UMDNJ-SOM at Cherry Hill, NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone (medical students, residents, and/or attendings) provide any feedback regarding this D.O. psychiatry residency program? My brother-in-law is applying there this upcoming match, but is from the West Coast originially.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from a program just about half an hour from this one, and its also part of the UMDNJ system, yet I hadn't had any interaction with them until the end of my 4th year.

While I was Chief Resident at UMDNJ-Camden & Atlantic Regional Medical Center, I needed to pull in grand rounds speakers. I figured since they were close, and they had psychiatry professors, why not ask them? That's what got me to interact with them (and remember this is my PGY-IV yeari--I had no interaction with them before and it was I who broke the ice). They couldn't give me any psychiatrists for grand rounds in the time frame I provided them. I also called their Chief Resident & asked him if we could mutually work on something together. The guy called me back & seemed to have a -whatever- attitude. Nothing ever came of it.

I really can't tell you much but here is what I do know--some of it may not be relevant for your purposes.

Their program director is very skilled in psychotherapy. At least that's the impression I got since he gave several excellent grand rounds on the topic at NJ-Psychiatric Association meetings. I remember he did some work over the standard in the area, but I forgot what that work was (authored a book?). I talked to him on a few occasions over the phone & met him at an NJPA meeting. He seemed like a nice guy.

Cherry Hill is a particularly wealthy area in NJ which is already one of the more wealthier states in the US. However I don't know what the patient population is like. I figure Cherry Hill-you'd get a lot of middle to upper class caucasian patients. There's a large Jewish population in Cherry Hill, & their school system is very good. I of course realize that several programs have satellite hospitals not in the same area that will have a different population. I don't think you'd work in Camden much since that's where my program was, and we had pretty much no interaction with them.

Finally, and I never understood this, hardly anyone notices this program. Whenever people think of Psychiatry programs in NJ, everyone thinks of 3--UMDNJ-Newark, New Brunswick or Camden. Very few think of the Cherry Hill or Trinitas program (the latter just recently started). I don't know why this is. (There's also Atlantic Regional Medical Center, but that program is directly attached to the Camden program so they're really the same program). The Cherry Hill program from what I understand has been open for years. I don't mean this as a critcism against them because I don't know of anything bad about this program. If you ask several psychiatrists in NJ which program exist, they'll only name the 3 I mentioned.

Its actually kinda wierd. I had more interaction with the New Brunswick program even though that program was a 3 hr drive away from my own.

Last edited:
I have been on several rotations at SOM and was in fact on an inpatient rotation. Myself as well as all of the other students liked this rotation and both the attending and the resident on staff were extremely helpful and willing to teach. While I ultimately am not going into psychiatry I felt ready for my test by the end of the rotation and would recommend this program to anyone looking for a good psych month. -lm