let me know.

At accepted students day we got a whole packet of living options in the area and some descriptions. It might be online but if not I could probably scan it and send it to you.

congrats on getting accepted :)

Hi everybody,

I just got the call from Paula yesterday and I'm so excited!

I am from Connecticut, non-trad, with a 3 year-old daughter and was wondering if anyone knows where the good areas for public schools are, family friendly places, etc.

See you guys in a few months!

@ Sinbad: me too, I got a 4 yr old little bugger. Maybe we can have playdates once in a while :)

Congratulations to everybody who was accepted, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys next year!

I'm finishing up my first year and I remember how much of a pain it was figuring out housing when I first started. If anybody has any questions about the areas feel free to message me!

Also, if anybody is interested in getting a house with a few 2nd years for next year, we're looking for another roommate so message me!

Hey everyone, I just got accepted into UMDNJ '15 =) I look forward to meeting all my new classmates!

Hey everyone , so excited to join med school in august! I'm looking for a roommate so if anyone is in the same position my name is shivani sharma and you can email me at [email protected] or friend me on Facebook , I'm looking at two bedroom apartments next week !

Hi Everyone!

I am an accepted OOS student and wondering if the tuition policy is still hanging around after all the hikes and budget issues.

Will they still allow you to get in state tuition after the 1st year? I also read some places that you can get in state tuition before even beginning 1st year if you switch drivers license. Can't get any certain answer though

Thanks!

Hey guys! Welcome to UMDNJ-SOM! I'm currently the president of the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) at school. My class (2014) just got done with our final exams of the semester, and if anyone has any questions about the curricula or anything, please let me know!

I just wanted to ask you guys, does anyone know the schedule for your Orientation during the 1st week of August? I will be giving out free Netter texts and SOMA CDs (a great study tool with past exams, study sheets, etc.), and just need to know when/where would be best to do this.

Also, does your class have 150 students, like ours?

Thanks! Again, can't wait to meet everyone!
-Gus

hi everyone,

first off, congrats to all that got in.

i had a quick question about the prematriculation program. is registering for it the same thing as registering for UMDNJ-SOM(as in that i am now legally obligated to attend)? i only ask because i am still on a couple of waiting lists at other schools. while i'm thrilled to be accepted to UMDNJ, i have friends and family in MA, and it would just make a lot more sense, considering my situation, to attend those schools.

thanks in advance for your help.

Hey guys! Welcome to UMDNJ-SOM! I'm currently the president of the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) at school. My class (2014) just got done with our final exams of the semester, and if anyone has any questions about the curricula or anything, please let me know!

I just wanted to ask you guys, does anyone know the schedule for your Orientation during the 1st week of August? I will be giving out free Netter texts and SOMA CDs (a great study tool with past exams, study sheets, etc.), and just need to know when/where would be best to do this.

Also, does your class have 150 students, like ours?

Thanks! Again, can't wait to meet everyone!
-Gus

It looks like they are slowly updating this website: http://som.umdnj.edu/orientation/

It doesn't have a schedule up yet though, but you can check it periodically; it will probably be up sometime soon. And yes, as far as I recall we have 150 students. :)

And for whoever asked about pre-matric, my friend said she tried to sign up for it and the classroom program was filled a while ago. The only option is to complete the program online. I have no idea if it binds you to UMDNJ though. You can probably contact the Center for Teaching and Learning to ask

Hey guys, I wanted to send this to your entire class, but I guess they have not made an email list yet... Sorry if its redundant, but I just figured I would send you guys this information too seeing as I already sent it to my own class!

This is the email that was supposed to be sent out :)

Hello everyone,

I'm no insurance salesman, but I figured I would let everyone know about the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) health insurance plans.

Here are the highlights that I have discerned as differences between the plans:

1. For full year coverage (both semesters), a person under the age of 30 will pay $2,172 with SOMA plan 1 (co-pay plan), or $1,296 with SOMA plan 2 (high deductible plan). The UMDNJ plan costs more, at $2,444 for full year coverage for students of any age. Over age 30, the SOMA plan 1 costs a bit more than the UMDNJ plan, at $2,580.

2. Spouse insurance for SOMA plan 1 over a year costs $4,392, while the UMDNJ plan costs more, at $6,703. SOMA plan 2 costs $2,460. That is for spouses under age 30, if over, the SOMA plan rates increase, but are both still cheaper than the UMDNJ plan.

3. Child insurance through the SOMA plan 1 costs $3,252 for a full year, while plan 2 costs $1,968. The UMDNJ plan costs more $3,644.

4. The SOMA visual plan and dental plans are simple add ons, but the UMDNJ plans look like they are with different insurance companies all together. It was hard to get the rates for the plans that the UMDNJ plan was suggesting, but the rates for the SOMA plan are $16 dollars a month for vision and $38 a month for dental (for students). Spouses and children can also obviously be covered for comparable rates.

I personally like the SOMA plan more. It is more flexible and has more options. It is also cheaper in general!

There is more summarized information at the SOMA insurance plan website here: http://www.somainsurance.com/main.html

Here is the info website for the UMDNJ plan:
http://www.universityhealthplans.com/temp/UMDNJ/intro.html

I encourage everyone to check this out! If the SOMA plan(s) look better to you, it could mean saving a bunch of cash in the end.

Thanks!
Gus Gesumaria
OMS-II, SOMA President

Hello SOMers!

I graduated from SOM in 2004, residency in 2009 and I am now an Orthopaedic Surgeon (the best field by the way) Seems like yesterday as I have only been an attending for 2 years now.

I have a quiet and pleasant 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo down the road from Stratford which I will be renting starting Aug 2011. It is located to conveniently access each of the hospitals in the shortest times possible. I know how it is to adjust, especially since I was an out of state student. I know how room-mate situations can change after the first year but this place is good for either one or two people. $950/month. I currently live out of the country- in the Navy, but please PM me or call/email my agent if you are interested: [email protected]
Telephone (856) 784-5303

I wish you all the best in your time at Stratford and beyond. Work hard, play harder.

Hi! I just got off the waitlist and am now looking for an apartment! Please email me at [email protected] or PM me if you are looking for a roommate or know of any available rooms! I look forward to meeting you all!
Devangi

anyone with information about Chadwick Village apartments - from current or past residents?

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I just got accepted off the waitlist this morning and am currently looking for an apartment around the school. Please let me know if you are looking for a roommate or know of anyone who is interested. My email is [email protected]. Thank you!

-Chwan

anyone with information about Chadwick Village apartments - from current or past residents?

Ditto. Considering this complex and would like any feedback if possible

Hey everyone, I know it's a little late in the game, but are any guys still looking for a roommate or know of anyone who is? If so, please let me know, thanks

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone has been having a great summer! Soon, we will all be studying like crazy instead of going to the beach every other day...

But, there is some good news! The Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) will be giving out FREE Netter anatomy atlases to new members (an $80.00 book). As many can attest to, this atlas is absolutely fantastic for studying anatomy. It is a guarantee that everyone will have this text, so why not get the text AND membership to the largest, most active, and recognizable club on campus?

With your membership ($75.00 +$3.00 Paypal fee) starting orientation week, simply present your receipt to any SOMA board member. Believe me, we will be easy to find! We will be accepting new members all throughout orientation week.

Don't forget all of the other fantastic benefits there are to being a member! It truly does pay for itself! There are lots of discounts, free events, etc. that only members will be privy to during the upcoming year!

You can join up when you see us (via a computer and payment through paypal) or you can join up on your own (using your own computer) during orientation week. Simply print out your membership receipt, hand it to one of the board members of SOMA, and viola! Free Netters Anatomy Text book!

Hope to see everyone represent UMDNJ as a SOMA member to the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and beyond!

To a great year!
Robert "Gus" Gesumaria
SOMA UMDNJ Chapter President, OMS-II

This forum how I met my first med school roommate 8 years ago, and now that I'm finally done residency, i'll be leaving the area and am looking for a med student to rent my condo.

Its minutes from the school, 1 bedroom, 2nd room study, 1 bath, fireplace, newer appliances, safe and very well maintained. pls email for flyer/pics. $975/month

Dilip

[email protected]