UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scissor88

OMS-IV
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I know it's early, but I'm excited to be in my number one school and thought I would start a new thread so we could begin to get to know each other.

Members don't see this ad.

I am still in the process of applying and getting my AACOMAS application verified. I take the January 29th MCAT, I was told it wasnt too late, but what do you think? Sorry I know this thread is for students who made it, but I figured I'd ask anyone interested in answering :)

Some schools accept Jan. MCAT scores, but as a retake...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! This is my first choice school, and I'm so excited for school to start up and meet you all! Have you guys heard anything from the school since receiving your acceptance packet?

Hey guys! This is my first choice school, and I'm so excited for school to start up and meet you all! Have you guys heard anything from the school since receiving your acceptance packet?

not yet. any idea when we might?

any day now, april told me it would be after NYE

Hi all-

Also accepted into the Class of 2014. Looking forward to meeting everyone at Accepted Students Day on March 26.

Hi everyone! So excited to meet you all in March!

SpaceDoc- good luck on the MCATS!

I am still in the process of applying and getting my AACOMAS application verified. I take the January 29th MCAT, I was told it wasnt too late, but what do you think? Sorry I know this thread is for students who made it, but I figured I'd ask anyone interested in answering :)

Yeah I mean figure you won't get your results back till the end of March...unless your scores are stellar, along with a pretty good GPA, I don't see how you could be squeezed into whatever remaining seats they might have that late in the game. I don't think they look at your file until it's complete with everything, MCAT scores included. That being said, you might have a better chance if it's a re-take. And very few schools will discourage you from applying (read:submitting a juicy application fee) anyway.

Undergrad schools/degrees everyone?

face it, there aren't many better ice breakers

I'll start.

The College of New Jersey/Psych

Undergrad schools/degrees everyone?

face it, there aren't many better ice breakers

I'll start.

The College of New Jersey/Psych

....i used to live in eb!

i'm not 100% sure i'm going to umdnj yet, but i'll play haha

hi i'm x and i went to boston college and was a bio major/environmental studies minor :)

University of the Sciences Philadelphia Biology/Forensic Science Minor

Anyone looking for a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
new jersey institute of technology/biomedical engineering :)

yay som!

undergrad-Rutgers 06'
major- American Studies (yeah....I know.)
post bacc- Rutgers 09'

definitely looking for a roommate!! or 2!

undergrad: Fairleigh Dickinson '08
major: psych and spanish
post bacc: Georgetown '09

Cannot WAIT to move back to NJ

Congrats everyone on getting accepted. If anyone still has questions you can PM me. I am currently a first year at SOM. I am also in the AF HPSP program.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Quick question - what are you wearing for accepted students day?

Hey!

Just called to see and the admissions office said business casual.

See you tomorrow!

hey everyone.. looking forward to seeing you all at accepted students day tomorrow.. UMDNJ-SOM was also my first choice school so when i got that phone call i was ecstatic

Rutgers University '10 - Biomedical Engineering

Hey everyone!

Congrats on being accepted to SOM :)!

I am a current fist year PBL medical student

I live in a 2 BR apt in Voorhees --- it's lovely and huge
there's a pool and a small fitness room... & nice/quiet neighbors
I'm looking for a roommate...
rent would be $550 plus electric ($30-60/mo) & internet ($25/mo) (heat & hot water are included)

I don't spend much time at home but I do enjoy living w someone...not as lonely thru all the hours of studying ;) hehe

l think April forwarded an email from me...so respond to it if you're looking for a place to live for next year :)

again, congratulations!
~Anna

Good luck everyone who decides to come to UMDNJ-SOM. The professors are great but administration staff are very disorganized. They do not want to work and make students life way harder. Be prepared to get frustrated by them!!!! I really regret for deciding to come to UMDNJ-SOM.

Good luck everyone who decides to come to UMDNJ-SOM. The professors are great but administration staff are very disorganized. They do not want to work and make students life way harder. Be prepared to get frustrated by them!!!! I really regret for deciding to come to UMDNJ-SOM.

can I ask how so? I'm really excited for my interview at this school but have come across some people who aren't as excited about the school now that they are there.

I tried to PM dozitgetchahi after I saw his post on the pros and cons thread but i guess he's been busy. can anyone comment on the curriculum being implemented?

and are there problems with losing some rotation sites?

hey thx for the response elftown. i definitely just wanted to get some perspective. how are you liking it so far? are u in class all day or do you feel like you have sufficient time to study on your own and for other things?

and just how much bigger are they making the class size?

that's great to hear. the hours seem very manageable. from the couple lectures you've had so far, are they pretty good or just reading off slides?

i was curious about the study habits of current medical students and some people have echoed not going to class and just spending the day getting the notes, listening/watching video lectures, and studying on their own. i guess the students at these other schools felt the lectures weren't that helpful at all

Hey guys, I have another question. Since I'm OOS, the tuition hikes have caught my attention. Have you guys gotten any word of how much the tuition could potentially increase yearly?

thx for the info elftown! I will probably be coming back to this thread if I have more questions.

and im curious, are there a lot of SDNers at UMDNJ-SOM??? don't seem to find too many!

The state budget gets released every July, so until then, it's difficult to know whether tuition will need to be raised or not. They used to, and might still, allow out-of-state students to get in-state tuition after the first year if you change your license and something else. That's probably worth giving financial aid a call about.

I just followed up on this recently. You need to change your driver's license and submit a copy of your lease. One year after establishing residency, you're counted as in-state (contact the administration at that time to get your residence status switched).